PDA

View Full Version : Need Pesto pasta recipe

asha
06-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Inspired by the thread on sphagetti sauce, would some one share their pesto pasta recipe.
I really love pasta with pesto sauce, but I need a recipe to try it myself. Now that my basils are growing well, I need to use them in something.
I am vegetarian, would really appreciate it you can suggest substitutes for the meat in the recipe.

Thanks,

asha
Inspired by the thread on sphagetti sauce, would some one share their pesto pasta recipe.
I really love pasta with pesto sauce, but I need a recipe to try it myself. Now that my basils are growing well, I need to use them in something.
I am vegetarian, would really appreciate it you can suggest substitutes for the meat in the recipe.

Thanks,

asha

Thanks,

asha

Thanks,

asha

Thanks,

asha

Thanks,

laretce6
06-03-2005, 11:27 AM
This isn't a pasta recipe, but DH and I love to make Pesto Pizza. I use store bought crust (boboli) and pesto sauce (classico) but you could do the same with homemade ingredients and I'm sure it would be even yummier. Just spreead the crust with pesto sauce (in lieu of tomato sauce) and add cheese (we like it with motzerella and feta) and your choice of veggies (I use green pepper, red onion and sliced tomato).

This is super easy to toss together on a night when you don't have much time to cook.

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04

laretce6
This isn't a pasta recipe, but DH and I love to make Pesto Pizza. I use store bought crust (boboli) and pesto sauce (classico) but you could do the same with homemade ingredients and I'm sure it would be even yummier. Just spreead the crust with pesto sauce (in lieu of tomato sauce) and add cheese (we like it with motzerella and feta) and your choice of veggies (I use green pepper, red onion and sliced tomato).

This is super easy to toss together on a night when you don't have much time to cook.

Caroline

laretce6

Caroline

laretce6

Caroline

laretce6

Caroline

laretce6

Caroline

wencit
06-03-2005, 12:41 PM
This is my all-time favorite pesto with pasta recipe. Everyone I've made it for raves about it. I hope you're not a vegan, because it does contain mayonnaise, but if you are, you can just make the pesto sauce and toss it with some spaghetti. I find that a half recipe of the pesto makes 1 1/2 cups (I know it should be 2 cups, but for some reason, I only get 1 1/2), which is enough for the recipe. I usually just make the pesto in my food processor first, then add the rest of the ingredients as directed.

Pasta, Pesto, and Peas
Copyright, 2001, Ina Garten, All rights reserved

Ingredients

3/4 pound fusilli pasta
3/4 pound bow tie pasta
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 1/2 cups pesto, packaged or see recipe below
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/4 cups good mayonnaise
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
1/3 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Cook the fusilli and bow ties separately in a large pot of boiling salted water for 10 to 12 minutes until each pasta is al dente. Drain and toss into a bowl with the olive oil. Cool to room temperature.

In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, puree the pesto, spinach, and lemon juice. Add the mayonnaise and puree. Add the pesto mixture to the cooled pasta and then add the Parmesan, peas, pignolis, salt, and pepper. Mix well, season to taste, and serve at room temperature.

For the pesto:

1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
3 tablespoons chopped garlic (9 cloves)
5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups good olive oil
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Directions:

Place the walnuts, pignolis, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 15 seconds. Add the basil leaves, salt, and pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for a minute. Use right away or store the pesto in the refrigerator or freezer with a thin film of olive oil on top.

Notes: Air is the enemy of pesto. For freezing, pack it in containers with a film of oil or plastic wrap directly on top with the air pressed out.

To clean basil, remove the leaves, swirl them in a bowl of water, and then spin them very dry in a salad spinner. Store them in a closed plastic bag with a slightly damp paper towel. As long as the leaves are dry they will stay green for several days.

Yield: 4 cups

wencit
This is my all-time favorite pesto with pasta recipe. Everyone I've made it for raves about it. I hope you're not a vegan, because it does contain mayonnaise, but if you are, you can just make the pesto sauce and toss it with some spaghetti. I find that a half recipe of the pesto makes 1 1/2 cups (I know it should be 2 cups, but for some reason, I only get 1 1/2), which is enough for the recipe. I usually just make the pesto in my food processor first, then add the rest of the ingredients as directed.

Pasta, Pesto, and Peas

Ingredients

3/4 pound fusilli pasta
3/4 pound bow tie pasta
1/4 cup good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

Cook the fusilli and bow ties separately in a large pot of boiling salted water for 10 to 12 minutes until each pasta is al dente. Drain and toss into a bowl with the olive oil. Cool to room temperature.

