PDA

View Full Version : Naked showering with DC?

Twin Mom
06-03-2005, 09:55 AM
My DH has been showering with DC b/c it is faster than bathes but my MIL thinks that now that DD is getting older, he should wear a bathing suit. I told DH I would post and see what other people thought because right now we don't think it is a big deal. So at what age do you think it is no longer ok to shower naked with your opposite gender child?

Thanks.

Twin Mom
My DH has been showering with DC b/c it is faster than bathes but my MIL thinks that now that DD is getting older, he should wear a bathing suit. I told DH I would post and see what other people thought because right now we don't think it is a big deal. So at what age do you think it is no longer ok to shower naked with your opposite gender child?

Thanks.

Twin Mom

Thanks.

Twin Mom

Thanks.

Twin Mom

Thanks.

Twin Mom

Thanks.

Twin Mom

Thanks.

vikivoly
06-03-2005, 10:03 AM
I think it's more what both he and your DD feels comfortable with. My DD is 2 1/2 and I don't think it's a big deal (we don't shower together, but just being naked in front of her in general). However, DH has been uncomfortable with it for some time now and tries to avoid it. When DD sees him, she is very inquisitive and starts pointing and asking questions about his private parts, but that may be because she doesn't really see them too often.

vikivoly
I think it's more what both he and your DD feels comfortable with. My DD is 2 1/2 and I don't think it's a big deal (we don't shower together, but just being naked in front of her in general). However, DH has been uncomfortable with it for some time now and tries to avoid it. When DD sees him, she is very inquisitive and starts pointing and asking questions about his private parts, but that may be because she doesn't really see them too often.

vikivoly

vikivoly

vikivoly

vikivoly

vikivoly

Wife_and_mommy
06-03-2005, 10:05 AM
I think when/if dd feels uncomfortable with it, it's time to stop. If she doesn't care/notice, why should you(or MIL)?

What a funny suggestion from MIL that dh should wear a bathing suit to shower. Who *does* that? :P

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Hooray for us! We've made it 13 months.

Wife_and_mommy
I think when/if dd feels uncomfortable with it, it's time to stop. If she doesn't care/notice, why should you(or MIL)?

What a funny suggestion from MIL that dh should wear a bathing suit to shower. Who *does* that? :P

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

Wife_and_mommy

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

trumansmom
06-03-2005, 10:26 AM
I think it's all about his and the kids' comfort levels - not MIL. My DH often showers with my kids as well. I don't feel comfortable doing it, so I don't. Also, it's 15 minutes of my life that I get to be ALONE!!! :P

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

trumansmom
I think it's all about his and the kids' comfort levels - not MIL. My DH often showers with my kids as well. I don't feel comfortable doing it, so I don't. Also, it's 15 minutes of my life that I get to be ALONE!!! :P

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

trumansmom

Jeanne

psophia17
06-03-2005, 10:27 AM
I don't think it's a big deal. I remember when I was a kid, maybe 6 or so, seeing my Dad use the bathroom (we were a door open family until us kids hit puberty), and asking if he had "big boy parts" as opposed to "little boy parts," which is what my little brother had. That was all there was to it.

That said, if your DH or your DD is uncomfortable with it, then it's time to stop...

Also, I thought I'd mention that DS, at a year and a half, is fascinated with both his parts and DH's parts...at the moment, we're stressing to him that parts are private, and that even though everyone has them, they're not for sharing. For sharing, he has to stick to belly hunting.

psophia17
I don't think it's a big deal. I remember when I was a kid, maybe 6 or so, seeing my Dad use the bathroom (we were a door open family until us kids hit puberty), and asking if he had "big boy parts" as opposed to "little boy parts," which is what my little brother had. That was all there was to it.

That said, if your DH or your DD is uncomfortable with it, then it's time to stop...

Also, I thought I'd mention that DS, at a year and a half, is fascinated with both his parts and DH's parts...at the moment, we're stressing to him that parts are private, and that even though everyone has them, they're not for sharing. For sharing, he has to stick to belly hunting.

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

psophia17

JBaxter
06-03-2005, 10:35 AM
I shower with DS all the time. He is 18months and has a small duck tub in our shower ( its a larger shower). I think the older boys stopped showering/ bathing with me at about 3 ish. My ( unwritten) rule is when they start realizing or talking about the differences in mommy and themselves it is time to start being a little more cautious about full nudity. But everyone has a different comfort level.
Jeana

JBaxter
I shower with DS all the time. He is 18months and has a small duck tub in our shower ( its a larger shower). I think the older boys stopped showering/ bathing with me at about 3 ish. My ( unwritten) rule is when they start realizing or talking about the differences in mommy and themselves it is time to start being a little more cautious about full nudity. But everyone has a different comfort level.
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

JBaxter
Jeana

dawell0
06-03-2005, 12:00 PM
This brings up the embarrassing story that my mom told DH when we were dating (that I thought meant the end of the line). This was from the early 70s.

