PDA

View Full Version : 2nd birthday party - *bubbles* theme - any fun ideas?

CiderLogan
06-03-2005, 11:33 PM
I have decided on a party theme, but I need your creative ideas! I am not one of the most creative people around, and I'm not really the party type in general, but I want to give Julia a cute party for her (dozen or so) neighborhood friends. Most of the kids are under 3, and their parents will likely attend too. Here's what I am thinking so far:

ACTIVITIES:
My whole bubble theme idea came from trying to think of activities for kids this age that keep them entertained but don't make a huge mess! So I imagined all the parents and kids on our front lawn blowing bubbles - my plan is to pick up a few different bubble contraptions and bubble blowers at Target and just hand them out for the adults to use so the kids can run around the chase the bubbles....

INVITATIONS:
I found a cute rubber stamp that is bubbles... I was going to stamp it around the edge of a blank card and print something like the following. Any wording changes or complete rewrites would be appreciated!
"Our little Julia is turning two.
We can't wait to celebrate with you!
We'll have lots to do - the fun won't stop,
Because BUBBLES will fly, and some will POP!"

DECORATIONS:
Clear and translucent colored balloons?

FOOD:
I am planning on a late-afternoon (post-nap) party time so not a meal, but any ideas for theme-related snacks? Otherwise, I can just think of the general toddler food like grapes, cheese pieces, crackers, etc. I was thinking of cupcakes instead of a big cake for ease of serving to the little ones (plus they are circular like bubbles). I haven't been able to find any bubble-printed plates or napkins, but I've found polkadot ones.... any better ideas?

FAVORS:
A bottle of bubbles is the obvious one, but I can't think of any others for this age group....

OK, so her birthday is still a few months away, but it's late and I can't sleep, so I figured I'd go ahead and post this! :) I actually have never planned anything like this (her first birthday was just with family), so any other suggestions for something like this would be great!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/27/03

CiderLogan
I have decided on a party theme, but I need your creative ideas! I am not one of the most creative people around, and I'm not really the party type in general, but I want to give Julia a cute party for her (dozen or so) neighborhood friends. Most of the kids are under 3, and their parents will likely attend too. Here's what I am thinking so far:

ACTIVITIES:
My whole bubble theme idea came from trying to think of activities for kids this age that keep them entertained but don't make a huge mess! So I imagined all the parents and kids on our front lawn blowing bubbles - my plan is to pick up a few different bubble contraptions and bubble blowers at Target and just hand them out for the adults to use so the kids can run around the chase the bubbles....

INVITATIONS:
I found a cute rubber stamp that is bubbles... I was going to stamp it around the edge of a blank card and print something like the following. Any wording changes or complete rewrites would be appreciated!

DECORATIONS:

FOOD:
I am planning on a late-afternoon (post-nap) party time so not a meal, but any ideas for theme-related snacks? Otherwise, I can just think of the general toddler food like grapes, cheese pieces, crackers, etc. I was thinking of cupcakes instead of a big cake for ease of serving to the little ones (plus they are circular like bubbles). I haven't been able to find any bubble-printed plates or napkins, but I've found polkadot ones.... any better ideas?

FAVORS:
A bottle of bubbles is the obvious one, but I can't think of any others for this age group....

OK, so her birthday is still a few months away, but it's late and I can't sleep, so I figured I'd go ahead and post this! :) I actually have never planned anything like this (her first birthday was just with family), so any other suggestions for something like this would be great!

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/27/03

CiderLogan

ACTIVITIES:

INVITATIONS:

DECORATIONS:

FOOD:

FAVORS:

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/27/03

MarisaSF
06-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Your ideas are so cute. You don't even need advice!

For activities.... DEFINITELY do a giant bubble tub. There's a way to do it yourself. Not that I ever have, LOL, but I'm sure someone has the recipe... something like dish soap and water in a tub and use a big round thing to make a "bubble tunnel"!! I'd suggest burning a CD of bubble songs, but I can't think of many... "Bubble Toes" and the one that goes, "bubbles, tiny bubbles" come to mind.

