PDA

View Full Version : Alright, it's driving me crazy! Fess up!

amp
06-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Who is Laurie Notaro's sister?! I haven't stopped thinking about it since Caroline posted her thank you to the Brownie Fairy, who mysteriously admitted being her sister. Seriously, this has haunted me! I just read her 4th book this week (love, love, love her books!) and have been obsessing about it. I even keep telling DH that is't driving me crazy and I must know who it is! So come on, fess up, will ya?

amp
Who is Laurie Notaro's sister?! I haven't stopped thinking about it since Caroline posted her thank you to the Brownie Fairy, who mysteriously admitted being her sister. Seriously, this has haunted me! I just read her 4th book this week (love, love, love her books!) and have been obsessing about it. I even keep telling DH that is't driving me crazy and I must know who it is! So come on, fess up, will ya?

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

wagner36
06-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

wagner36
Bump!

almostamom
06-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Okay, okay, I don't usually admit to it (especially in public) but since the quote in your signature is my all-time favorite one I'll do it just for you, Andrea -- it's me -- shhhh - don't tell Caroline :)
~Linda~
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25049.jpg

almostamom
Okay, okay, I don't usually admit to it (especially in public) but since the quote in your signature is my all-time favorite one I'll do it just for you, Andrea -- it's me -- shhhh - don't tell Caroline :)
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

almostamom
~Linda~

Marisa6826
06-03-2005, 01:04 AM
Linda-

Jonathan will be thrilled to know! Laurie is one of his all time fave authors. And apparently it runs in the family, as I caught Glamis gnawing on the spine of "Action-Adventure". The same night Sophie INSISTED that Jonathan read her "I Love Everybody...".

Cool deal!

-m

Marisa6826
Linda-

Jonathan will be thrilled to know! Laurie is one of his all time fave authors. And apparently it runs in the family, as I caught Glamis gnawing on the spine of "Action-Adventure". The same night Sophie INSISTED that Jonathan read her "I Love Everybody...".

Cool deal!

-m

Marisa6826
Linda-

Cool deal!

-m

Marisa6826
Linda-

Cool deal!

-m

Marisa6826
Linda-

Cool deal!

-m

Marisa6826
Linda-

Cool deal!

-m

Marisa6826
Linda-

Cool deal!

-m

Marisa6826
Linda-

Cool deal!

-m

Marisa6826
Linda-

Cool deal!

-m

Marisa6826
Linda-

Cool deal!

-m

Marisa6826
Linda-

Cool deal!

-m

Marisa6826
Linda-

Cool deal!

-m

Marisa6826
Linda-

Cool deal!

-m

amp
06-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Linda! I can't believe you kept this quiet for so long! My whole reason for not badgering you about it before was that I didn't want to foil your brownie fairy anonymity, but I couldn't take it anymore! And I don't know if this is normal or if I should admit it, but every single day that I've been reading that last book, I've been ruminating about you (althought I didn't know who you were yet). Were your ears ringing or anything?

I'd about give my left arm to know what it was like to grow up with her! And I remember you saying she didn't mention you in the book, but when is she going to? Well, you can tell her that she has some fans on your message boards! And I know she professes not to have an interest in having her own kids, but as another person said, back in that brownie fairy thread, I'd love to read a book based on those experiences! She's hysterical!

Thanks for fessing up Linda! My mind can rest now.

amp
Linda! I can't believe you kept this quiet for so long! My whole reason for not badgering you about it before was that I didn't want to foil your brownie fairy anonymity, but I couldn't take it anymore! And I don't know if this is normal or if I should admit it, but every single day that I've been reading that last book, I've been ruminating about you (althought I didn't know who you were yet). Were your ears ringing or anything?

I'd about give my left arm to know what it was like to grow up with her! And I remember you saying she didn't mention you in the book, but when is she going to? Well, you can tell her that she has some fans on your message boards! And I know she professes not to have an interest in having her own kids, but as another person said, back in that brownie fairy thread, I'd love to read a book based on those experiences! She's hysterical!

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

almostamom
06-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Andrea,

You are too funny! We have a deal, she will NOT mention me in the books (at least not by name). Once or twice she has referred to me as "the sensitive sister". I don't think she'll ever have kids. It's just not her thing, but she really loves her nephews and spoils them terribly! :)

Growing up with her.... well, picture me, the goody-goody on the first day of high school, nervous and terrified of being late to a class. I showed my sister my schedule and asked her where one of my classes was. She very "thoughtfully" told me it was on the second floor. I'm not sure how long I wandered around completely lost before some nice stranger told me our high school didn't have a second story! Oh yea, growing up with her was a riot!

