PDA

View Full Version : Planting for dummies (yes me!)

ddmarsh
06-02-2005, 11:06 AM
I have an area up against the back of my house I would like to plant myself, just to see how it goes. There is currently just grass there, and not even very decent soil. Can someone please tell me from Step A to Step Z what I need to do in order to prepare the area and plant in it? Also, the back of our house is very exposed so I will need to plant things that will do well with lots of hot sun.

Thanks!

ddmarsh
I have an area up against the back of my house I would like to plant myself, just to see how it goes. There is currently just grass there, and not even very decent soil. Can someone please tell me from Step A to Step Z what I need to do in order to prepare the area and plant in it? Also, the back of our house is very exposed so I will need to plant things that will do well with lots of hot sun.

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

ddmarsh

Thanks!

Laurelsmom2002
06-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Well- where do you live- what will grow in OH is different than what will grow in FL. Do you want vegetables or just flowers or mixture, do you want perineals or annuals?

Laurelsmom2002
Well- where do you live- what will grow in OH is different than what will grow in FL. Do you want vegetables or just flowers or mixture, do you want perineals or annuals?

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

Laurelsmom2002

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Debbie how big is the bed you want to do...
Is it around the house or off from the house????

My front of my house is tons of sun in the afternoon...
I have had tons of luck with crepe mrytles as trees and then I surrounded them in oval shaped positioning with carissa holly (love this plant for green all year)...

If the bed is large you can do three crepes maybe and then surround them with carissa...

If you want to send me a picture I will give you my advice as to what to do...I love landscaping design, heck I love design of any kind!!!!

I have also had a lot of success with hydrangeas in my front against the house BUT they get tons of water where they are at for it pours off of our home when it rains where they are.

Juniper for green all year is also a good plant if you are going around the house...

Camillias are also a good "shrub"/tree

What is your taste manicured finish or a bunch of plants all over???

To prepare your bed you'll need to lay out the design you want, I am a curvy bed person myself and not distinct lines...

Kill the grass in that area...it should take about two weeks.
I'd have top soil or if you have the extra mula to do so buy some soil at Lowes/HD and "ammend" it with what you have by mixing them...I heard a little turkey compost is good too- I will do that at sometime I hope for my friend swears by it.

I like odd number of plants if you use the same thing like the Crepes...

I also love river birch and I think they do fine if you have any wet areas...I want to make room for one in my yard...

Once you mix your soil and plant your plants you'll need to add mulch to the top...

Hope that helps alittle :)
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

NEVE and TRISTAN

I have had tons of luck with crepe mrytles as trees and then I surrounded them in oval shaped positioning with carissa holly (love this plant for green all year)...

If the bed is large you can do three crepes maybe and then surround them with carissa...

If you want to send me a picture I will give you my advice as to what to do...I love landscaping design, heck I love design of any kind!!!!

I have also had a lot of success with hydrangeas in my front against the house BUT they get tons of water where they are at for it pours off of our home when it rains where they are.

Juniper for green all year is also a good plant if you are going around the house...

To prepare your bed you'll need to lay out the design you want, I am a curvy bed person myself and not distinct lines...

I'd have top soil or if you have the extra mula to do so buy some soil at Lowes/HD and "ammend" it with what you have by mixing them...I heard a little turkey compost is good too- I will do that at sometime I hope for my friend swears by it.

I also love river birch and I think they do fine if you have any wet areas...I want to make room for one in my yard...

Once you mix your soil and plant your plants you'll need to add mulch to the top...

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN

Neve

tarabenet
06-02-2005, 12:24 PM
The planting part is more fun, but the boring old bed prepartion is what will make the difference between plants that thrive and plants that die -- or are overtaken by weeds!