My parents also found that it was easier for my mom to hand me into the shower with my dad every night instead of a bath from an infant to a toddler. My mom would wait until I was finished, my dad would hand me out to her and she would then dry me off while my dad would finish up his shower. One night when I was just over 2, I was somewhat of a wise guy and inquisitive. I asked, "Daddy, why you you have a squirter and I have a regular?" That was the end of the showers together. I laugh at that still thinking that it was the beginning of me being a women's advocate thinking that I was "regular" and he was not "regular".

Kids are curious and I don't know if it is necessarily an issue to see the parent naked.

dawell0
This brings up the embarrassing story that my mom told DH when we were dating (that I thought meant the end of the line). This was from the early 70s.

My parents also found that it was easier for my mom to hand me into the shower with my dad every night instead of a bath from an infant to a toddler. My mom would wait until I was finished, my dad would hand me out to her and she would then dry me off while my dad would finish up his shower. One night when I was just over 2, I was somewhat of a wise guy and inquisitive. I asked, "Daddy, why you you have a squirter and I have a regular?" That was the end of the showers together. I laugh at that still thinking that it was the beginning of me being a women's advocate thinking that I was "regular" and he was not "regular".

Kids are curious and I don't know if it is necessarily an issue to see the parent naked.

dawell0

dawell0

dawell0

dawell0

amp
06-03-2005, 12:07 PM
This question has been asked several times here, so trust that you are not alone in wondering!

I think the overwhelming answer has always been, it's time to stop when it feels right for you and your child. I dont' think there's anything inherently shameful in being naked, but at some point, I think we all reach a point where it will feel inappropriate to do so in front of our children. Only you can answer that. Your MIL just has a different boundary than you do, but it doesn't mean that you are wrong. If you don't think it' s a big deal, don't sweat it!

Seriously...trust yourself to know when it's time, and don't let others set that time for you.

amp
This question has been asked several times here, so trust that you are not alone in wondering!

I think the overwhelming answer has always been, it's time to stop when it feels right for you and your child. I dont' think there's anything inherently shameful in being naked, but at some point, I think we all reach a point where it will feel inappropriate to do so in front of our children. Only you can answer that. Your MIL just has a different boundary than you do, but it doesn't mean that you are wrong. If you don't think it' s a big deal, don't sweat it!

Seriously...trust yourself to know when it's time, and don't let others set that time for you.

amp

amp

amp

amp

JBaxter
06-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Ok since you shared... The reason i stopped showering with DS #2 was on day after finishing the shower I wrapped him in a towel and stood him on the rug. As I got out of the shower he patted me on the leg and said..... Ya know mommy I bet if you tried really hard you could grow a penis too..... I thought it was best after the 20 min conversation about why mommy didnt have one and why I didnt need one that he took his own bath :)
Gotta love'm

JBaxter
Ok since you shared... The reason i stopped showering with DS #2 was on day after finishing the shower I wrapped him in a towel and stood him on the rug. As I got out of the shower he patted me on the leg and said..... Ya know mommy I bet if you tried really hard you could grow a penis too..... I thought it was best after the 20 min conversation about why mommy didnt have one and why I didnt need one that he took his own bath :)
Gotta love'm

JBaxter
Gotta love'm

JBaxter
Gotta love'm

JBaxter
Gotta love'm

JBaxter
Gotta love'm

squimp
That is soooo funny! A squirter - high-larious!

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

squimp

saschalicks
06-03-2005, 01:35 PM
I think it is a family preference. MIL has no say. Sorry! In my parents house we could see our parents naked anytime. My mom said "it's the body, and kids should know what it looks like". I still go to their house and talk to them in the bathroom (when showering of course). It's not a big deal to us. However, I had a best friend when I was little that when her parents door was closed that meant no entering PERIOD. It was just different, not bad or good. I think you and DH have to make that call. If you don't intend to cover up ever then you don't. If you think it will be a problem then think of your first memory and what age you were then work with that age as the cut off. BTW, I think it's great the DH showers with them.

saschalicks
I think it is a family preference. MIL has no say. Sorry! In my parents house we could see our parents naked anytime. My mom said "it's the body, and kids should know what it looks like". I still go to their house and talk to them in the bathroom (when showering of course). It's not a big deal to us. However, I had a best friend when I was little that when her parents door was closed that meant no entering PERIOD. It was just different, not bad or good. I think you and DH have to make that call. If you don't intend to cover up ever then you don't. If you think it will be a problem then think of your first memory and what age you were then work with that age as the cut off. BTW, I think it's great the DH showers with them.