~Linda~

almostamom
Andrea,

You are too funny! We have a deal, she will NOT mention me in the books (at least not by name). Once or twice she has referred to me as "the sensitive sister". I don't think she'll ever have kids. It's just not her thing, but she really loves her nephews and spoils them terribly! :)

Growing up with her.... well, picture me, the goody-goody on the first day of high school, nervous and terrified of being late to a class. I showed my sister my schedule and asked her where one of my classes was. She very "thoughtfully" told me it was on the second floor. I'm not sure how long I wandered around completely lost before some nice stranger told me our high school didn't have a second story! Oh yea, growing up with her was a riot!

~Linda~

almostamom
Andrea,

~Linda~

almostamom
06-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Marisa,

AAAH, now small children are being exposed to her books -- YIKES!! :)I think Laurie was just in NY on her latest tour. (Isn't that where you live??) Funny, whenever I've read your messages I've always thought that your sense of humor was very much like Laurie's (especially the ones about Hydra!)

:)
~Linda~

almostamom
Marisa,

AAAH, now small children are being exposed to her books -- YIKES!! :)I think Laurie was just in NY on her latest tour. (Isn't that where you live??) Funny, whenever I've read your messages I've always thought that your sense of humor was very much like Laurie's (especially the ones about Hydra!)

~Linda~

almostamom
Marisa,

~Linda~

Marisa6826
06-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Yup. I'm technically in Northern NJ. Jonathan would have loved to have met her. In fact, her newest one arrived yesterday from Amazon and is sitting on my kitchen counter.

I remembered to tell him today and he started hitting me with a barrage of questions. I kept telling him that I wasn't going to harrass you with questions about Laurie. (ducking here) I've never read any of her books, but he has all of them. He told me that I now have no excuse not to read them since I "know" you :).

Funny how the whole six degrees of separation thing really is true. One of Jonathan's friends (whom I've met several times and have had over to my home) is John Popper's (Blues Traveler guy) sister Emily. She really hates when people bring him up, but it's all I really think about!

One thing he does want to know, however, is if you really had such a crazy upbringing. Again, that means nothing to me since I have no idea what he's talking about ;)

hugs

-m

Marisa6826
Yup. I'm technically in Northern NJ. Jonathan would have loved to have met her. In fact, her newest one arrived yesterday from Amazon and is sitting on my kitchen counter.

I remembered to tell him today and he started hitting me with a barrage of questions. I kept telling him that I wasn't going to harrass you with questions about Laurie. (ducking here) I've never read any of her books, but he has all of them. He told me that I now have no excuse not to read them since I "know" you :).

Funny how the whole six degrees of separation thing really is true. One of Jonathan's friends (whom I've met several times and have had over to my home) is John Popper's (Blues Traveler guy) sister Emily. She really hates when people bring him up, but it's all I really think about!

One thing he does want to know, however, is if you really had such a crazy upbringing. Again, that means nothing to me since I have no idea what he's talking about ;)

hugs

-m

Marisa6826

hugs

-m

mudder17
06-03-2005, 10:49 PM
LOL! That's pretty funny! Sounds like something my brother would do, except he's younger than me. :)

Okay, I fess up. I'm probably the only one on these boards who had not heard of Laurie Notaro before these boards. But all these threads have had me doing a search of her books on Amazon. I even almost ordered some, but I'm overwhelmed by the choices.

Which one should I start with? :D

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

mudder17
LOL! That's pretty funny! Sounds like something my brother would do, except he's younger than me. :)

Okay, I fess up. I'm probably the only one on these boards who had not heard of Laurie Notaro before these boards. But all these threads have had me doing a search of her books on Amazon. I even almost ordered some, but I'm overwhelmed by the choices.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting

mudder17

Eileen

almostamom
06-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Marisa,

How funny that Jonathan's the one who likes the books yet you have always reminded me of her (in a good way :)) Was our upbringing crazy? Well, I never thought so when we were growing up, but tell Jonathan to read "Back to the Homeland" in the new book. It's about my parents' trip to Europe and, sadly, it's all completely true!!

I just got off the phone w/ my mom and told her that Jonathan had read part of one of the books to Sophie. My mother's response: "Oh, dear god, NO!" hee, hee, hee!

Not quite a six degrees of separation thing, but give my b-day buddy, Sophie, a big hug. I always notice when you've got a new pic of her or have a post about her because of our b-days.