The lazy girl's way out (and the organic one) is to solarize the grass. Put down a couple of layers of newspaper, and wet them. Then top with a layer of dark plastic, held down by rocks or whatever works for you. Within a few weeks, the sun will kill off the grass there, plus make all the thousands of grass and weed seed infertile. Then you can start working all the healthy life-supporting stuff into the soil. If the soil is really bad or you are planning a raised bed, then just take up the plastic after you've "cooked" everything, put down your edging, and dump in the new soil.

While you are sterilizing the new bed, you can spend some time researching plants for your area, xeriscape (low-water usage), natives, etc., and consulting with Neve on a design plan!

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet
The planting part is more fun, but the boring old bed prepartion is what will make the difference between plants that thrive and plants that die -- or are overtaken by weeds!

The lazy girl's way out (and the organic one) is to solarize the grass. Put down a couple of layers of newspaper, and wet them. Then top with a layer of dark plastic, held down by rocks or whatever works for you. Within a few weeks, the sun will kill off the grass there, plus make all the thousands of grass and weed seed infertile. Then you can start working all the healthy life-supporting stuff into the soil. If the soil is really bad or you are planning a raised bed, then just take up the plastic after you've "cooked" everything, put down your edging, and dump in the new soil.

While you are sterilizing the new bed, you can spend some time researching plants for your area, xeriscape (low-water usage), natives, etc., and consulting with Neve on a design plan!

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

tarabenet

Good luck!

Benet

alkagift
06-02-2005, 12:35 PM
The first thing you do is decide on the shape of the area you want--try to include some rounded edges instead of just a harsh line. Better Homes and Gardens online has some easy plans to copy. Then you have to kill the grass. Most landscapers use a can of spray paint that works upside down to highlight the edges of the bed, then spray roundup inside the lines. Then, after a week or so you can till up the area loosely and pull out all the dead grass. Honestly this is the most boring part.

Then, as Neve mentioned, go out and buy a bunch of amendments--depending on where you live this will vary. I have a lot of clay where I am so I add Black Cow cow manure and Mr. Natural's Complete Landscape Mix. This is perfect for breaking up the clay. Spreading it requires some elbow grease, but having planted a bunch of things without amending the soil, watching them die and having to RE-do it, I am serious when I say this is a critical step. Then rent a rototiller if you don't have one and just go to town, tilling it all in. That is pretty fun.

The basic method is to have three "levels" of plants--tall, medium, and short--in each bed. The tall ones are to the back, closest to your house. The height of the lowest part of your windowsills is the maximum height for the back row. Hot sun in the south, where I live, does well with hollies of all types--there are big leaf and small leaf types. Carissa is nice because it only has one prickle and is pretty compact. There are kinds that get huge, so read the label! I usually recommend evergreens for the back "high" row. For the "medium" row, If you have room, I recommend "Knock-Out" roses, they're short (3-4' tall) and don't require spraying and bloom a lot.

In front of roses you can do any number of short perennials or annuals, depending on whether you want flowers all the time or not. I have Lambs Ear, deutzia gracilis "nikko" (a very short type), Dianthus "bath's pink", Verbena "homestead purple" (this is so great--spreads, has deep purple flowers all summer, and is a perennial!) and daylillies in front of my roses--all in the blazing hot Georgia sun. I can't use camillias or hydrangeas in the all-day sun in my area, they'll burn, but they're great if you have afternoon shade or live further north.

Have fun and don't hesitate to PM me if you need any help, I've been there, done that!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

alkagift
The first thing you do is decide on the shape of the area you want--try to include some rounded edges instead of just a harsh line. Better Homes and Gardens online has some easy plans to copy. Then you have to kill the grass. Most landscapers use a can of spray paint that works upside down to highlight the edges of the bed, then spray roundup inside the lines. Then, after a week or so you can till up the area loosely and pull out all the dead grass. Honestly this is the most boring part.

Then, as Neve mentioned, go out and buy a bunch of amendments--depending on where you live this will vary. I have a lot of clay where I am so I add Black Cow cow manure and Mr. Natural's Complete Landscape Mix. This is perfect for breaking up the clay. Spreading it requires some elbow grease, but having planted a bunch of things without amending the soil, watching them die and having to RE-do it, I am serious when I say this is a critical step. Then rent a rototiller if you don't have one and just go to town, tilling it all in. That is pretty fun.

