PDA

View Full Version : OT--Best front loading washer?

AngelaS
06-03-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't get Consumer Reports, so I ask my friends here. :D LOL Which one do you have and why'd you choose it and do you love it?

AngelaS
I don't get Consumer Reports, so I ask my friends here. :D LOL Which one do you have and why'd you choose it and do you love it?

AngelaS

AngelaS

deenass
06-03-2005, 02:35 PM
I have a Maytag Neptune, I got it 5 years ago and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I chose it b/c at the time it was the only one with a large opening (the otehr ones we looked at had a smaller opening) and my king size comforter fits in it.

I lOVE LOVE LOVE IT, did I mention that?

deenass
I have a Maytag Neptune, I got it 5 years ago and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I chose it b/c at the time it was the only one with a large opening (the otehr ones we looked at had a smaller opening) and my king size comforter fits in it.

deenass

deenass

mudder17
06-03-2005, 02:43 PM
We have the Kenmore HE3 and I love it! My parents have the HE3t and they love theirs. Why did we get it? Well at the time it was rated very well in Consumer Reports and we were able to get it at the Sears Outlet for $350 off. :) It cleans our diapers so much better than our old washer and is much gentler on all our clothes. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

mudder17
We have the Kenmore HE3 and I love it! My parents have the HE3t and they love theirs. Why did we get it? Well at the time it was rated very well in Consumer Reports and we were able to get it at the Sears Outlet for $350 off. :) It cleans our diapers so much better than our old washer and is much gentler on all our clothes. :)

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting

mudder17

Eileen

mudder17

Eileen

Calmegja2
06-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Whirlpool Duet. Love it.

Calmegja2
Whirlpool Duet. Love it.

Calmegja2
Whirlpool Duet. Love it.

Calmegja2
Whirlpool Duet. Love it.

pritchettzoo
06-03-2005, 02:56 PM
We have a Maytag Neptune and it is of the devil. }( It was one of the ones involved in the class action suit, and we're entitled to a whopping $30 refund on a repair bill for a washing machine that basically keeps getting moldy on the inside. They have been redone into top-loaders since then and there's a new front-loader out by Maytag.

Anyway, our dryer just died, so we're scrapping the washer from heck (donating it probably if someplace wants it!) and getting a Fisher & Paykel set. It's a top-loading washer (and top-loading dryer!) that works like a front loader but without the problems front-loaders have, or at least that's what the research says. I researched washers when we bought the Neptune and it was getting great reviews--right before the class action hit. So reviews schmews. ;)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

pritchettzoo
We have a Maytag Neptune and it is of the devil. }( It was one of the ones involved in the class action suit, and we're entitled to a whopping $30 refund on a repair bill for a washing machine that basically keeps getting moldy on the inside. They have been redone into top-loaders since then and there's a new front-loader out by Maytag.

Anyway, our dryer just died, so we're scrapping the washer from heck (donating it probably if someplace wants it!) and getting a Fisher & Paykel set. It's a top-loading washer (and top-loading dryer!) that works like a front loader but without the problems front-loaders have, or at least that's what the research says. I researched washers when we bought the Neptune and it was getting great reviews--right before the class action hit. So reviews schmews. ;)

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

macassi
06-03-2005, 03:03 PM
I did a lot of research recently on washing machines, and I think I'm going to go with the F&P as well. I can't justify paying twice as much for a front loader. The F&P has the same capacity and has gotten gret reviews. I have a friend who has used one for years and loves it. She does about 4 loads of wash a day (she has 5 kids) so it definitely takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

I just don't think you'd recoup the price difference on saved water and utilities. And, I heard that repair costs for front loaders are really expensive whereas the F&P has a simpler system and cheaper repairs.

macassi
I did a lot of research recently on washing machines, and I think I'm going to go with the F&P as well. I can't justify paying twice as much for a front loader. The F&P has the same capacity and has gotten gret reviews. I have a friend who has used one for years and loves it. She does about 4 loads of wash a day (she has 5 kids) so it definitely takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

I just don't think you'd recoup the price difference on saved water and utilities. And, I heard that repair costs for front loaders are really expensive whereas the F&P has a simpler system and cheaper repairs.

macassi

macassi

hellokitty1
06-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Would you like me to find the latest Consumer Reports rating on it and send it to you? Or maybe Dh could scan it and I'll attach it here. Just let me know.

BTW, we have the Maytag Neptune as well but it is from the first year it came out so it's now part of a class action lawsuit. I am awaiting the reimbursement of $400 in repairs as a result of the settlement.

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)
www.sydneylin.cjb.net (updated 5/21/04 but major overhaul coming soon!)

hellokitty1
Would you like me to find the latest Consumer Reports rating on it and send it to you? Or maybe Dh could scan it and I'll attach it here. Just let me know.

BTW, we have the Maytag Neptune as well but it is from the first year it came out so it's now part of a class action lawsuit. I am awaiting the reimbursement of $400 in repairs as a result of the settlement.

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)

hellokitty1

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)

hellokitty1

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)

hellokitty1
06-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Anna-

Did you already get your money? Did you only get $30 bc that's all you spent? Or is it only $30 bc the attorneys got paid first and that was all that was left?

I am still waiting for my money.

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)
www.sydneylin.cjb.net (updated 5/21/04 but major overhaul coming soon!

hellokitty1
Anna-

Did you already get your money? Did you only get $30 bc that's all you spent? Or is it only $30 bc the attorneys got paid first and that was all that was left?

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)

hellokitty1
Anna-

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)

hellokitty1
Anna-

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)

RwnMayfair
06-03-2005, 03:30 PM
We have a Bosch Nexxt washer and dryer. I'll admit that we didn't choose them - they came with the house. But I really, really, really like them. I'm surprised that the previous owners didn't replace them with something cheaper and take them with them, and our real estate agent was too. But I've been really pleased with this washer and dryer, and if they're still going strong when we plan to move out of here, I'm definitely taking them with me. ;) (Or else buying new ones of the same thing for ourselves!) They both work really well and we've had no problems with them at all. I also really like the digital timer on top that tells you how long a cycle will take and how long is left in the cycle. And the dryer has a handy-dandy light that reminds you to empty the lint filter, and it will actually stop running if you let the lint filter get too full! (I suppose that might annoy some people, but I think it's nice, especially since my husband doesn't always remember to empty it.)

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to ramble on so much. But I'm thrilled with this washer and dryer. :)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

RwnMayfair
We have a Bosch Nexxt washer and dryer. I'll admit that we didn't choose them - they came with the house. But I really, really, really like them. I'm surprised that the previous owners didn't replace them with something cheaper and take them with them, and our real estate agent was too. But I've been really pleased with this washer and dryer, and if they're still going strong when we plan to move out of here, I'm definitely taking them with me. ;) (Or else buying new ones of the same thing for ourselves!) They both work really well and we've had no problems with them at all. I also really like the digital timer on top that tells you how long a cycle will take and how long is left in the cycle. And the dryer has a handy-dandy light that reminds you to empty the lint filter, and it will actually stop running if you let the lint filter get too full! (I suppose that might annoy some people, but I think it's nice, especially since my husband doesn't always remember to empty it.)

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to ramble on so much. But I'm thrilled with this washer and dryer. :)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

RwnMayfair

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

pritchettzoo
06-03-2005, 03:39 PM
I don't know. DH was handling that. We both read the form and it made my head hurt. The only thing I could figure out that we qualified for was a max of $30, and I don't know if DH fared better. Sad thing is that we're BOTH attorneys and the damn thing didn't make any sense!!

Anna

pritchettzoo
I don't know. DH was handling that. We both read the form and it made my head hurt. The only thing I could figure out that we qualified for was a max of $30, and I don't know if DH fared better. Sad thing is that we're BOTH attorneys and the damn thing didn't make any sense!!

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo
06-03-2005, 03:40 PM
The F&P has a beltless drive system, and belts are usually what go on a washer. Plus it's got 2 year parts and labor warranty, which is really impressive compared to the rest!

The water usage is comparable to front loaders. Electic usage is actually MUCH lower than our Neptune (according to the happy yellow sticker on the front).

Anna

pritchettzoo
The F&P has a beltless drive system, and belts are usually what go on a washer. Plus it's got 2 year parts and labor warranty, which is really impressive compared to the rest!

The water usage is comparable to front loaders. Electic usage is actually MUCH lower than our Neptune (according to the happy yellow sticker on the front).

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

pritchettzoo

Anna

barbarhow
06-03-2005, 03:45 PM
We just got the HE4 delivered today. Haven't used it yet bbut can't wait!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

barbarhow

barbarhow

barbarhow

Marisa6826
06-03-2005, 05:16 PM
LOVE my Kenmore HE3T (which I think is now called HE4T). It's the same as the Maytag Neptune, but made for Sears.

I also have the matching dryer and it's awesome!!!

The one thing I'm sorry I didn't get was the pedestals. At the time, I didn't think I'd need them, but it would be nice to not bend in order to load/empty them.

Costco WAS selling the Neptunes a while ago. Don't know if they still have them on their website.

-m

Marisa6826
LOVE my Kenmore HE3T (which I think is now called HE4T). It's the same as the Maytag Neptune, but made for Sears.

The one thing I'm sorry I didn't get was the pedestals. At the time, I didn't think I'd need them, but it would be nice to not bend in order to load/empty them.

Costco WAS selling the Neptunes a while ago. Don't know if they still have them on their website.

-m

Marisa6826

-m

Marisa6826

-m

DebbieJ
06-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Kenmore He3t, which is actually the same as the Whirlpool Duet, not the Maytag.

Get the pedestals. Then everything will be at waist height. Much more comfy.

Love em!

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

DebbieJ

Love em!

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

Love em!

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

Love em!

~ deb
DS 12/03

DDowning
06-03-2005, 05:36 PM
This is a very timely post as we're about needing to trade our GE Profile W/D. It works fine but DH bought it about 7 years ago - for himself. Our family has grown considerably and I would love something with a bigger capacity and shower drying time!

DDowning
This is a very timely post as we're about needing to trade our GE Profile W/D. It works fine but DH bought it about 7 years ago - for himself. Our family has grown considerably and I would love something with a bigger capacity and shower drying time!

DDowning

DDowning

phirey
06-03-2005, 07:35 PM
New pair of Kenmore HE4T,bought at the Sears Outlet for hundreds off. It's made by Whirlpool -- same as their Duet, so see which one the outlet has cheaper.

I cleans like you can't believe. I actually re-washed a bunch of stuff that had been washed in our previous GE pair andI swear everything's cleaner. Only thing I can't stand is that I actually like my clothes and especially towels to smell like the detergen/softener. This thing rinses so well that nothing has a smell -- good or bad.

phirey
New pair of Kenmore HE4T,bought at the Sears Outlet for hundreds off. It's made by Whirlpool -- same as their Duet, so see which one the outlet has cheaper.

I cleans like you can't believe. I actually re-washed a bunch of stuff that had been washed in our previous GE pair andI swear everything's cleaner. Only thing I can't stand is that I actually like my clothes and especially towels to smell like the detergen/softener. This thing rinses so well that nothing has a smell -- good or bad.

phirey

tarahsolazy
06-03-2005, 07:44 PM
I have the Kenmore HE3, and have been very pleased. We bought it when we lived in OR, and got a $275 tax credit for energy efficiency. Between that and getting it on sale, plus extra 10% off for using a Sears charge, it was only $150 more than a similar capacity top loader. And, it uses less than half the water and energy of a top loader. We did not buy the matching dryer, but went with an energy efficient front-loading model that was $400 or so? I think if I had it to do over, I'd buy the HE3T model (now HE4T) because it has an internal water heater, which would be nice to occaisonally really COOK the cloth diapers.

tarahsolazy
I have the Kenmore HE3, and have been very pleased. We bought it when we lived in OR, and got a $275 tax credit for energy efficiency. Between that and getting it on sale, plus extra 10% off for using a Sears charge, it was only $150 more than a similar capacity top loader. And, it uses less than half the water and energy of a top loader. We did not buy the matching dryer, but went with an energy efficient front-loading model that was $400 or so? I think if I had it to do over, I'd buy the HE3T model (now HE4T) because it has an internal water heater, which would be nice to occaisonally really COOK the cloth diapers.

tarahsolazy

Mikesa3
06-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Someone here posted this link last week.You can find some good info there. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry HTH
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

Mikesa3
Someone here posted this link last week.You can find some good info there. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry HTH

Mikesa3

ellies mom
06-04-2005, 12:52 AM
We have the Bosch also, and we did choose it, and it is definately leaving when if we move. We love it.

ellies mom
We have the Bosch also, and we did choose it, and it is definately leaving when if we move. We love it.

ellies mom