PDA

View Full Version : Why did we want him to roll over????

almostamom
06-03-2005, 10:53 PM
DS has finally mastered rolling over from his back to his tummy. He's been trying for MONTHS, but could never quite make it all the way over until this week. Now, as soon as he's down on his back, he immediately rolls onto his tummy. Unfortunately, he HATES to be on his tummy, and he can't quite figure out how to roll back. When he's just having floor time it's not such a big deal. He gets stuck, cries those big ol' alligator tears, and mama rescues him. (I do try to "help" him roll back over). However, it's really affecting his sleep. He has been going down to bed at about 7:30 p.m. and sleeping through until about 4:30 a.m. Now, he's waking up (multiple times) and wailing because he's rolled over to his tummy. He gets so frustrated he doesn't even try to roll to his back. He just puts his face down into the mattress and cries. His naps today we're pretty much non-existent. He wouldn't stay on his back long enough to even fall asleep. I feel so badly for him -- he's so tired and cranky and that just isn't like him at all! Should I just put him in the swing to sleep until he can roll from tummy to back? I'm sorry this is so long, but I just don't know what to do to help him. Any advice is appreciated!

TIA,

~Linda~
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25049.jpg

almostamom
DS has finally mastered rolling over from his back to his tummy. He's been trying for MONTHS, but could never quite make it all the way over until this week. Now, as soon as he's down on his back, he immediately rolls onto his tummy. Unfortunately, he HATES to be on his tummy, and he can't quite figure out how to roll back. When he's just having floor time it's not such a big deal. He gets stuck, cries those big ol' alligator tears, and mama rescues him. (I do try to "help" him roll back over). However, it's really affecting his sleep. He has been going down to bed at about 7:30 p.m. and sleeping through until about 4:30 a.m. Now, he's waking up (multiple times) and wailing because he's rolled over to his tummy. He gets so frustrated he doesn't even try to roll to his back. He just puts his face down into the mattress and cries. His naps today we're pretty much non-existent. He wouldn't stay on his back long enough to even fall asleep. I feel so badly for him -- he's so tired and cranky and that just isn't like him at all! Should I just put him in the swing to sleep until he can roll from tummy to back? I'm sorry this is so long, but I just don't know what to do to help him. Any advice is appreciated!

TIA,

~Linda~

almostamom

TIA,

~Linda~

MarisaSF
06-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Oh sweetie! I remember those first-roll days just a couple months ago...

I'm not BTDT though exactly as DD rolled F-B first. I can say that it wasn't too much longer until she figured out how to do it the other way. I'd encourage a LOT of tummy time and practice F-B rolling during the day. And, for now, do what you need to get him to sleep at night -- swing or whatever -- as you BOTH need your sleep!

MarisaSF

I'm not BTDT though exactly as DD rolled F-B first. I can say that it wasn't too much longer until she figured out how to do it the other way. I'd encourage a LOT of tummy time and practice F-B rolling during the day. And, for now, do what you need to get him to sleep at night -- swing or whatever -- as you BOTH need your sleep!

MarisaSF

mudder17
06-03-2005, 11:05 PM
My experience may not be too helpful because Kaya learned to roll over on her tummy at 4.5 months, right around the same time we were sleep training (ack!). She had just gotten to the point where she was able to fall asleep on her own when she learned this new "trick". And like your DS, she could get onto her stomach, but not back onto her back. Well, we tried flipping her over, but then she would flip right back. After doing this 3 times, we stopped and continued to watch her on the monitor. She moaned and whimpered and cried and then she put her head down and went to sleep! She woke up a couple hours later, moaned and complained and went back to sleep! The next night, we put her down on her back and she flipped right over on her stomach. This time we did nothing and she moaned, complained, cried, and more quickly gave up, put her head down and went to sleep. The next night, she didn't complain after we put her down and she flipped onto her stomach. Since then, she's always been a stomach sleeper, even after she learned to flip back onto her back. She just seemed to sleep better on her stomach. So it required some CIO, but we were doing CIO at the time (none of us, including Kaya, was getting any sleep!), so it all worked out.

ETA: If we had not been doing CIO at the time, then I would have probably done anything I could to get all of us to sleep, including the swing! (Or more probably the car seat carrier, since she slept comfortably in that.) You and your DS definitely need the sleep more than anything else. Just give him lots of tummy time during the day and he'll figure it out eventually.

Sending you lots of flipping vibes and good sleep vibes!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

mudder17
My experience may not be too helpful because Kaya learned to roll over on her tummy at 4.5 months, right around the same time we were sleep training (ack!). She had just gotten to the point where she was able to fall asleep on her own when she learned this new "trick". And like your DS, she could get onto her stomach, but not back onto her back. Well, we tried flipping her over, but then she would flip right back. After doing this 3 times, we stopped and continued to watch her on the monitor. She moaned and whimpered and cried and then she put her head down and went to sleep! She woke up a couple hours later, moaned and complained and went back to sleep! The next night, we put her down on her back and she flipped right over on her stomach. This time we did nothing and she moaned, complained, cried, and more quickly gave up, put her head down and went to sleep. The next night, she didn't complain after we put her down and she flipped onto her stomach. Since then, she's always been a stomach sleeper, even after she learned to flip back onto her back. She just seemed to sleep better on her stomach. So it required some CIO, but we were doing CIO at the time (none of us, including Kaya, was getting any sleep!), so it all worked out.