saschalicks

saschalicks

Twin Mom
06-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone. Of course DH is now second guessing himself thanks to his mother so we'll see how much longer he continues :-)

Twin Mom
Thanks everyone. Of course DH is now second guessing himself thanks to his mother so we'll see how much longer he continues :-)

Twin Mom

cdlamis
06-04-2005, 10:23 AM
DH and I both take baths and showers with our DD (she is almost 3). She rarely asks questions regarding our "parts" and when she does, we answer truthfully. But she has yet to notice that we don't have the same parts. :)

When she starts getting uncomfortable with it, we will stop. I personally think we have at least another year or so until this happens. Until then, its fine with us.

In my opinion, having him shower with his suit on will just make her more aware of the differences and will teach her that appropriate nudity is bad.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
and Isabella 12-18-04

cdlamis
DH and I both take baths and showers with our DD (she is almost 3). She rarely asks questions regarding our "parts" and when she does, we answer truthfully. But she has yet to notice that we don't have the same parts. :)

When she starts getting uncomfortable with it, we will stop. I personally think we have at least another year or so until this happens. Until then, its fine with us.

In my opinion, having him shower with his suit on will just make her more aware of the differences and will teach her that appropriate nudity is bad.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
and Isabella 12-18-04

cdlamis

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
and Isabella 12-18-04

TraciG
06-04-2005, 10:48 AM
I remember bathing with my brother & father sometimes, one day I think I pointed to my father's penis & said woo wooo, after that he'd wear a bathing suit if we all took a bath .

TraciG
I remember bathing with my brother & father sometimes, one day I think I pointed to my father's penis & said woo wooo, after that he'd wear a bathing suit if we all took a bath .

TraciG

houseof3boys
06-04-2005, 12:17 PM
I couldn't even imagine my son wearing a bathing suit. As people have already mentioned, it is about your MIL's own feelings about nudity.

I take a shower with my son quite a bit and he certainly sees me naked every day (not to mention my breasts since I am nursing a zillion times a day). It is all perfectly normal and just wanted to say you should go with your own instincts on what you feel is appropriate for your family. For our family, I see us being naked in front of each other for a long time! :)

houseof3boys
06-04-2005, 12:17 PM
I couldn't even imagine my son wearing a bathing suit. As people have already mentioned, it is about your MIL's own feelings about nudity.

I take a shower with my son quite a bit and he certainly sees me naked every day (not to mention my breasts since I am nursing a zillion times a day). It is all perfectly normal and just wanted to say you should go with your own instincts on what you feel is appropriate for your family. For our family, I see us being naked in front of each other for a long time! :)

jadamom
06-04-2005, 03:32 PM
I totally agree that it's all about comfort level (his, yours, & DD's). DH has never felt comfortable being naked in front of the girls, but I still nurse and use the toilet in their presence routinely.

jadamom
06-04-2005, 03:32 PM
I totally agree that it's all about comfort level (his, yours, & DD's). DH has never felt comfortable being naked in front of the girls, but I still nurse and use the toilet in their presence routinely.

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-04-2005, 10:09 PM
I also think it is what they are comfortable with...

I could have asked this several times once we got home with our boys. Steve thought I should not be nude around them...and I don't know my gut feeling was that I wouldn't be obvious but I also couldn't imagine locking them out of my bathroom/room while Tristan ran around seeing me- my justification was they are my sons and I doubted they saw a naked women before and I just couldn't stand the thought of them not really having the "normal" situation that most have when they are young.

So I am a bath person...left he door open and they walked in and out and never seemed to notice a thing. Nothing was said by them and I never caught either staring UNTIL last weekend...

We were at the beach and I showered quickly with all the boys to save water at our friends place so they all could have warm water...
Karsh stared at me for the first time and said "mommy's pee pee is broken!!!!!" :)

Tonight I gave the boys a bath and then rinsed them in the shower and decided to wear a swim suit :)

I don't think I will go locking any doors or anything...but guess I should just not expose myself as freely as I had...

I wonder if there is a difference between opinions on DH with a DD vs a DW with a DS...
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

DebbieJ
06-04-2005, 10:39 PM
The human body is nothing to be ashamed about. It is always okay to be naked in front of your children in my book.

On a related topic, I always call body parts by their correct name. My son has a penis, not a weiner, as my 3 yo nephew calls it. Grr.

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif