PDA

View Full Version : Dyspraxia Books

winterwonderland
06-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Has anyone heard or used any of the following books?

Mouth Madness: Oral Motor Activities for Children by Catherine Orr

Understanding Developmental Dyspraxia by Madeleine Portwood

Dyspraxia: The Hidden Handicap by Dr. Amanda Kirby

The Late Talker: What To Do If Your Child Isn't Talking Yet by Marilyn Agin

I have already read The Child With Speical Needs: Encouraging Intellectual & Emotional Grown by Stanely Greenspan. I found this book helpful in that there is a program, so to speak, about floor time.

I am very interested in the book by Catherine Orr and on Amazon.com it is $50 and I think that is for the paperback edition.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

winterwonderland

I have already read The Child With Speical Needs: Encouraging Intellectual & Emotional Grown by Stanely Greenspan. I found this book helpful in that there is a program, so to speak, about floor time.

I am very interested in the book by Catherine Orr and on Amazon.com it is $50 and I think that is for the paperback edition.

winterwonderland

alkagift
06-04-2005, 11:34 AM
I have read the Late Talker and like it. It does have sources for some interesting things, including music. It also has other parent-involvement ideas. If you're just beginning to understand the apraxia of speech issues, I think it's a great book.

I have not read the others you mentioned. However, I have read The LCP Solution which was recommended to me by the folks on the apraxia-kids listserv and website.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything. DS was diagnosed with mild to moderate dyspraxia in December so we're just going through the learning curve.

ETA: We use the Beckman Oral-Motor exercises as provided by our SLP, so I haven't thought to investigate other sources for oral-motor--there's a part of me that doesn't want to sidetrack the plan, if you know what I mean.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO

alkagift
06-04-2005, 11:34 AM
I have read the Late Talker and like it. It does have sources for some interesting things, including music. It also has other parent-involvement ideas. If you're just beginning to understand the apraxia of speech issues, I think it's a great book.

I have not read the others you mentioned. However, I have read The LCP Solution which was recommended to me by the folks on the apraxia-kids listserv and website.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything. DS was diagnosed with mild to moderate dyspraxia in December so we're just going through the learning curve.

ETA: We use the Beckman Oral-Motor exercises as provided by our SLP, so I haven't thought to investigate other sources for oral-motor--there's a part of me that doesn't want to sidetrack the plan, if you know what I mean.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO

cchavez
06-04-2005, 01:39 PM
You can always ask your therapist if she/he has this book in her prof. library and then maybe you can borrow it. Another thought is inter-library loan. I just did this for the book, "Just Take A Bite." My son has behavorial/sensory feeding issues. hth

cchavez
06-04-2005, 01:39 PM
You can always ask your therapist if she/he has this book in her prof. library and then maybe you can borrow it. Another thought is inter-library loan. I just did this for the book, "Just Take A Bite." My son has behavorial/sensory feeding issues. hth