Food: Grapes look like bubbles! On top of the cupcakes, you could put those round flat sprinkles. Lychee fruit? Tapioca? Champagne?

For favors ... you could do bubble bath (maybe even make yourself?). Bath toys? You could send parents home with adult bubble bath too! I was also thinking for little girls, you could send them home with those hair ties that look like bubbles, kwim? Translucent balls at the end of a double loop.

Invite:
To make the poem a bit less wordy, how 'bout:
Our Julia is turning two
And wants to celebrate with you!
Lots to do - the fun won't stop,
BUBBLES will fly, and some will POP!

oooh. Now *I* want to throw a party!

MarisaSF

For activities.... DEFINITELY do a giant bubble tub. There's a way to do it yourself. Not that I ever have, LOL, but I'm sure someone has the recipe... something like dish soap and water in a tub and use a big round thing to make a "bubble tunnel"!! I'd suggest burning a CD of bubble songs, but I can't think of many... "Bubble Toes" and the one that goes, "bubbles, tiny bubbles" come to mind.

Food: Grapes look like bubbles! On top of the cupcakes, you could put those round flat sprinkles. Lychee fruit? Tapioca? Champagne?

For favors ... you could do bubble bath (maybe even make yourself?). Bath toys? You could send parents home with adult bubble bath too! I was also thinking for little girls, you could send them home with those hair ties that look like bubbles, kwim? Translucent balls at the end of a double loop.

Invite:
Our Julia is turning two

MarisaSF

Invite:
Our Julia is turning two

CiderLogan
06-04-2005, 09:01 AM
I can't take credit for the ideas I had... I got most of them off the internet! But I LOVE your ideas - I knew I would get some great ones from the friendly moms here! I am definitely using your invite poem instead, and now I am totally excited about the food, activity, and favor ideas. Thanks so much!!

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan
I can't take credit for the ideas I had... I got most of them off the internet! But I LOVE your ideas - I knew I would get some great ones from the friendly moms here! I am definitely using your invite poem instead, and now I am totally excited about the food, activity, and favor ideas. Thanks so much!!

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

CiderLogan

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

August Mom
06-04-2005, 03:31 PM
For the adults, perhaps you want punch with carbonation or even sherbet for the frothy bubbles. Or, to highlight bubbles in drinks, you could serve fruit flavored/carbonated water, either in bottles or in clear glasses.

I'm having trouble thinking of bubble foods, but if you are mainly thinking round, you could do a melon ball salad. Just get a melon baller and put balls of watermelon, canteloupe and honeydew (and you could add the grapes here too if you wanted). I'd put them in a glass trifle dish or bowl.

If you do a pasta salad, you could do wagon wheels instead of rotini.

Or, if you're into the round thing, I have a recipe for a grape or cherry tomato/fresh mozzarella salad. Just let me know if you would like the recipe.

Those frozen cream puffs you can buy at Sam's Club and the like would be another round item, but you may not want more dessert items.

The clear beach balls at PBK have a bubble look that might be fun. It's a shame they are pricey.

Speaking of PBK, I can't remember how much they are, but they have cool bubble blowers that little kids can use. They look like fish. (There are blue and pink ones, I think). You dish the fish's lips in the bubble solution and then squeeze the fish and bubbles come out. These would be cute favors if not too expensive.

Another favor idea is light-up balls. My MIL got these for DS at Easter and they were very cute. I think she got them at Wal-Mart. They are plastic and when you bounce them, a light inside lights up.

Oh. Another thing that would probably be cute is those reusable ice cubes you can get. You freeze them and put them in people's glasses to keep drinks cold, but they don't melt in the drink. They come clear or in colors and I've seen them round.

Another activity you could do is use your bubble stamp or get bubble stickers for the kids to use on paper and take home.

For decorations, it would be pretty to put marbles in clear containers for flowers or something (as long as the little ones couldn't get into them).