ETA: If we had not been doing CIO at the time, then I would have probably done anything I could to get all of us to sleep, including the swing! (Or more probably the car seat carrier, since she slept comfortably in that.) You and your DS definitely need the sleep more than anything else. Just give him lots of tummy time during the day and he'll figure it out eventually.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting

mudder17

Eileen

tiapam
06-03-2005, 11:15 PM
I would start him on his tummy for floor time and really try to interest him in something to distract him. And I would not rescue him too soon. DD cried when on her tummy, so when she was crying and I could not get her to stop (after trying obvious things), I put her on her tummy. At least I cut down on overall crying time, since she was already crying when I put her down! Eventually she stopped crying when on her tummy and rolled over tummy to back before back to tummy.

For naps and bedtime, you might try a sleep positioner. I don't know much about them, so I don't know what age they are suitable for, but you might want to check them out. The swing is a good idea, too, or maybe a walk in the stroller.

Good luck!

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

tiapam
I would start him on his tummy for floor time and really try to interest him in something to distract him. And I would not rescue him too soon. DD cried when on her tummy, so when she was crying and I could not get her to stop (after trying obvious things), I put her on her tummy. At least I cut down on overall crying time, since she was already crying when I put her down! Eventually she stopped crying when on her tummy and rolled over tummy to back before back to tummy.

For naps and bedtime, you might try a sleep positioner. I don't know much about them, so I don't know what age they are suitable for, but you might want to check them out. The swing is a good idea, too, or maybe a walk in the stroller.

Good luck!

-Pam

tiapam

Good luck!

-Pam

californiagirl
06-04-2005, 12:11 AM
Hang in there. In about 4 (very long) days, DD learned how *not* to roll over when she didn't want to. Before that, she behaved like gravity was pulling left. Put her down, and flip, there she was, on her tummy. After the first few times she started to howl in mid-roll. We would rescue her until we got bored (DH flipped her over 9 times in 30 minutes once) and then get slower and slower about it. Eventually she figured out how to stay on her back. It took several months for her to learn how to roll tummy to back!

californiagirl
Hang in there. In about 4 (very long) days, DD learned how *not* to roll over when she didn't want to. Before that, she behaved like gravity was pulling left. Put her down, and flip, there she was, on her tummy. After the first few times she started to howl in mid-roll. We would rescue her until we got bored (DH flipped her over 9 times in 30 minutes once) and then get slower and slower about it. Eventually she figured out how to stay on her back. It took several months for her to learn how to roll tummy to back!

californiagirl

Marisa6826
06-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Um, duct tape? Have you tried putting a wedge pillow on one side of him so he has a little more room to leverage? I used to "practice" rolling over with Sophie on our king bed. It seems the trick is to get them to not get their little arm stuck underneath.

Mia has rolled a couple times. Today I was thinking to myself that I don't give her nearly as much tummy time as I probably should. Then I went on to think that maybe it's not that big of deal in terms of milestones. After that I went downstairs and polished off a bunch of chocolate chip cookies from Whole Foods for breakfast. You can see how my mind works.

Of course, she would probably be able to roll better if I got off my ass and actually put her in a crib instead of squishing her in her Moses basket at 6m old.

*sigh*

I need a fairy princess wand.

-m

Marisa6826
Um, duct tape? Have you tried putting a wedge pillow on one side of him so he has a little more room to leverage? I used to "practice" rolling over with Sophie on our king bed. It seems the trick is to get them to not get their little arm stuck underneath.

Mia has rolled a couple times. Today I was thinking to myself that I don't give her nearly as much tummy time as I probably should. Then I went on to think that maybe it's not that big of deal in terms of milestones. After that I went downstairs and polished off a bunch of chocolate chip cookies from Whole Foods for breakfast. You can see how my mind works.

Of course, she would probably be able to roll better if I got off my ass and actually put her in a crib instead of squishing her in her Moses basket at 6m old.

*sigh*

-m

Marisa6826

*sigh*

-m

MarisaSF
06-04-2005, 12:47 AM
A few more thoughts:

1- I don't *think* a sleep positioner would work now, but if you have one, try it. That is, I think if you used it now, he's just roll into one of the sides and get frustrated there, so I wouldn't shell out the dough for a new one. (If you are looking for one, we liked the Dex 3-in-1, DD slept on it FOREVER without the side thingies.)

2- Try swaddling him tightly. That worked for DD. She couldn't roll over when swaddled and she LOVED rolling over!

3- For Tummy Time, DD hated being flat on her tummy too. We put a boppy pillow under her and some toys within reaching distance. You can roll up a blanket or two if you don't have a boppy. Just put roll under DC's chest.

HTH!

MarisaSF
A few more thoughts:

1- I don't *think* a sleep positioner would work now, but if you have one, try it. That is, I think if you used it now, he's just roll into one of the sides and get frustrated there, so I wouldn't shell out the dough for a new one. (If you are looking for one, we liked the Dex 3-in-1, DD slept on it FOREVER without the side thingies.)

2- Try swaddling him tightly. That worked for DD. She couldn't roll over when swaddled and she LOVED rolling over!

3- For Tummy Time, DD hated being flat on her tummy too. We put a boppy pillow under her and some toys within reaching distance. You can roll up a blanket or two if you don't have a boppy. Just put roll under DC's chest.

HTH!

MarisaSF
A few more thoughts:

HTH!

deborah_r
06-04-2005, 01:30 AM
Someday soon you'll be asking "Why did we want him to crawl? Why did we want him to walk? And why, oh why, did we want him to talk?" :) :) :) :)

deborah_r
Someday soon you'll be asking "Why did we want him to crawl? Why did we want him to walk? And why, oh why, did we want him to talk?" :) :) :) :)

deborah_r

Wife_and_mommy
06-04-2005, 10:53 AM
My thoughts exactly!!! :P

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://lilypie.com/days/060228/3/21/1/-5/.png

Wife_and_mommy
06-04-2005, 10:53 AM
My thoughts exactly!!! :P

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://lilypie.com/days/060228/3/21/1/-5/.png