Hugs,
~Linda~

almostamom
Marisa,

How funny that Jonathan's the one who likes the books yet you have always reminded me of her (in a good way :)) Was our upbringing crazy? Well, I never thought so when we were growing up, but tell Jonathan to read "Back to the Homeland" in the new book. It's about my parents' trip to Europe and, sadly, it's all completely true!!

I just got off the phone w/ my mom and told her that Jonathan had read part of one of the books to Sophie. My mother's response: "Oh, dear god, NO!" hee, hee, hee!

Not quite a six degrees of separation thing, but give my b-day buddy, Sophie, a big hug. I always notice when you've got a new pic of her or have a post about her because of our b-days.

Hugs,
~Linda~

almostamom
Marisa,

Hugs,
~Linda~

almostamom
06-04-2005, 12:01 AM
Eileen,

I'm always shocked that people outside of our family and friends have ever heard of her or read her books. Her books are just collections of short stories about her life and her view on things. There are four books (in the order she wrote them):
Idiot Girls Action Adventure Club
Autobiography of a Fat Bride
I Love Everybody
We Thought You Would Be Prettier

It doesn't matter which one you start with. Idiot Girls is more about her life pre-marriage. The others follow with things that have happened to her in the years since, but it doesn't matter which you read first. She does tend to swear in her books and she has a unique sense of humor that some find offensive. You can check out her website and read some of her columns first and see if you even like her style. www.laurienotaro.com

Take care,
~Linda~

almostamom
Eileen,

I'm always shocked that people outside of our family and friends have ever heard of her or read her books. Her books are just collections of short stories about her life and her view on things. There are four books (in the order she wrote them):
I Love Everybody

It doesn't matter which one you start with. Idiot Girls is more about her life pre-marriage. The others follow with things that have happened to her in the years since, but it doesn't matter which you read first. She does tend to swear in her books and she has a unique sense of humor that some find offensive. You can check out her website and read some of her columns first and see if you even like her style. www.laurienotaro.com

Take care,
~Linda~

almostamom
Eileen,

I Love Everybody

Take care,
~Linda~

Marisa6826
06-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Jonathan says they're ALL funny, but his fave is Idiot Girls. As Linda said, it's her life premarriage. Jonathan said she's out drinking with friends a lot of the time in the book and is just simply hilarious. Again, this is all heresay. I've not read any YET.

That's also Glamis' first choice. :P

Sophie chose I Love Everybody as a starter. We got into two or three pages of Daddy reading it to her as she sat on his lap. Then Little Bear came on... ;)

-m

Marisa6826
Jonathan says they're ALL funny, but his fave is Idiot Girls. As Linda said, it's her life premarriage. Jonathan said she's out drinking with friends a lot of the time in the book and is just simply hilarious. Again, this is all heresay. I've not read any YET.

Sophie chose I Love Everybody as a starter. We got into two or three pages of Daddy reading it to her as she sat on his lap. Then Little Bear came on... ;)

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826
06-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Another 12/10 Girlie, huh?!

I told Jonathan that I asked about your upbringing for him. He said that he's had enough trouble living in the shadow of his Brothers (two very well known attorneys - on TV and in the news quite often), but he couldn't possibly imagine being the sibling of somebody cool like Laurie.

I have some new pics of Hurrican Sophie, but I need to upload them from the computer. I'll post them over the weekend. ;)

Linda, where do you live?

-m

Marisa6826

I told Jonathan that I asked about your upbringing for him. He said that he's had enough trouble living in the shadow of his Brothers (two very well known attorneys - on TV and in the news quite often), but he couldn't possibly imagine being the sibling of somebody cool like Laurie.

I have some new pics of Hurrican Sophie, but I need to upload them from the computer. I'll post them over the weekend. ;)

-m

Marisa6826

-m

almostamom
06-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Marisa,

Can't wait to see the new Sophie pics. I'm in hotter than he-- Phoenix and dreaming of living some place cooler with green trees.
My sister likes to tell people that we're "from NY" but the truth is we left NYC and moved to AZ when she was 7 and I was 5.

Isn't it like 1:30 in the morning where you live??? What, do you take the moderator "graveyard shift"? :) It's only 10:30 here -- this is my ALONE time. :)

~Linda~

almostamom
Marisa,

Can't wait to see the new Sophie pics. I'm in hotter than he-- Phoenix and dreaming of living some place cooler with green trees.
My sister likes to tell people that we're "from NY" but the truth is we left NYC and moved to AZ when she was 7 and I was 5.

