PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day Out

ntrainer
06-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Well, now that Rachel is officially a year old and I've been TOTALLY remiss about finding babysitters outside of the family, I think I've found a solution: a local Mother's Day Out program. I thought I'd check in with the lovely ladies on the Baby Bargains boards to see whether any of you have had experience with this program. Even if you haven't, I'd appreciate tips on how to leave your baby for the first time (sniff) with strangers for a few hours. Should I stick around for the first day of "class?" Or is it better for me to simply get out as soon as possible? How do I prepare a 15-month-old (she'll be 15 months by September) for "school?" -- i.e. do we talk about it for a day or two beforehand to prepare her emotionally for the separation? The program I've signed up for (once/week) runs from 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and in the second month moves to 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (including a nap from 12:30 to 2:30, which is a bit earlier than she usually naps, but by only 30 minutes so perhaps it'll work out all right). After the second month I'm thinking about picking her up at 12:30 just to protect her nap time -- she usually naps 'til 3:00 or 3:30 and I hate to deprive her of afternoon sleep, but maybe once/week won't be a horrible thing, and I'll just put her down for the night a bit earlier. Thoughts?

I think this is going to be harder for me than it will be for Rachel, but still if any of you have words of wisdom I could surely use them! :)

Nancy

Mom to Rachel, born 5/24/04

ntrainer
Well, now that Rachel is officially a year old and I've been TOTALLY remiss about finding babysitters outside of the family, I think I've found a solution: a local Mother's Day Out program. I thought I'd check in with the lovely ladies on the Baby Bargains boards to see whether any of you have had experience with this program. Even if you haven't, I'd appreciate tips on how to leave your baby for the first time (sniff) with strangers for a few hours. Should I stick around for the first day of "class?" Or is it better for me to simply get out as soon as possible? How do I prepare a 15-month-old (she'll be 15 months by September) for "school?" -- i.e. do we talk about it for a day or two beforehand to prepare her emotionally for the separation? The program I've signed up for (once/week) runs from 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and in the second month moves to 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (including a nap from 12:30 to 2:30, which is a bit earlier than she usually naps, but by only 30 minutes so perhaps it'll work out all right). After the second month I'm thinking about picking her up at 12:30 just to protect her nap time -- she usually naps 'til 3:00 or 3:30 and I hate to deprive her of afternoon sleep, but maybe once/week won't be a horrible thing, and I'll just put her down for the night a bit earlier. Thoughts?

I think this is going to be harder for me than it will be for Rachel, but still if any of you have words of wisdom I could surely use them! :)

Nancy

ntrainer

Nancy

ntrainer

Nancy

ntrainer

Nancy

ntrainer

Nancy

ntrainer

Nancy

ntrainer

Nancy

ntrainer

Nancy

ntrainer

Nancy

ntrainer

Nancy

ntrainer

Nancy

emmiem
06-03-2005, 08:04 AM
I have used PDO programs for my 4 yo and my 18 month old will start in the fall. We have never had any thing but good experiences. Does your program have a open house before school starts? That is when we usually meet the caregivers and the kids or babies can see the room and stuff. Our program goes until 1 without a nap but my friends use another program that goes until 2 with a nap. I would recommend that you have your DD stay the entire time. It actually disrupts the flow for parents to come earlier. She would probably adjust better if you didn't treat her different than the rest of the babies. You will appreciate the extra time!
Michele

emmiem
I have used PDO programs for my 4 yo and my 18 month old will start in the fall. We have never had any thing but good experiences. Does your program have a open house before school starts? That is when we usually meet the caregivers and the kids or babies can see the room and stuff. Our program goes until 1 without a nap but my friends use another program that goes until 2 with a nap. I would recommend that you have your DD stay the entire time. It actually disrupts the flow for parents to come earlier. She would probably adjust better if you didn't treat her different than the rest of the babies. You will appreciate the extra time!
Michele

emmiem
Michele

emmiem
Michele

emmiem
Michele

emmiem
Michele

emmiem
Michele

emmiem
Michele

emmiem
Michele

emmiem
Michele

emmiem
Michele

emmiem
Michele

mattiew
06-03-2005, 09:05 AM
You will both LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Before hand talk about how she will be going to school and how much fun it will be. Talk about her teachers' names, the things she will do there (eat lunch, read books, play with friends, etc), and that you will come get her after lunch/nap time. Once you drop her off you need to leave ASAP (most places will not allow you to stay); I know it can be hard when they are crying (they all do) but it is better for everyone if you let the "experienced" teachers handle it, she will stop within a few minutes and before long run to the room : )

HTH!
Carrie

By the way - did I mention you will BOTH LOVE IT!!!!!!

mattiew
You will both LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Before hand talk about how she will be going to school and how much fun it will be. Talk about her teachers' names, the things she will do there (eat lunch, read books, play with friends, etc), and that you will come get her after lunch/nap time. Once you drop her off you need to leave ASAP (most places will not allow you to stay); I know it can be hard when they are crying (they all do) but it is better for everyone if you let the "experienced" teachers handle it, she will stop within a few minutes and before long run to the room : )

HTH!
Carrie

mattiew

HTH!
Carrie

mattiew

HTH!
Carrie

mattiew

HTH!
Carrie

mattiew

HTH!
Carrie

mattiew

HTH!
Carrie

mattiew

HTH!
Carrie

g-mama
06-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Nancy,

I have used a MDO program for both of my boys and they LOVE it and I do, too. Ours runs from 9:30-1, two days a week. I was worried about the naptime issue, too, as my younger ds was still taking two naps a day when it began. He ended up doing fine and all my worrying was for nothing. He adjusted wonderfully and actually looked forward to going. I agree with the PP that you shouldn't stay and that you shouldn't take her out early because it does make it difficult for the other children, especially in the early months when they are all still adjusting. The differences in her nap schedule now and what they will be in MDO seem minimal to me, esp considering it is only one day a week.

It will be harder for you than for her, so try not to worry!

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a third one coming in december '05!

g-mama
Nancy,

I have used a MDO program for both of my boys and they LOVE it and I do, too. Ours runs from 9:30-1, two days a week. I was worried about the naptime issue, too, as my younger ds was still taking two naps a day when it began. He ended up doing fine and all my worrying was for nothing. He adjusted wonderfully and actually looked forward to going. I agree with the PP that you shouldn't stay and that you shouldn't take her out early because it does make it difficult for the other children, especially in the early months when they are all still adjusting. The differences in her nap schedule now and what they will be in MDO seem minimal to me, esp considering it is only one day a week.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama
Nancy,

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama
Nancy,

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama
Nancy,

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

g-mama
Nancy,

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03