PDA

View Full Version : Intimacy Spin-off: Date Night

psophia17
06-03-2005, 10:43 AM
I am a huge fan of having a post-baby date night. It worked to keep DH and I connected through lack of sleep, lack of money, a failing business, our move from NY to Vancouver, and many other things.

We got a subscription to Netflix, filled up our queue with all sorts of good movies running the gamut from comedy to drama to the occasional lame erotic french film, and when the new movie came in, I'd BF DS and put him to bed while DH set up a nest on the living room floor, and we'd have from one feeding to the next to just be with each other. No pressure goes a long way towards keeping a relationship intimate, even without having sex (or anything remotely close to it). Depending on the movie, DH and I were occasionally inspired to make out, but it never escalated beyond that...and it was enough.

Even if you're completely and totally exhausted and your DH is rarin' to go, date night can work - he watches the movie and you sleep beside him. If he wakes you up with some quality foreplay, that's good, right?

I won't say that this "saved" our marriage, but it went a long way towards keeping us talking and laughing and everything else that is way, way, way more important to keeping a relationship going than sex.

Have others had luck with a date-night?

Edited for typos

psophia17
I am a huge fan of having a post-baby date night. It worked to keep DH and I connected through lack of sleep, lack of money, a failing business, our move from NY to Vancouver, and many other things.

We got a subscription to Netflix, filled up our queue with all sorts of good movies running the gamut from comedy to drama to the occasional lame erotic french film, and when the new movie came in, I'd BF DS and put him to bed while DH set up a nest on the living room floor, and we'd have from one feeding to the next to just be with each other. No pressure goes a long way towards keeping a relationship intimate, even without having sex (or anything remotely close to it). Depending on the movie, DH and I were occasionally inspired to make out, but it never escalated beyond that...and it was enough.

Even if you're completely and totally exhausted and your DH is rarin' to go, date night can work - he watches the movie and you sleep beside him. If he wakes you up with some quality foreplay, that's good, right?

I won't say that this "saved" our marriage, but it went a long way towards keeping us talking and laughing and everything else that is way, way, way more important to keeping a relationship going than sex.

Edited for typos

psophia17

Edited for typos

psophia17

Edited for typos

psophia17

Edited for typos

psophia17

Edited for typos

psophia17

Edited for typos

murpheyblue
06-03-2005, 10:51 AM
In the summers, we have a date night where DH and I go out to dinner. It's something we started doing when we got married (pre-kids) and have continued. We used to do it all year but with our jobs and DD we can't seem to work it in during the school year. I agree, they're an awesome thing to do for you and your spouse.

murpheyblue
In the summers, we have a date night where DH and I go out to dinner. It's something we started doing when we got married (pre-kids) and have continued. We used to do it all year but with our jobs and DD we can't seem to work it in during the school year. I agree, they're an awesome thing to do for you and your spouse.

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

murpheyblue

loewymartin
06-03-2005, 11:16 AM
When we hired our nanny we worked this into the schedule. Every other Wednesday she comes in at noon and stays until 10:30. DH and I are at work until 5, and then we go off and have our date night. Sometimes it's dinner and a movie. Sometimes it's running errands (not often) and a few weeks ago it was to test drive some new SUV's as we're in the market. Sometimes it's just us and other times it's with friends. But since it's every other week, we typically get a "just us" date night at least once a month. It's nice to connect, have a conversation without being interrupted, stop by Starbucks, etc. While I love my DD immensely, I think it's helped DH and I make sure we're still on the same wavelength.

I highly recommend this to friends, and I have a few that have made similar arrangements with their childcare so they can have date nights of their own.

Michelle
Mom to Alia born 5/16/02 and the GIRL! peanut due 8/13/05

loewymartin
When we hired our nanny we worked this into the schedule. Every other Wednesday she comes in at noon and stays until 10:30. DH and I are at work until 5, and then we go off and have our date night. Sometimes it's dinner and a movie. Sometimes it's running errands (not often) and a few weeks ago it was to test drive some new SUV's as we're in the market. Sometimes it's just us and other times it's with friends. But since it's every other week, we typically get a "just us" date night at least once a month. It's nice to connect, have a conversation without being interrupted, stop by Starbucks, etc. While I love my DD immensely, I think it's helped DH and I make sure we're still on the same wavelength.

I highly recommend this to friends, and I have a few that have made similar arrangements with their childcare so they can have date nights of their own.

Michelle

loewymartin

Michelle

loewymartin

Michelle

loewymartin

Michelle

loewymartin

Michelle

papal
06-03-2005, 11:21 AM
"If he wakes you up with some quality foreplay, that's good, right?"

Not if I was sleeping really good, then I would smack him.
Oops.. was that a rhetorical question? :P

papal

papal

papal

papal

papal

steph2003
06-03-2005, 11:22 AM
I'm a HUGE advocate of date night - when friends ask about parenting advice I usually say make sure you carve out time for you & your spouse. It is a MUST IMHO...not that I have the perfect marriage of course! But I was worried having a baby would change our marriage & it has but not in a bad way as I feared. I think having date night has been part of that. The way I look at it the marriage is the foundation of the family.

