PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your digital (.jpg) photos?

tigalig
06-03-2005, 08:06 AM
I have been using discs (CD-Rs) but I must be storing them in large amounts because our disc drivers get stuck reading them alot and I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I have even tried saving them by months, but I still take too many photos. I'm interested in knowing what everyone does and how it's working for you. Our computer is relatively new (Nov. 04) and I just had problems reading old CD-Rs last night. Any insight or recommendations will be appreciated.

tigalig
I have been using discs (CD-Rs) but I must be storing them in large amounts because our disc drivers get stuck reading them alot and I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I have even tried saving them by months, but I still take too many photos. I'm interested in knowing what everyone does and how it's working for you. Our computer is relatively new (Nov. 04) and I just had problems reading old CD-Rs last night. Any insight or recommendations will be appreciated.

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

caridura
06-03-2005, 08:11 AM
I also burn mine to CD's or even DVD's. I have a pretty large number on my laptop, but try to transfer them to CD's every now and then. So far, I've been organizing them by month as well. Seems to work well for me.

Perhaps your computer needs more RAM if it's getting stuck or slowing down while trying to read even the CD's? Might help with the speed. I know mine was sluggish with 256mb and I now have 768mb of RAM and no longer have that problem.

caridura
I also burn mine to CD's or even DVD's. I have a pretty large number on my laptop, but try to transfer them to CD's every now and then. So far, I've been organizing them by month as well. Seems to work well for me.

Perhaps your computer needs more RAM if it's getting stuck or slowing down while trying to read even the CD's? Might help with the speed. I know mine was sluggish with 256mb and I now have 768mb of RAM and no longer have that problem.

caridura

caridura

caridura

caridura

caridura

caridura

caridura

caridura

caridura

caridura

August Mom
06-03-2005, 08:25 AM
I agree. You probably need to add more memory. I store mine on our hard drive and then copy to CD.

August Mom
I agree. You probably need to add more memory. I store mine on our hard drive and then copy to CD.

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

August Mom

amp
06-03-2005, 08:57 AM
We also do the same. And we take a TON of pics, and so far have no problems. I'd look into more memory.

amp
We also do the same. And we take a TON of pics, and so far have no problems. I'd look into more memory.

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

amp

mamaharsh
06-03-2005, 09:12 AM
We store ours on the harddrive, DH burns a CD occasionally, I think he has them on a thumbdrive at work, and we back them up to a zip drive.

Can you tell we had a hard drive loss at one point LOL?

mamaharsh
We store ours on the harddrive, DH burns a CD occasionally, I think he has them on a thumbdrive at work, and we back them up to a zip drive.

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

mamaharsh

tigalig
06-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks for all your responses. I'm not very good with computer hardware, but I just looked and we have a Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40 GHz 3.39 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM. Is this what I need to increase? The computer is otherwise fine; it's the picture viewing on CD-Rs that drives me nuts.

tigalig
Thanks for all your responses. I'm not very good with computer hardware, but I just looked and we have a Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40 GHz 3.39 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM. Is this what I need to increase? The computer is otherwise fine; it's the picture viewing on CD-Rs that drives me nuts.

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

tigalig

nanf
06-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Your computer specs seems to be fine. DH is a Prof. Commercial Photographer and he usually gives his clients images on a CD.
Occationally he'll have a problem with the CD-R not recording properly-sometimes too much movement around the computer when its writing-sometimes, its just the computer acting up for no reason at all.
Is the problem you have only with recent images or viewing past images as well?

nanf
Your computer specs seems to be fine. DH is a Prof. Commercial Photographer and he usually gives his clients images on a CD.
Occationally he'll have a problem with the CD-R not recording properly-sometimes too much movement around the computer when its writing-sometimes, its just the computer acting up for no reason at all.

nanf

nanf

nanf

nanf

nanf

kellyotn
06-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I recently got an external DVD burner for about $80. Works great for backing up pix from my laptop. I can just use one DVD-RW vs. multiple CD's. I use a rewritable and use the same DVD over and over. I also still have the old CD's that I store at a different location (granny's house) "just in case".

kellyotn
I recently got an external DVD burner for about $80. Works great for backing up pix from my laptop. I can just use one DVD-RW vs. multiple CD's. I use a rewritable and use the same DVD over and over. I also still have the old CD's that I store at a different location (granny's house) "just in case".

kellyotn

kellyotn

kellyotn

kellyotn

caridura
06-03-2005, 12:07 PM
You don't need any more RAM if you have 1gig. That should be plenty!!

I just don't know why it would be sluggish reading your CD-R's though. I'm at a loss.

caridura

I just don't know why it would be sluggish reading your CD-R's though. I'm at a loss.

caridura

caridura

caridura

caridura

jubilee
06-03-2005, 01:27 PM
OK- this is such a wonderful topic!! I have an OLD computer that we aren't ready to replace... but my digital pics are consuming my hard drive to the point that EVERY DAY I must delete my temp internet files just to be able to surf online... or else my computer gives me the message that my hard drive is full.