In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, puree the pesto, spinach, and lemon juice. Add the mayonnaise and puree. Add the pesto mixture to the cooled pasta and then add the Parmesan, peas, pignolis, salt, and pepper. Mix well, season to taste, and serve at room temperature.

For the pesto:

1/4 cup walnuts
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

Place the walnuts, pignolis, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 15 seconds. Add the basil leaves, salt, and pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for a minute. Use right away or store the pesto in the refrigerator or freezer with a thin film of olive oil on top.

Notes: Air is the enemy of pesto. For freezing, pack it in containers with a film of oil or plastic wrap directly on top with the air pressed out.

To clean basil, remove the leaves, swirl them in a bowl of water, and then spin them very dry in a salad spinner. Store them in a closed plastic bag with a slightly damp paper towel. As long as the leaves are dry they will stay green for several days.

wencit

Pasta, Pesto, and Peas

Ingredients

3/4 pound fusilli pasta
3/4 pound bow tie pasta
1/4 cup good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

For the pesto:

1/4 cup walnuts
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

wencit

Pasta, Pesto, and Peas

Ingredients

3/4 pound fusilli pasta
3/4 pound bow tie pasta
1/4 cup good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

For the pesto:

1/4 cup walnuts
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

wencit

Pasta, Pesto, and Peas

Ingredients

3/4 pound fusilli pasta
3/4 pound bow tie pasta
1/4 cup good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

For the pesto:

1/4 cup walnuts
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

wencit

Pasta, Pesto, and Peas

Ingredients

3/4 pound fusilli pasta
3/4 pound bow tie pasta
1/4 cup good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

For the pesto:

1/4 cup walnuts
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

kijip
06-03-2005, 11:06 PM
We keep homemade pesto in the freezer and fridge all the time. We can then toss it on ANYTHING. Pizza, Chicken, Pasta, bread, eggs, cheese, salad, whatever.

Take quite a bit of Basil and remove the ends of the stems (not the leaf stems but the largest stems). I would say about 4-6 loose cups of this for the rough quantities that I am suggesting.

As much garlic as you like...start with 2-3 heads and add as much as you prefer (best to add more after taste testing)

About a 1/2 to 1 cup (more or less depending on your love of cheese) of italian cheese- Romano, Parm whatever.

1/2 to 1 cup pine nuts - again, to taste, as much as you like (or can afford- yowza they are gettin pricey) and you can, at your discretion toast these lightly in the oven first.

Olive oil to the consistency you prefer----start with 1/2 a cup and add from there.

Option- add lemon juice. Just a bit.

TWO CHOICES: Blend all together in food processor or blender. Best to add the wet and dry ingedients a bit at a time as the blade cuts more and more...taste as you go and modify as you like OR, chop everything finly (certainly toasting the nuts in this option) and mix with spoon until desired texture.

The blender option will look like the store bought stuff (but taste better since you can customize the amounts of what you like). It can be frozen and used ANYTIME for anything. The hand mix option is better used fresh IMO and tossed right away into pasta or pizza spread.

As you can tell...I make this a lot and never use a real recipe but it always comes out the same.

TIP- you can freeze the stuff in ice cubetrays and use a cube at a time for flavor, sauce etc.

kijip
We keep homemade pesto in the freezer and fridge all the time. We can then toss it on ANYTHING. Pizza, Chicken, Pasta, bread, eggs, cheese, salad, whatever.

Take quite a bit of Basil and remove the ends of the stems (not the leaf stems but the largest stems). I would say about 4-6 loose cups of this for the rough quantities that I am suggesting.

As much garlic as you like...start with 2-3 heads and add as much as you prefer (best to add more after taste testing)

About a 1/2 to 1 cup (more or less depending on your love of cheese) of italian cheese- Romano, Parm whatever.

1/2 to 1 cup pine nuts - again, to taste, as much as you like (or can afford- yowza they are gettin pricey) and you can, at your discretion toast these lightly in the oven first.

Olive oil to the consistency you prefer----start with 1/2 a cup and add from there.

TWO CHOICES: Blend all together in food processor or blender. Best to add the wet and dry ingedients a bit at a time as the blade cuts more and more...taste as you go and modify as you like OR, chop everything finly (certainly toasting the nuts in this option) and mix with spoon until desired texture.

The blender option will look like the store bought stuff (but taste better since you can customize the amounts of what you like). It can be frozen and used ANYTIME for anything. The hand mix option is better used fresh IMO and tossed right away into pasta or pizza spread.

As you can tell...I make this a lot and never use a real recipe but it always comes out the same.

TIP- you can freeze the stuff in ice cubetrays and use a cube at a time for flavor, sauce etc.

kijip