Even if we can't get out - I know it is hard for us to line up a babysitter & we have no family around - we'll rent movies, open a bottle of wine. Or sometimes forgo the movie & just sit on the porch w/some cocktails. We've also swapped babysitting w/our neighbors so they can go to dinner Friday & we can got Saturday or vice versa.

steph2003
I'm a HUGE advocate of date night - when friends ask about parenting advice I usually say make sure you carve out time for you & your spouse. It is a MUST IMHO...not that I have the perfect marriage of course! But I was worried having a baby would change our marriage & it has but not in a bad way as I feared. I think having date night has been part of that. The way I look at it the marriage is the foundation of the family.

Even if we can't get out - I know it is hard for us to line up a babysitter & we have no family around - we'll rent movies, open a bottle of wine. Or sometimes forgo the movie & just sit on the porch w/some cocktails. We've also swapped babysitting w/our neighbors so they can go to dinner Friday & we can got Saturday or vice versa.

steph2003

steph2003

steph2003

steph2003

jk3
06-03-2005, 11:27 AM
We have babysitting every Wednesday night. We usually go out for dinner and sometimes we also play tennis or see a movie. It's hard for us to find consistent weekend babysitting - though it happens from time to time - so this has been a lifesaver!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03 ... Almost 2!

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

jk3
We have babysitting every Wednesday night. We usually go out for dinner and sometimes we also play tennis or see a movie. It's hard for us to find consistent weekend babysitting - though it happens from time to time - so this has been a lifesaver!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03 ... Almost 2!

jk3

Jenn
DS 6/3/03 ... Almost 2!

jk3

Jenn
DS 6/3/03 ... Almost 2!

jk3

Jenn
DS 6/3/03 ... Almost 2!

jk3

Jenn
DS 6/3/03 ... Almost 2!

psophia17
06-03-2005, 12:00 PM
***TMI alert***

I was thinking of this scenario: You're fast asleep, but are dreaming that you're getting good quality foreplay - good enough that you're responding quite nicely, and thinking maybe you should wake DH up and get it on...then you realize you're not dreaming and that DH beat you to it ;)

DH does this every once in a while these days, and I must say it's a pretty awesome way to be woken up...

psophia17
***TMI alert***

I was thinking of this scenario: You're fast asleep, but are dreaming that you're getting good quality foreplay - good enough that you're responding quite nicely, and thinking maybe you should wake DH up and get it on...then you realize you're not dreaming and that DH beat you to it ;)

DH does this every once in a while these days, and I must say it's a pretty awesome way to be woken up...

psophia17
***TMI alert***

psophia17
***TMI alert***

psophia17
***TMI alert***

psophia17
***TMI alert***

caridura
06-03-2005, 12:03 PM
I think date-night is a great idea. We try to have dates, but we go out to dinner or catch a movie while my parents babysit.

caridura
I think date-night is a great idea. We try to have dates, but we go out to dinner or catch a movie while my parents babysit.

caridura

caridura

caridura

caridura

kijip
06-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Our date night was dance lessons starting about 6-7 months post-partum. It was my husbands idea and we went 1x per week. I was a really nice way to ease back into sexual contact (could come home and practice...) and it was what he needed to get to the point where he was ready for more sexual activity.

Recently, we have been SO down about the mc issue that we have decided to get away for a night on a regular basis. My father who is partially disabled lives with us so, every few weeks(we have done it 2x now) we put Toby to bed leaving his bedroom door open and the monitor on for my dad to hear just in case and then drive out to the boonies and find a hotel room. Nothing fancy, just the Holiday Inn or similar and then we drive back the next morning after going to breakfast to find Toby hanging with papi and eating cookies, cheese, anchovies and such for lunch and totally filthy from the park! All told (room, breakfast, gas) it costs like $100 and being REALLY alone seems to keep us connected. We are in a living situation where we can be intimate (thick walls between our room and my father!) but it is nice to be truly alone. The excitement this generates actually seems to increase our interest at home. We skimp on our in-city stuff so that we can afford it without cutting our savings but I really think it is worth it-----what we save by having salads out instead of steak or whatever easily pays for it. I feel really lucky to have a built in babysitter (my dad thinks it is a total treat to have Toby all morning anyway!).

I totally agree with Petra that it did not take sex to keep us happy early on....the Netflix nest sounds great!

kijip
Our date night was dance lessons starting about 6-7 months post-partum. It was my husbands idea and we went 1x per week. I was a really nice way to ease back into sexual contact (could come home and practice...) and it was what he needed to get to the point where he was ready for more sexual activity.

Recently, we have been SO down about the mc issue that we have decided to get away for a night on a regular basis. My father who is partially disabled lives with us so, every few weeks(we have done it 2x now) we put Toby to bed leaving his bedroom door open and the monitor on for my dad to hear just in case and then drive out to the boonies and find a hotel room. Nothing fancy, just the Holiday Inn or similar and then we drive back the next morning after going to breakfast to find Toby hanging with papi and eating cookies, cheese, anchovies and such for lunch and totally filthy from the park! All told (room, breakfast, gas) it costs like $100 and being REALLY alone seems to keep us connected. We are in a living situation where we can be intimate (thick walls between our room and my father!) but it is nice to be truly alone. The excitement this generates actually seems to increase our interest at home. We skimp on our in-city stuff so that we can afford it without cutting our savings but I really think it is worth it-----what we save by having salads out instead of steak or whatever easily pays for it. I feel really lucky to have a built in babysitter (my dad thinks it is a total treat to have Toby all morning anyway!).

I totally agree with Petra that it did not take sex to keep us happy early on....the Netflix nest sounds great!

kijip