PDA

View Full Version : www.askdrsears.com saved us a trip to the ER

mharling
06-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Just posting since I haven't seen this site mentioned much lately....

Lane woke up during the night last night with the nastiest cough I've ever heard and had very heavy, labored breathing. Dh and I were both pretty freaked out and wondered if we should go to the ER. I told him I wanted to check Dr. Sears's site first. I looked up breathing difficulty and read the 3 likely scenarios, one of which was croup.

Long story short, the guidelines on his site were wonderful, we were able to follow some suggestions to get some relief during the night and just called the dr first thing this morning. I love that everything was spelled out so clearly and it gave scenarios for which we *should* have gone to the ER.

If you haven't bookmarked this site, I highly recommend you do. I most frequently visit the Medicine Cabinet (info and dosing for the most common infant/toddler OTC meds) and A to Z Index. There's not much I haven't been able to find here. www.askdrsears.com

And yes, Lane does in fact have croup and is taking oral steroids. Poor little guy. :(

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

mharling

Lane woke up during the night last night with the nastiest cough I've ever heard and had very heavy, labored breathing. Dh and I were both pretty freaked out and wondered if we should go to the ER. I told him I wanted to check Dr. Sears's site first. I looked up breathing difficulty and read the 3 likely scenarios, one of which was croup.

Long story short, the guidelines on his site were wonderful, we were able to follow some suggestions to get some relief during the night and just called the dr first thing this morning. I love that everything was spelled out so clearly and it gave scenarios for which we *should* have gone to the ER.

If you haven't bookmarked this site, I highly recommend you do. I most frequently visit the Medicine Cabinet (info and dosing for the most common infant/toddler OTC meds) and A to Z Index. There's not much I haven't been able to find here. www.askdrsears.com

And yes, Lane does in fact have croup and is taking oral steroids. Poor little guy. :(

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

mharling

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

squimp
06-03-2005, 10:19 PM
I hope Lane gets better soon. (DD has a cousin named Lane, and I always think of him when I see your posts)

I love that site - we've never had to use it for emergencies, but it has a great "diaper rash detective" section.

squimp
I hope Lane gets better soon. (DD has a cousin named Lane, and I always think of him when I see your posts)

I love that site - we've never had to use it for emergencies, but it has a great "diaper rash detective" section.

squimp

DebbieJ
06-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Isn't it a great site? I agree, very helpful on the OTC meds dosages.

I hope Lane feels better soon! Poor guy!

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

DebbieJ

~ deb
DS 12/03

mharling
06-03-2005, 10:32 PM
> (DD has a cousin named Lane, and I always think of him when I see your posts)

I'm glad you mentioned that; I love hearing about other Lane's!! Lane is one of my great-grandmother's maiden names.

Just say a prayer for me that my Lane doesn't have a cousin named Lane. My brother and SIL are having a baby this summer and apparently Lane was their boy name when my niece was born. My mom told them it would still be OK for them to use it. }(

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

mharling

I'm glad you mentioned that; I love hearing about other Lane's!! Lane is one of my great-grandmother's maiden names.

Just say a prayer for me that my Lane doesn't have a cousin named Lane. My brother and SIL are having a baby this summer and apparently Lane was their boy name when my niece was born. My mom told them it would still be OK for them to use it. }(

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

mharling

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

mudder17
06-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Oh, no, Mary! I'm so sorry Lane has croup! I hope your little guy feels better soon!

I haven't had to use the site for emergencies yet (crossing my fingers), but I am very impressed by all the information that is available on that site!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

mudder17
Oh, no, Mary! I'm so sorry Lane has croup! I hope your little guy feels better soon!

I haven't had to use the site for emergencies yet (crossing my fingers), but I am very impressed by all the information that is available on that site!

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting

mudder17

Eileen

Marisa6826
06-03-2005, 10:52 PM
I did the EXACT same thing with Sophie a couple months ago! It was 2am and I was loving my wireless laptop at that moment!

Kiss Lane for Sophie. She says feel better soon

-m

Marisa6826
I did the EXACT same thing with Sophie a couple months ago! It was 2am and I was loving my wireless laptop at that moment!

-m

Marisa6826

-m

jd11365
06-03-2005, 11:08 PM
LOVE good 'ol Dr. Sears. Every parent should have it bookmarked! Kayla had pink eye last week...(and second to calling Marisa ;)) it was the first place I went for information!

BTW, you know DH and I have been together since we were in High School. We used to daydream together about when we would be married with kids and both loved the name Cody for a boy. DH mentioned it to his uncle who was having a baby at the time...well, guess what they named the baby?! Grrrrr. }(

...That was the first time I actually used that smilie. Of course it was because of one of my inlaws!

We know who the "real" Lane is! And I hope he's feeling better soon!!!

jd11365
LOVE good 'ol Dr. Sears. Every parent should have it bookmarked! Kayla had pink eye last week...(and second to calling Marisa ;)) it was the first place I went for information!

BTW, you know DH and I have been together since we were in High School. We used to daydream together about when we would be married with kids and both loved the name Cody for a boy. DH mentioned it to his uncle who was having a baby at the time...well, guess what they named the baby?! Grrrrr. }(

...That was the first time I actually used that smilie. Of course it was because of one of my inlaws!

jd11365

houseof3boys
06-04-2005, 07:06 AM
I know, I love that site too! When Ryan had croup in January the Baby Book (Dr. Sears) was my guide on the ER thing too.

I hope he gets better soon. Lots of steamy showers throughout the day helped us a lot.

Keep him away from little Faye too. :)

houseof3boys
I know, I love that site too! When Ryan had croup in January the Baby Book (Dr. Sears) was my guide on the ER thing too.

I hope he gets better soon. Lots of steamy showers throughout the day helped us a lot.

houseof3boys

slknight
06-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Yes, we love that site! Sorry that Lane has the croup. Alex unfortunately has chronic croup; he's had it 5 or 6 times in less than a year. And we always end up in the ER (even hospitalized once) because steam and cold just don't work for him. I hope that Lane is feeling better soon. :)

slknight
Yes, we love that site! Sorry that Lane has the croup. Alex unfortunately has chronic croup; he's had it 5 or 6 times in less than a year. And we always end up in the ER (even hospitalized once) because steam and cold just don't work for him. I hope that Lane is feeling better soon. :)

slknight

MartiesMom2B
06-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Martie is getting over the croup. It doesn't sound as bad as Lanes was. Poor thing. I hope he gets better soon.

-Sonia
Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

MartiesMom2B
Martie is getting over the croup. It doesn't sound as bad as Lanes was. Poor thing. I hope he gets better soon.

-Sonia

MartiesMom2B

-Sonia

TraciG
06-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Hope Lane feels better soon,I added the website to my favorites, thanks for the tip !

TraciG
Hope Lane feels better soon,I added the website to my favorites, thanks for the tip !

TraciG