The basic method is to have three "levels" of plants--tall, medium, and short--in each bed. The tall ones are to the back, closest to your house. The height of the lowest part of your windowsills is the maximum height for the back row. Hot sun in the south, where I live, does well with hollies of all types--there are big leaf and small leaf types. Carissa is nice because it only has one prickle and is pretty compact. There are kinds that get huge, so read the label! I usually recommend evergreens for the back "high" row. For the "medium" row, If you have room, I recommend "Knock-Out" roses, they're short (3-4' tall) and don't require spraying and bloom a lot.

In front of roses you can do any number of short perennials or annuals, depending on whether you want flowers all the time or not. I have Lambs Ear, deutzia gracilis "nikko" (a very short type), Dianthus "bath's pink", Verbena "homestead purple" (this is so great--spreads, has deep purple flowers all summer, and is a perennial!) and daylillies in front of my roses--all in the blazing hot Georgia sun. I can't use camillias or hydrangeas in the all-day sun in my area, they'll burn, but they're great if you have afternoon shade or live further north.

Have fun and don't hesitate to PM me if you need any help, I've been there, done that!

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

alkagift

Allison

cinrein
06-02-2005, 01:54 PM
When we made our planting beds we used a hose or long extension cord to lay down in the grass in the shape of the bed. The cord or hose helps you visualize what shape to make the bed, where to round it, where to come out, etc....

Cindy and Anna February 2003

cinrein
When we made our planting beds we used a hose or long extension cord to lay down in the grass in the shape of the bed. The cord or hose helps you visualize what shape to make the bed, where to round it, where to come out, etc....

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

ddmarsh
06-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Oh thanks so much for all of the help! I'm so envious of all of the gardening knowledge you all have.

And oops, I should have mentioned we live in Ohio, I guess that helps!

Hydrangeas are actually my favorite flower, so I'm hoping I'll be able to use a few. We had some on the side of our house at one point but with too much sun they were completely burned by the end of the season.

Thanks again -

ddmarsh
Oh thanks so much for all of the help! I'm so envious of all of the gardening knowledge you all have.

Hydrangeas are actually my favorite flower, so I'm hoping I'll be able to use a few. We had some on the side of our house at one point but with too much sun they were completely burned by the end of the season.

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

ddmarsh

Thanks again -

tigalig
06-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Is there a landscape company that you can hire to come out and give you planting tips? I spent many years doing things myself and can't tell you how much money (and time) I wasted. When we built our house several years ago, we hired a landscaping company and although they put in the trees and some of the shrubs, we did most of the other work ourselves and our yard is gorgeous (well, to my eyes anyway). ;) Seriously, having someone who knows what works where and incorporating native plants has made all of the difference. When DH talks about moving (he thinks each child deserves his/her own room and if we expand our family, we'll "need" another room or addition), I cringe because of the yard and all of the time that we have invested in making it perfect for our location.

Also, I think they rent aerator (sp?) machines that you can use to prepare your soil. . . That's the first thing to think about is soil preparation.

tigalig
Is there a landscape company that you can hire to come out and give you planting tips? I spent many years doing things myself and can't tell you how much money (and time) I wasted. When we built our house several years ago, we hired a landscaping company and although they put in the trees and some of the shrubs, we did most of the other work ourselves and our yard is gorgeous (well, to my eyes anyway). ;) Seriously, having someone who knows what works where and incorporating native plants has made all of the difference. When DH talks about moving (he thinks each child deserves his/her own room and if we expand our family, we'll "need" another room or addition), I cringe because of the yard and all of the time that we have invested in making it perfect for our location.

Also, I think they rent aerator (sp?) machines that you can use to prepare your soil. . . That's the first thing to think about is soil preparation.

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig