PDA

View Full Version : Taking baby to bridal shower?

Pages : [1] 2

momma_boo
06-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Is it really bad of me to even consider doing this? My future SIL's shower is on Saturday. I'm waiting for school to be over to try our occassional sitter. DH definitely cannot handle watching both of them alone all afternoon.

DH said I shouldn't even consider taking the baby, but if the sitter isn't available, what choice do I have? Argh. In-laws are off on a trip to Europe so they can't help out (selfish people, LOL!).

But the shower isn't even at a person's house. It's at a restaurant in Manhattan - I'm sure it won't be baby friendly.

Funny how I am stressing b/c DH can't handle 4 hours alone with them. Actually, it's pathetic. I'm kind of annoyed. But that's another post altogether.

momma_boo
Is it really bad of me to even consider doing this? My future SIL's shower is on Saturday. I'm waiting for school to be over to try our occassional sitter. DH definitely cannot handle watching both of them alone all afternoon.

DH said I shouldn't even consider taking the baby, but if the sitter isn't available, what choice do I have? Argh. In-laws are off on a trip to Europe so they can't help out (selfish people, LOL!).

But the shower isn't even at a person's house. It's at a restaurant in Manhattan - I'm sure it won't be baby friendly.

Funny how I am stressing b/c DH can't handle 4 hours alone with them. Actually, it's pathetic. I'm kind of annoyed. But that's another post altogether.

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

momma_boo

cinrein
06-02-2005, 02:17 PM
I would call whoever is giving the shower and ask. I just took my 2-year old to my cousin's bridal shower at a nice restaurant. She was well-behaved and honestly my family would have been upset if they didn't get to see her. I think an infant would be even easier. I did call my aunt first to ask and feel her out on whether it would be OK.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

cinrein
I would call whoever is giving the shower and ask. I just took my 2-year old to my cousin's bridal shower at a nice restaurant. She was well-behaved and honestly my family would have been upset if they didn't get to see her. I think an infant would be even easier. I did call my aunt first to ask and feel her out on whether it would be OK.

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

cinrein

CiderLogan
06-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I'd ask both the host and the bride. Some women might not react well at all to having a baby there on their special day... but others would be perfectly fine and (if they were like me) would welcome a little cutie pie taking all the attention off of themselves!
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
I'd ask both the host and the bride. Some women might not react well at all to having a baby there on their special day... but others would be perfectly fine and (if they were like me) would welcome a little cutie pie taking all the attention off of themselves!
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

SummerBaby
06-02-2005, 02:43 PM
I took DD to a friend's shower when DD was 3 months old. Before I did, though, I called the bride (it wasn't a surprise) and her future MIL, who was hosting the shower. No one minded at all, and at that age, DD slept in her carrier most of the time. And it gave me an excuse to leave early. :)

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby
I took DD to a friend's shower when DD was 3 months old. Before I did, though, I called the bride (it wasn't a surprise) and her future MIL, who was hosting the shower. No one minded at all, and at that age, DD slept in her carrier most of the time. And it gave me an excuse to leave early. :)

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

SummerBaby

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

Wife_and_mommy
06-02-2005, 02:56 PM
I agree with pp's. Ask the future SIL/MIL. If they have a problem with it, I'd tell dh to suck it up. :P There's gotta be a first time for everything!

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Hooray for us! We've made it 13 months.

Wife_and_mommy
I agree with pp's. Ask the future SIL/MIL. If they have a problem with it, I'd tell dh to suck it up. :P There's gotta be a first time for everything!

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

VClute
06-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Ok - I'm going to disagree. I don't think you should take the baby. If DH said you shouldn't take the baby, maybe that's his way of saying he CAN handle it. So let him do it!

It's hard to trust him, I know. I often have to bite my tongue when DH does things his own way (not MY way, therefore - wrong!) when caring for our DS. But he's a parent, too, so I have to let him BE a parent. If I didn't let him fumble around on his own a while, he'd never learn, and I'd never get any time away!

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

VClute
Ok - I'm going to disagree. I don't think you should take the baby. If DH said you shouldn't take the baby, maybe that's his way of saying he CAN handle it. So let him do it!

It's hard to trust him, I know. I often have to bite my tongue when DH does things his own way (not MY way, therefore - wrong!) when caring for our DS. But he's a parent, too, so I have to let him BE a parent. If I didn't let him fumble around on his own a while, he'd never learn, and I'd never get any time away!

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

VClute

Amy in NC

nd93
06-02-2005, 03:55 PM
I would really consider not taking the baby. Even if you ask, they may say "yes" when they'd really want to say "no" but don't want to appear rude, or may be caught off guard, etc. It is the bride to be's day and attention should be on her. That being said, your signature says March 2005 so your baby is still pretty small. If you think the baby would just sleep and be completely unobtrusive then it may be ok.

Maybe you need to leave the kids with DH and not stay long? Babies are a great reason (and a legitimate one too!) for needing to go home early.

If DH can't handle the kids for 4 hours maybe he should go to the shower in your place! Be with a bunch of ladies for 4 hours oohing and aahhing over china - his choice! (JK!)