Isn't it like 1:30 in the morning where you live??? What, do you take the moderator "graveyard shift"? :) It's only 10:30 here -- this is my ALONE time. :)

~Linda~

almostamom
Marisa,

~Linda~

Marisa6826
06-04-2005, 12:37 AM
I just was at her website. I was snorting up a storm trying not to wake the natives. OMG. I MUST read her books.

I'm routinely up till 2am. That way I can honestly tell Jonathan how tired I am all day. :P

-m

Marisa6826
I just was at her website. I was snorting up a storm trying not to wake the natives. OMG. I MUST read her books.

I'm routinely up till 2am. That way I can honestly tell Jonathan how tired I am all day. :P

-m

Marisa6826

-m

MartiesMom2B
06-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Like Eileen, I've never heard of Laure Notaro, but I'm an advid reader so I'm excited to have a new author to start reading.

Marisa's posts remind me of how I was in birthing class. I found out that one of the husband's was the brother of Amy and David Sedaris, and I had a horrible case of verbal diareah. I just kept asking questions, even at the next class. DH had to tell me to shut and stop talking to him about his brother.

-Sonia
Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

MartiesMom2B
Like Eileen, I've never heard of Laure Notaro, but I'm an advid reader so I'm excited to have a new author to start reading.

Marisa's posts remind me of how I was in birthing class. I found out that one of the husband's was the brother of Amy and David Sedaris, and I had a horrible case of verbal diareah. I just kept asking questions, even at the next class. DH had to tell me to shut and stop talking to him about his brother.

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

jd11365
06-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Mark Geragos?

...and now I have Idiot Girls Action Adventure Club on hold at the library for pickup. :)

jd11365
Mark Geragos?

...and now I have Idiot Girls Action Adventure Club on hold at the library for pickup. :)

jd11365
Mark Geragos?

amp
06-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Just start w/ her first one, The Idiot Girls Action Adventure Club. That's where I started, right when it came out. Then I read each of the others when they were released. Laugh out loud funny! Her books are some of the few DH actually listens to as I read them aloud to him!

amp
Just start w/ her first one, The Idiot Girls Action Adventure Club. That's where I started, right when it came out. Then I read each of the others when they were released. Laugh out loud funny! Her books are some of the few DH actually listens to as I read them aloud to him!

amp

amp
06-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Okay Linda, we've now got new readers for your sister's books. It's like advertising, right? Perhaps we should charge a fee for our services! :P

This thread is cracking me up now!

amp
Okay Linda, we've now got new readers for your sister's books. It's like advertising, right? Perhaps we should charge a fee for our services! :P

amp

mudder17
06-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks, Linda! Like Sonia, I'm always looking for new things to read, so this sounds like it'll be a fun diversion from my (lately) more serious stuff.

Eileen

mudder17
Thanks, Linda! Like Sonia, I'm always looking for new things to read, so this sounds like it'll be a fun diversion from my (lately) more serious stuff.

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

jasabo
06-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Oh Andrea, thank you SO much for asking this!! I've been dying to know too. And thank you, Linda, for admitting it!!

I LOVE her books! I went to her reading here in Tempe last month and almost peed my pants I was laughing so hard. She is exactly as I thought she'd be - and "prettier then I thought she'd be too" ;) I'm the one who told her she should have kids if for no other reason then to write books about it. I would stay up all night reading those...

Anyway, thanks for fessing up :)

Lisa - mom to 23 month old twin boys

jasabo
06-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Oh Andrea, thank you SO much for asking this!! I've been dying to know too. And thank you, Linda, for admitting it!!

I LOVE her books! I went to her reading here in Tempe last month and almost peed my pants I was laughing so hard. She is exactly as I thought she'd be - and "prettier then I thought she'd be too" ;) I'm the one who told her she should have kids if for no other reason then to write books about it. I would stay up all night reading those...

Anyway, thanks for fessing up :)

Lisa - mom to 23 month old twin boys

wagner36
06-04-2005, 12:28 PM
The crazy hick brother? Really? Oh my. I would NOT have been able to keep a straight face while thinking of all of the stories about him.

Linda - I know this isn't as exciting for you as it is for all of us, but I'm so glad you came clean!!!! I'm definitely going to look for references to the "sensitive sister" when I reread her books (was trying to do it this weekend, but DH didn't think it was a good idea for he and Charlie to leave while I lay in bed all day and read - damn!)

wagner36
06-04-2005, 12:28 PM
The crazy hick brother? Really? Oh my. I would NOT have been able to keep a straight face while thinking of all of the stories about him.

