PDA

View Full Version : What brand of spaghetti sauce do your kids like best?

Pages : [1] 2

g-mama
06-02-2005, 11:02 AM
I have been using the same sauce, one that I like - Barilla Marinara - forever and because it has chunks of tomatoes in it, my older ds finds it disgusting and spends more time picking the tomatoes out than eating. He's taught this to my 21 month old, who now picks the tomatoes, too, saying "yukky!"

I know homemade would be best, but I just don't often have/take the time to do that. Any suggestions?

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a third one coming in december '05!

g-mama
I have been using the same sauce, one that I like - Barilla Marinara - forever and because it has chunks of tomatoes in it, my older ds finds it disgusting and spends more time picking the tomatoes out than eating. He's taught this to my 21 month old, who now picks the tomatoes, too, saying "yukky!"

I know homemade would be best, but I just don't often have/take the time to do that. Any suggestions?

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

TraciG
06-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

TraciG
Prego marina

pritchettzoo
06-02-2005, 12:09 PM
You can just run Barilla through the blender, food processor, or use one of those stick thingies for your picky little ones. :)

I like smooth tomato sauce too, so I do it to homemade and jarred. But I'm weird.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

pritchettzoo
You can just run Barilla through the blender, food processor, or use one of those stick thingies for your picky little ones. :)

I like smooth tomato sauce too, so I do it to homemade and jarred. But I'm weird.

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

Mommy_Again
06-02-2005, 12:20 PM
My Italian family will want to disown me for not making homemade, but the Cuisinart is just such a PITA to clean.

I LOVE Prego. I usually buy the Mushroom Supreme and add my own meat and spices to it and it is fabulous. Sometimes I add other veggies or whatever I have in the fridge.

Gia Russo makes a tomato vodka sauce that I splurge on every once in a while for tortellini - it is sinful.

Mommy_Again
My Italian family will want to disown me for not making homemade, but the Cuisinart is just such a PITA to clean.

I LOVE Prego. I usually buy the Mushroom Supreme and add my own meat and spices to it and it is fabulous. Sometimes I add other veggies or whatever I have in the fridge.

Gia Russo makes a tomato vodka sauce that I splurge on every once in a while for tortellini - it is sinful.

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

Mommy_Again

trumansmom
06-02-2005, 01:05 PM
My DH is the picky one in our family! He insists on Ragu Traditional. I hate it, so I just use it as a base and add TONS of fresh basil, oregano, garlic, mushrooms and/or black olives (depending on mood and what we have on hand!), and usually some italian sausage. Both of my kids love it, so DH deals with it as a compromise.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

trumansmom
My DH is the picky one in our family! He insists on Ragu Traditional. I hate it, so I just use it as a base and add TONS of fresh basil, oregano, garlic, mushrooms and/or black olives (depending on mood and what we have on hand!), and usually some italian sausage. Both of my kids love it, so DH deals with it as a compromise.

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

amp
06-02-2005, 02:17 PM
So far my kid hasn't complained, although I'm sure he will now that I said that, and we use either Bertolli (formerly Five Brothers) sauce in Vidalia Onion and Roasted Garlic (or whatever else I find), or Classico tomato and basil that I can get at Sams' Club. I prefer the Bertolli, but it's a bit pricier. And I also will easily buy Prego in any flavor if it's on sale!

amp
So far my kid hasn't complained, although I'm sure he will now that I said that, and we use either Bertolli (formerly Five Brothers) sauce in Vidalia Onion and Roasted Garlic (or whatever else I find), or Classico tomato and basil that I can get at Sams' Club. I prefer the Bertolli, but it's a bit pricier. And I also will easily buy Prego in any flavor if it's on sale!

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

MelissaTC
06-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Another Bertolli fan here. Will also buy Classico. My DH hates tomato chunks so he is not always happy when I buy the fire roasted garlic and tomato variety. I try to stick to the Olive Oil and Garlic one and things seem to be ok!

MelissaTC
Another Bertolli fan here. Will also buy Classico. My DH hates tomato chunks so he is not always happy when I buy the fire roasted garlic and tomato variety. I try to stick to the Olive Oil and Garlic one and things seem to be ok!

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

MelissaTC

Wife_and_mommy
06-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Okay. Maybe I'm being way too ambitious but would you mind sharing your recipe? I've never made my own but it sounds darn yummy. :)

To the OP...I buy Barilla or Classico. When I give it to dd she doesn't seem to mind, yet......another thing to look forward to--"I don't like the things in the sauce, Mommy." :P

Edit: After deciding we're having spaghetti tonight, I saw I also use Bertolli.

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Hooray for us! We've made it 13 months.

Wife_and_mommy
Okay. Maybe I'm being way too ambitious but would you mind sharing your recipe? I've never made my own but it sounds darn yummy. :)

To the OP...I buy Barilla or Classico. When I give it to dd she doesn't seem to mind, yet......another thing to look forward to--"I don't like the things in the sauce, Mommy." :P

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

pritchettzoo
06-02-2005, 03:56 PM
I don't know if you meant mine or not. It's pretty easy. You can double it and freeze the rest.

1 huge can of tomato puree
1 huge can of ground tomatoes
1 can beef stock or consomme
1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Saute onion and garlic until translucent in large pot. Puree tomatoes with sauteed onion and garlic. Dump back in pot. Stir in beef stock. Salt to taste. Simmer for 30 mins or as long as you have. Add basil right before serving.

I also make this in the crock pot and add meatballs. I don't brown them first--just dump straight in the pot.

Anna

pritchettzoo
I don't know if you meant mine or not. It's pretty easy. You can double it and freeze the rest.

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Saute onion and garlic until translucent in large pot. Puree tomatoes with sauteed onion and garlic. Dump back in pot. Stir in beef stock. Salt to taste. Simmer for 30 mins or as long as you have. Add basil right before serving.

I also make this in the crock pot and add meatballs. I don't brown them first--just dump straight in the pot.

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

pritchettzoo

1 onion, diced
garlic to taste, diced
salt to taste
fresh basil to taste

Anna

Wife_and_mommy
06-02-2005, 04:40 PM
I absolutely meant you! :) Sorry for not clarifying.

This sounds pretty easy. I'll have to try it ASAP. One question from a cooking ignoramus: Is beef stock and consomme the same thing? I've never heard the word "consomme".

Yummy! Thanks for sharing!

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

This sounds pretty easy. I'll have to try it ASAP. One question from a cooking ignoramus: Is beef stock and consomme the same thing? I've never heard the word "consomme".

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

pritchettzoo
06-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Consomme is thicker and has more flavor, but broth will work. It's a canned soup--in with all the Campbell's on the soup aisle at the store. There's a little accent over the e but I don't know how to add it here!

It's also good to use as au jus to make easy French Dip sandwiches. Just get deli roast beef and heat it up in the soup. Put the meat on sandwich rolls (I like sourdough) and pour the soup into dipping cups. It tastes like you worked much harder than you did. :)

Anna

pritchettzoo
Consomme is thicker and has more flavor, but broth will work. It's a canned soup--in with all the Campbell's on the soup aisle at the store. There's a little accent over the e but I don't know how to add it here!

It's also good to use as au jus to make easy French Dip sandwiches. Just get deli roast beef and heat it up in the soup. Put the meat on sandwich rolls (I like sourdough) and pour the soup into dipping cups. It tastes like you worked much harder than you did. :)

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna