PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have to have c-section 2nd time around when first was delivered vag?

c2lane
06-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Just curious... When I had my amnio at 17 weeks the baby was head down. At the u/s last Friday the doctor said the baby was breech. Of course at this stage, I know there is plenty of time for the baby to turn and that I shouldn't worry, so I'm trying not to. However, I was just wondering if anyone here had experienced a vaginal birth the first time around and then have to have a c-section because the 2nd or subsequent baby was in a breech position.

When my Mom had me (eons ago) I was born head first, 18 months later she had my sister who was born rear first. Of course back then they didn't have the technology they do today.

Thanks!
Carrie & Dillan Rose 01/02/04

Our 2nd blessing is due 10/6/05
http://lilypie.com/days/051006/0/6/0/-8/.png[/img][/url]

c2lane
Just curious... When I had my amnio at 17 weeks the baby was head down. At the u/s last Friday the doctor said the baby was breech. Of course at this stage, I know there is plenty of time for the baby to turn and that I shouldn't worry, so I'm trying not to. However, I was just wondering if anyone here had experienced a vaginal birth the first time around and then have to have a c-section because the 2nd or subsequent baby was in a breech position.

When my Mom had me (eons ago) I was born head first, 18 months later she had my sister who was born rear first. Of course back then they didn't have the technology they do today.

Thanks!

c2lane

Thanks!

c2lane

Thanks!

schums
06-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. DS was born vaginally without any problems (other than Pit for WAY too long!). 17 months later, DD came along and decided that she wanted to sit on her butt instead of her head. My OB group basically said that they would not deliver my DD vaginally if she was breech. I think it was a combination of risk to mom and baby and issues with malpractice insurance. Anyway, it worked out great for us. I'd do a scheduled c-section again any day -- it was a much easier recovery for me that DS, even going home to take of a 17 month old.

Here's the details (VERY non-typical story): She was butt down at 36 weeks. At 37 weeks the doctor was going to do an external version (try to turn her head down by pushing on the outside of my belly). Since there is a chance of going into labor, you have to be in the hospital, etc. As the dr. is coming up to the room, DD decides to get real active. Yep, you guessed it, she flipped on her own. They sent me home, said see you when you go into labor. At 39 weeks, DH and I went to a fancy restaurant (no DS) for dinner. In the middle of dinner, I'm in massive pain on one side of my belly for about 10 minutes then it goes away. On Monday, I go in for my normal appointment, and, yep, she flipped back. So they schedule a c-section for Wednesday. On Wednesday, she was still butt down until we got into the delivery room, where she went sideways and a hand popped out. Did I mention she was 10 lbs 8 ounces and 21 3/4" long?

Sarah

schums
Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. DS was born vaginally without any problems (other than Pit for WAY too long!). 17 months later, DD came along and decided that she wanted to sit on her butt instead of her head. My OB group basically said that they would not deliver my DD vaginally if she was breech. I think it was a combination of risk to mom and baby and issues with malpractice insurance. Anyway, it worked out great for us. I'd do a scheduled c-section again any day -- it was a much easier recovery for me that DS, even going home to take of a 17 month old.

Here's the details (VERY non-typical story): She was butt down at 36 weeks. At 37 weeks the doctor was going to do an external version (try to turn her head down by pushing on the outside of my belly). Since there is a chance of going into labor, you have to be in the hospital, etc. As the dr. is coming up to the room, DD decides to get real active. Yep, you guessed it, she flipped on her own. They sent me home, said see you when you go into labor. At 39 weeks, DH and I went to a fancy restaurant (no DS) for dinner. In the middle of dinner, I'm in massive pain on one side of my belly for about 10 minutes then it goes away. On Monday, I go in for my normal appointment, and, yep, she flipped back. So they schedule a c-section for Wednesday. On Wednesday, she was still butt down until we got into the delivery room, where she went sideways and a hand popped out. Did I mention she was 10 lbs 8 ounces and 21 3/4" long?

Sarah

schums

Sarah

schums

Sarah

c2lane
06-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Wow, 10lbs 8oz!!! I have a feeling this one is going to be bigger than her 6lb 13oz sister as she already measures bigger than Dillan did at this stage. My labor/delivery was a breeze with DD, no meds and I only pushed for 30 mins (had her 45 mins after arriving at the hospital).

I guess my main concern is recovery from a c-section with a toddler AND infant. Were you able to pick up your DS during that time?

Thanks Sarah for sharing your experience, you've helped ease my mind a little.

c2lane
Wow, 10lbs 8oz!!! I have a feeling this one is going to be bigger than her 6lb 13oz sister as she already measures bigger than Dillan did at this stage. My labor/delivery was a breeze with DD, no meds and I only pushed for 30 mins (had her 45 mins after arriving at the hospital).

I guess my main concern is recovery from a c-section with a toddler AND infant. Were you able to pick up your DS during that time?

c2lane

c2lane

Jeanne
06-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Happened to me too.
My first was an induction 12 days past due. The pitocin did a number on me for sure but even worse was the back labor. After 10 hours and 2.5 of that pushing, she was delivered via vacuum assist without drugs other than a local shot they gave me at the last minute.

My second pregnancy was as uneventful as my first. In fact, I was in better physical shape than the first. Everything was going along normally when at 4 days past due, I woke up in the middle of the night with back labor again. It lasted for a few hours and then went away. Contractions began a day later at 8 minute intervals but weren't bothersome. I went in for a non-stress and ultrasound and discovered that she had gone breech! I suspect it happened the night previous but am not certain. Both babies were less than 7 pounds.

The c-section was a disappointment because I really wanted to enjoy this birth - as I had not been able to do with the first. But it wasn't as bad as I had imagined it to be and was up and around 12 hours after. I left the hospital a day early and felt fine. I did go up stairs, pick up my 2 year old, and did generally everything they told me to avoid. But only because I felt fine and would sit if I felt I needed it. I'm a busy body and not the type that can stand sitting around. I was dealt many lectures from my DH, parents, and IL's for not resting since they were all around but really, I didn't need it. Babies put me in a state of euphoria. It's now that I'm damn tired with nearly a 2 & 4 year old!

Just listen to your body. Everyone heals differently. If you pick up your toddler and it hurts, your body will tell you. And if you like to be waited on, by all means, play it up!

Best of luck! I hope it goes well!

american_mama
06-05-2005, 01:28 AM
this, as I assume there is TONS of time for your baby to turn; maybe your doctor can tell you often babies turn and turn and turn at this point. Also, you may want to check out this website
http://www.spinningbabies.com/

There are ways of sitting and stretching that can make a baby more or less likely to get in the right position. In my book, can't hurt and might help. My baby was born overseas, and I read a couple of handouts from British midwives promoting this stuff.

Wife_and_mommy
06-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Just wanted to second this web site!! I had a vaginal birth with dd but a VERY long labor due to her not being in an optimal position. I've already started to read up on how to help myself towards the end. This web site has great information as well as positions to try.

Good luck! Baby might turn yet again! :) Let us know when baby arrives, please.

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://lilypie.com/days/060228/3/21/1/-5/.png

Raidra
06-05-2005, 06:25 PM
I haven't had my second yet, but I have a fear of this, too. This baby has been head down for ages, but at my 30 week appointment, he was breech. I know there's still time for him to turn, but I'm so worried that I won't have as good an experience with a c-section as I did with Colwyn's super-easy vaginal birth.

I'm pretty much set against having a version, so I've been looking at exercises you're supposed to do to turn the baby. I'm worried that if he is head down now, that doing the exercises will make him flip again. :) I know I can just wait until my next appointment (this Friday), but I'm so impatient!

Anyway, I know I didn't help at all, but just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in being worried about it. :)

schums
06-06-2005, 02:40 PM
I wasn't supposed to pick up anything weighing more than 10 pounds until my 6 week check up. Of course, that went out the window as soon as DD showed up!! :-) I did get creative about holding DS tho. I'd sit on the couch and have him climb up next to me, or use my legs as a "lift" and get him on my lap so we could still cuddle and stuff. My DS was almost 17 months when DD came along, so he was able to do a lot of things for himself. I was VERY concerned when I got pregnant that I wouldn't be able to do 2 kids so close, but DS was walking, starting to talk, could get up into his high chair by himself, could go up and down stairs with help (but I didn't have to carry him), was starting to feed himself, etc. I was really busy, but it wasn't as bad as I had initially feared. We did have to make some adjustments to accomodate the no lifting thing, like all diaper changes were done on the couch or the bed, naps for DS were in my bed instead of his crib (he could climb into my bed), but nothing earth shattering. And after 6 weeks, life went back to "normal".

My recovery from the c-section was WAY easier that from the vaginal birth. (I was induced with DS, and spent 21 hours on pit.) The day after I got home (4 day hospital stay here), I was on the floor with both kids playing in a teepee my aunt sent as a "new baby" gift for DS. I was moving a little slowly, but it was nowhere near as slowly as with the vaginal delivery. By the time DH went back to work at 2 weeks, aside from the incision itching, I really felt almost completely back to normal.

HTH,

Sarah

schums
06-06-2005, 02:46 PM
I didn't do the exercises (DD didn't stay in one position long enough for me to try them), but I've heard they can help. My OB said that if DD had been a "typical" breech, she would have suggested them. Also heard that they specifically promote head down positioning, so I doubt that they would cause your baby to flip if he already is head down. If he is still head up, you should be able to feel his little noggin just below your breastbone. I could with DD. Try gently pushing on your belly around the breastbone area -- if you feel something hard, he's probably still breech. If it's more mushy, it's probably a butt. This was what we did the last few weeks with DD (OB suggested) to see if she was staying head down.

Sarah

c2lane
06-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the website link... I was just quickly looking and noticed they recommend prenatal yoga. I'm signed up for the next 6 week session and will take it until the end of pregnancy like I did with DD. Hopefully that will help!