Do you know this restaurant? If you do decide to take the baby, I'd find out beforehand if there's a good place for you to go with the baby should he/she get fussy, etc. Some ladies' restrooms have a lounge area that would work. Or if the shower will be in a private room where maybe you could set up camp in a corner if need be.

nd93
I would really consider not taking the baby. Even if you ask, they may say "yes" when they'd really want to say "no" but don't want to appear rude, or may be caught off guard, etc. It is the bride to be's day and attention should be on her. That being said, your signature says March 2005 so your baby is still pretty small. If you think the baby would just sleep and be completely unobtrusive then it may be ok.

Maybe you need to leave the kids with DH and not stay long? Babies are a great reason (and a legitimate one too!) for needing to go home early.

If DH can't handle the kids for 4 hours maybe he should go to the shower in your place! Be with a bunch of ladies for 4 hours oohing and aahhing over china - his choice! (JK!)

Do you know this restaurant? If you do decide to take the baby, I'd find out beforehand if there's a good place for you to go with the baby should he/she get fussy, etc. Some ladies' restrooms have a lounge area that would work. Or if the shower will be in a private room where maybe you could set up camp in a corner if need be.

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nd93

nov04
06-02-2005, 04:29 PM
I agree w/ pp's, ask bride and host. Personally, I would have loved to have a baby at my shower, it was weird having so much attention on me.

nov04
I agree w/ pp's, ask bride and host. Personally, I would have loved to have a baby at my shower, it was weird having so much attention on me.

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

nov04

muskiesusan
06-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Well, if you don't want to take the baby, then I would try to work something out with DH (says the lady whose's DH has never had both kids!).

As for the shower, I have always taken my babies to events such as showers. Maybe it's b/c they didn't take bottles, but until they are close to 1, wherever I go, they go. I have thought that was expected with babies. I do tend to give a heads up, but it has never been a problem.

Your baby is so young, I can imagine it being a problem at the restaurant. That's when they are the most portable!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan
Well, if you don't want to take the baby, then I would try to work something out with DH (says the lady whose's DH has never had both kids!).

As for the shower, I have always taken my babies to events such as showers. Maybe it's b/c they didn't take bottles, but until they are close to 1, wherever I go, they go. I have thought that was expected with babies. I do tend to give a heads up, but it has never been a problem.

Your baby is so young, I can imagine it being a problem at the restaurant. That's when they are the most portable!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

muskiesusan

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

mama2galpals
06-02-2005, 06:09 PM
ok i have to agree with the pp and say i would let dh deal with them. trust me. he'll survive. my dh even survives with three :) then i would go to the shower and not think about it or call him for those four hours. he'll do fine.

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

There is no remedy for love but to love more.
--Henry David Thoreau

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

mama2galpals
ok i have to agree with the pp and say i would let dh deal with them. trust me. he'll survive. my dh even survives with three :) then i would go to the shower and not think about it or call him for those four hours. he'll do fine.

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

mama2galpals

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

--Henry David Thoreau

saschalicks
06-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Let me give you both sides of the coin. At my ex-sister-in-laws bridal shower my uncle's wife (some would call her aunt, but not me) made a big stink about bringing the baby to the WEDDING. It was a fiasco. When she asked to bring the baby to the shower we (the paty throwers) said "no". It was our belief that the day was about the bride. I still believe that. She left the baby at home w/my uncle came to the shower ordered lunch and left 2 minutes later. Some "emergency" she had to get back home to. It was sad that she couldn't leave her husband w/the baby. It wasn't him it was definitely her. I don't know if leaving DH w/2 kids is your issue or his, but I'm just telling you my story. It would've been nice if she could've relaxed enough to spend some time away from her baby.

On the other hand my best friend got married 2 months after DS was born. Her shower was 6 weeks after he was born. She was so great about letting me decide if I wanted to bring him. We went back and forth about it and I wound up bringing him after all. Luckily, my mom was invited too so she helped tremendously. My BFriend was just wonderful and I would've understood if she didn't want me to bring him.

I'm sorry that this is confusing, but I think it totally depends on the person throwing it and the bride. If they really don't want the baby it's nothing personal, it's just that they really want the day about themselves. I definitely think you should ask in advance.

HTH

saschalicks
Let me give you both sides of the coin. At my ex-sister-in-laws bridal shower my uncle's wife (some would call her aunt, but not me) made a big stink about bringing the baby to the WEDDING. It was a fiasco. When she asked to bring the baby to the shower we (the paty throwers) said "no". It was our belief that the day was about the bride. I still believe that. She left the baby at home w/my uncle came to the shower ordered lunch and left 2 minutes later. Some "emergency" she had to get back home to. It was sad that she couldn't leave her husband w/the baby. It wasn't him it was definitely her. I don't know if leaving DH w/2 kids is your issue or his, but I'm just telling you my story. It would've been nice if she could've relaxed enough to spend some time away from her baby.

On the other hand my best friend got married 2 months after DS was born. Her shower was 6 weeks after he was born. She was so great about letting me decide if I wanted to bring him. We went back and forth about it and I wound up bringing him after all. Luckily, my mom was invited too so she helped tremendously. My BFriend was just wonderful and I would've understood if she didn't want me to bring him.

I'm sorry that this is confusing, but I think it totally depends on the person throwing it and the bride. If they really don't want the baby it's nothing personal, it's just that they really want the day about themselves. I definitely think you should ask in advance.

HTH

saschalicks

HTH

saschalicks

HTH

saschalicks

HTH

saschalicks

HTH

saschalicks

HTH

saschalicks

HTH

saschalicks

HTH

saschalicks

HTH