So, should I add another hard drive? (Which I was told would be difficult to find one that would work because my computer is so old) Or should I get a DVD burner like the previous poster has? I just need something to store about two years of pics on! Any help for this VERY untechie mom is very appreciated!

jubilee
OK- this is such a wonderful topic!! I have an OLD computer that we aren't ready to replace... but my digital pics are consuming my hard drive to the point that EVERY DAY I must delete my temp internet files just to be able to surf online... or else my computer gives me the message that my hard drive is full.

So, should I add another hard drive? (Which I was told would be difficult to find one that would work because my computer is so old) Or should I get a DVD burner like the previous poster has? I just need something to store about two years of pics on! Any help for this VERY untechie mom is very appreciated!

jubilee

jubilee

jubilee

nanf
06-03-2005, 02:08 PM
It sounds like you do need to make more room on your hard drive. I would first try to clean up your hard drive by removing unnecessary files and software applications.

How old is your computer and do you know the specs?
The problem with just getting another hard drive is that both hard drives will crash at one point then you might loose all your photos. I would definately burn it on a CD or DVD, all new images should be burned for archiving purposes on a monthly basis or so. (DH has to do this weekly because he is a prof. photographer)

nanf
It sounds like you do need to make more room on your hard drive. I would first try to clean up your hard drive by removing unnecessary files and software applications.

The problem with just getting another hard drive is that both hard drives will crash at one point then you might loose all your photos. I would definately burn it on a CD or DVD, all new images should be burned for archiving purposes on a monthly basis or so. (DH has to do this weekly because he is a prof. photographer)

nanf

nanf

August Mom
06-03-2005, 02:47 PM
You also could save them to a zip drive, if that would be easier (or if you already have one).

August Mom
You also could save them to a zip drive, if that would be easier (or if you already have one).

August Mom

August Mom

nanf
06-03-2005, 03:20 PM
You shouldn't be having a problem reading the old CDs unless they got scratched or something. Is your disk driver dirty?
Saving to a zip drive might help-but that gets much more costly than burning on CD or DVD.

You can also store them with an online service.

nanf
You shouldn't be having a problem reading the old CDs unless they got scratched or something. Is your disk driver dirty?
Saving to a zip drive might help-but that gets much more costly than burning on CD or DVD.

nanf

nanf

NancyJ_redo
06-03-2005, 04:22 PM
You can do a couple of things - since it's an old computer, I highly recommend running a hard drive clean up utility or disk defragmenter. Hard to explain, but after lots of use a hard drive becomes 'fragmented', meaning files are stored all over the place instead of sequentially. If you clean it up, it will improve performance and may get rid of the "hard drive full" message. But, don't run the utility until you back up your hard drive on disks or a zip drive. And btw, the utility is already included in Windows, you should be able to go to the Control Panel and find it. And of course the other thing you can do is copy all your pictures to CDs/DVDs or a zip drive. If it were me, I'd first back everything up, run the defragmenter utility, then copy all your pics to CD/DVD/zip drive.

NancyJ_redo
You can do a couple of things - since it's an old computer, I highly recommend running a hard drive clean up utility or disk defragmenter. Hard to explain, but after lots of use a hard drive becomes 'fragmented', meaning files are stored all over the place instead of sequentially. If you clean it up, it will improve performance and may get rid of the "hard drive full" message. But, don't run the utility until you back up your hard drive on disks or a zip drive. And btw, the utility is already included in Windows, you should be able to go to the Control Panel and find it. And of course the other thing you can do is copy all your pictures to CDs/DVDs or a zip drive. If it were me, I'd first back everything up, run the defragmenter utility, then copy all your pics to CD/DVD/zip drive.

NancyJ_redo

NancyJ_redo

jubilee
06-03-2005, 04:59 PM
This are my specs-
HP Pavilion 4445
Windows 98 :(
4.3GB hardrive
intel 366MHz

I do run scan disk and defrag 1-2 times a month. I kill my temp internet files, cookies, temp files, recycle bin daily.

I do NOT have a zip drive, CD burner, DVD burner or anything.

I have NOT compressed the hard drive

I think I have removed all our unused programs/files

The digital pics folder is 700MB alone

So, given all that- what solution would work best and be the cheapest?
Thanks for any and all help!!

jubilee
This are my specs-
HP Pavilion 4445
4.3GB hardrive
intel 366MHz

I do run scan disk and defrag 1-2 times a month. I kill my temp internet files, cookies, temp files, recycle bin daily.

jubilee
This are my specs-
HP Pavilion 4445
4.3GB hardrive
intel 366MHz

jubilee
This are my specs-
HP Pavilion 4445
4.3GB hardrive
intel 366MHz

Phoebe
06-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Just wanted to let you know that the current CR magazine has a cover story on digital cameras. It covers more than just the cameras though - editing software, storage, etc.

I haven't read it yet so I don't know what suggestions it has.

Mary
DD 4/01
DS 6/03

Phoebe
Just wanted to let you know that the current CR magazine has a cover story on digital cameras. It covers more than just the cameras though - editing software, storage, etc.

Mary
DD 4/01
DS 6/03

Phoebe

Mary
DD 4/01
DS 6/03