Linda - I know this isn't as exciting for you as it is for all of us, but I'm so glad you came clean!!!! I'm definitely going to look for references to the "sensitive sister" when I reread her books (was trying to do it this weekend, but DH didn't think it was a good idea for he and Charlie to leave while I lay in bed all day and read - damn!)

C99
06-04-2005, 01:47 PM
I've only read two -- the first and the last one. The first one had me hooked, but the last one had a lot of funny bits about Laurie's mom and her nephews (who I think are Linda's other sister's kids) -- the story about "the black house" and the lady from the orphange had me in tears from laughing so hard!

Linda, thanks again so much for the book!! It was a great read -- do you guys just sit around laughing nonstop when you have family get-togethers?

C99
06-04-2005, 01:47 PM
I've only read two -- the first and the last one. The first one had me hooked, but the last one had a lot of funny bits about Laurie's mom and her nephews (who I think are Linda's other sister's kids) -- the story about "the black house" and the lady from the orphange had me in tears from laughing so hard!

Linda, thanks again so much for the book!! It was a great read -- do you guys just sit around laughing nonstop when you have family get-togethers?

aliceinwonderland
06-04-2005, 10:08 PM
wow, I do live under some sort of rock...

Marisa6826
06-05-2005, 01:29 AM
I read that chapter today and was HOWLING! OMG - it was too funny. Can I just say that while I was in Ikea today, I saw red curtains and started laughing again.

Yes, I think Laurie and I would probably get along VERY well.

I'm also glad to know that your Mother has fine memories of France :P

-m

MartiesMom2B
06-05-2005, 05:50 AM
Yep, the Rooster was in our class. Which is funny, because he does look a little redneckish, but he was very quiet in class. It was hard to picture him saying the things that he did in David's books. He did tell me about the article that David wrote for his wedding and that he was hoping that he'd write something about the birth of the child. You could tell that Paul is very proud of his brother.

-Sonia

almostamom
06-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Caroline,

You are so very welcome. Glad to know you enjoyed it. I guess the stories are funny when you read them, but it's a whole 'nother world when you're livin' it!!! When we are all together (usually just the holidays now) we do laugh a lot -- at each other's expense! I come from a VERY sarcastic family where a tough skin is required. DH is still a bit overwhelmed when we're all together -- he just doesn't do/get sarcasm! (See my response to Marisa!)

~Linda~
DS 11/04

almostamom
06-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Marisa,

I have no doubt in my mind you and Laurie would get along quite well! It's the sarcasm -- gotta love it! My poor DH just doesn't get it. I told him about your response to my other post about how we were trying to keep DS from rolling over at night so he'd stay asleep.

Me: Greg, one of my mommy friends suggested we duct tape Lil Bit to keep him from rolling over.

Greg: (always the serious, sensible engineer): Really. Well, do you think that would work?

Me: AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! Honey, she was KIDDING!

Greg: (still serious) Oh.

He's still the new one in our family so Laurie goes pretty easy on him.

Hey, where are those Sophie pics you promised??? :)
~Linda~
DS 11/04

almostamom
06-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Tara,

Well, it's much better than the response my teachers in high school had (with fear on their faces) when they realized we were sisters. It took me a long time to convince them that I was "the good one".

(sometimes DHs just don't get it, do they? Had he just let you read and giggle all day, think of what a great mood you'd be in. hee, hee)

~Linda~
DS 11/04

almostamom
06-05-2005, 11:17 PM
Andrea,

Yes, new readers for her books is a good thing. As I see it, the more successful she is now, the less likely it will be that I'll have to support her when we're old! (Keep reading, girlie, keep reading!!!!)

~Linda~
DS 11/04

Marisa6826
06-05-2005, 11:18 PM
I got a couple of really good ones on my phone at Ikea the other day. I need to figure out how to get them from my phone and onto the computer.

The rest I need to still upload.

I'll try and do it tomorrow!

Oh, and if I were Laurie, I'd SOOOOO be giving Greg a hard time - just for the fun of it :P

-m

almostamom
06-05-2005, 11:22 PM
The only thing I've ever managed to take a picture of with my phone is my right ear!!!

The biggest fights Greg and I have ever had were because I said something sarcastic and he just didn't get it!! It's going to take a long while to break him in. His family is just way too nice and normal. Mine is much more fun :o

~Linda~
DS 11/04