It sounds like a very fun party.

ETA: You used to be able to get Jello that you made with club soda so that it had bubbles. That might be cute too.

August Mom
06-04-2005, 03:31 PM
For the adults, perhaps you want punch with carbonation or even sherbet for the frothy bubbles. Or, to highlight bubbles in drinks, you could serve fruit flavored/carbonated water, either in bottles or in clear glasses.

I'm having trouble thinking of bubble foods, but if you are mainly thinking round, you could do a melon ball salad. Just get a melon baller and put balls of watermelon, canteloupe and honeydew (and you could add the grapes here too if you wanted). I'd put them in a glass trifle dish or bowl.

If you do a pasta salad, you could do wagon wheels instead of rotini.

Or, if you're into the round thing, I have a recipe for a grape or cherry tomato/fresh mozzarella salad. Just let me know if you would like the recipe.

Those frozen cream puffs you can buy at Sam's Club and the like would be another round item, but you may not want more dessert items.

The clear beach balls at PBK have a bubble look that might be fun. It's a shame they are pricey.

Speaking of PBK, I can't remember how much they are, but they have cool bubble blowers that little kids can use. They look like fish. (There are blue and pink ones, I think). You dish the fish's lips in the bubble solution and then squeeze the fish and bubbles come out. These would be cute favors if not too expensive.

Another favor idea is light-up balls. My MIL got these for DS at Easter and they were very cute. I think she got them at Wal-Mart. They are plastic and when you bounce them, a light inside lights up.

Oh. Another thing that would probably be cute is those reusable ice cubes you can get. You freeze them and put them in people's glasses to keep drinks cold, but they don't melt in the drink. They come clear or in colors and I've seen them round.

Another activity you could do is use your bubble stamp or get bubble stickers for the kids to use on paper and take home.

For decorations, it would be pretty to put marbles in clear containers for flowers or something (as long as the little ones couldn't get into them).

It sounds like a very fun party.

ETA: You used to be able to get Jello that you made with club soda so that it had bubbles. That might be cute too.

CiderLogan
06-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks so much for the many ideas. I will definitely be using some of these!

Mmmm, I love tomato/mozz. salad. Yes, I'd love the recipe if you don't mind! Should I PM you?

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/27/03

August Mom
06-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil Salad

1 qt. grape or cherry tomatoes
1 qt. bocconcini (fresh mozzarella balls)
1/4 c. chiffonade basil
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 T. balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt, to taste

Mix olive oil, garlic, salt and balsamic vinegar together. (I usually add coarsely ground black pepper too).

In a medium bowl, place tomatoes and mozzarella. Pour in dressing. Add basil and toss to coat.

mama2galpals
06-06-2005, 10:01 AM
i love your idea. that is really adorable. since she is born in august maybe you could have a baby pool or two set up too.

emma and stella LOVE these bubble blowers we saw at the disney store for $9.99 they are automatic so they blow the bubbles for you.

ttp://adisney.images.go.com/Images/I-Catalog/DS/Products/005181/44119/44119_P.jpg

they come in a few other characters too like nemo, stitch eeyore etc.

those bunches of clear balloons are perfect. i could just picture that.

rita
mommy to
olivia 2/7/97
stella 9/24/00
emma 1/23/03

There is no remedy for love but to love more.
--Henry David Thoreau

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

MarisaSF
06-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Another idea....

How 'bout a big roll of bubble wrap for the kids to jump on? (Can you tell I'm in the middle of a move?)

s_gosney
06-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Do you have Dollar Tree stores where you live? If so, they have these wands that make great big bubbles. They each come with the little thing to dip them in. Kylee loves hers, and it's easy enough to use that she's been doing it by herself for several months, but kids of all ages love them. And for $1, I think it'd be a great favor.

CiderLogan
06-07-2005, 04:26 PM
I really appreciate all the GREAT ideas here! Thanks to all of you!

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03