PDA

View Full Version : It's time for a new computer!

Globetrotter
06-06-2005, 03:56 AM
I have absolutely, positively HAD it with my computer. It keeps freezing and I keep having to reboot. It can't seem to handle some programs, either, and is overall driving me BATTY!!

I have considered a Mac, but I'm still a little nervous about making the switch. Also, I'm thinking of getting a laptop and keeping the desktop, so they would have to be compatible. If I replace the desktop altogether, it won't matter.

I need something that is really good for digital pictures, since that will be the primary use. Of course, also email/internet/desktop publishing.. HUGE memory would be good.

I also want something user friendly with good technical support if something goes wrong. Is Dell worth the price? I really need a number that I can call when I have a problem, since dh is too busy to help me most of the time. What would you buy? I'm willing to pay for quality, though not too extravagant!

Kris

LD92599
06-06-2005, 05:56 AM
One Word: Apple!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://lilypie.com/pic/050530/616a731.jpg[/img][img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

Marisa6826
06-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Join the dark side. APPLE!!!

Seriously, I was a PC nerd and then met my Mac dork DH. We've got Apples now and they really, truly are pretty intuitive.

There are a bunch of Mac heads here, so I'm sure if you had a question somebody could easily answer.

Besides - no viruses!!

-m

papal
06-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Third vote for a Mac. Powerbook or iBook. You will never look back.

Globetrotter
06-06-2005, 10:45 AM
I see there is a MAC cult here :)

Won't it be hard to switch back and forth between Mac and PC, if I keep the desktop?

What about the technical support issue?

I have used a Mac, way back in grad school, and I loved it. Dh thinks I'm crazy to consider - he thinks it'll be hard to have a Mac in a PC world. I think I'm more of a Mac person, though..

What's the downside?

Kris

tarahsolazy
06-06-2005, 11:49 AM
If you buy the AppleCare protection plan, you get three years of great tehcnical assistance. You can really just call a number, and get some guy in California on the line to help you. At my house, we have an iBook (my computer) and a desktop PC (DH's computer). They both use our high-speed internet via an Apple Airport wireless hub, no problems.

I use a Mac at work, and I am among the minority around here. The only problem I have seen is that Word documents with detailed figures on them sometimes have the figures garbled when you switch back and forth.

I think for home use, you won't notice any problems. We use the Mac for our pictures, but also have a separate harddrive for "deep storage" of pics. I back the pics and music up with it every few months. But, my Mac is three years old, and only has a 30 gig hard drive.

We have always had Dell PCs, and their customer service and tech support are very good as well. My sister bought an HP from some retailer, and had a problem with it. She had to go back and forth between the retailer, and HP to figure out who was supposed to take care of it. With Dell or Apple, its obvious who to talk to. I like that.

Oh and another thing about Macs: almost no viruses, fewer pop-ups, no spyware, etc.

MelissaTC
06-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Are you running Windows 98 or XP? I had the same problem and we were running Windows 98. DH finally caved and loaded XP. It is like a God send. No problems whatsoever. I am in love! My DH is an IBMer so there will never be a Mac in this house....

amp
06-06-2005, 02:06 PM
I thought this too, but I married DH, who is a die-hard Mac/Apple fan, and I found the adjustment to be a breeze! I no longer have any desire to own another brand! As for the switching, I don't know if that's awkward or not. I did use a Mac at home and IBM's when working, although I can't speak to that anymore, as I'm home now. I guess I just got used to doing different things on each machine. If you are doing the same stuff on 2 different types, I don't know.

caridura
06-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Mac, Mac, Mac!!

I made the switch in January and LOVE it. I still have a PC desktop in the house which is working, but I don't even WANT to use it. Really, I have no reason to! Everything that I need my computer for, my Mac can do. And it does it flawlessly without annoying viruses or the blue screen of death. The only time I need to reboot my Mac is when I download new software updates and rebooting is required. Having a Mac in this 'PC world' hasn't been a problem for me at all. Love my Mac and will never go back! :)

There is AppleCare if you are worried about tech support. I haven't needed to use tech support yet (although I had a scare this weekend when I spilled water on my iBook!), but I've heard good things.

tigalig
06-06-2005, 11:45 PM
We have never used Mac and we currently have Dell. All I can say is that we're generally pleased with it, but cs is only awesome when you're buying! After that, you will be on hold forever and transferred time after time. So I may like the computer okay, but I hate their cs!

Globetrotter
06-07-2005, 12:49 AM
OK, guys! You've convinced me - I'm think I'm getting a Mac! LOL at the Blue Screen of Death :)

I can't tell you how many times I've had to do a hard reboot (or whatever it's called) this week. I've even had to unplug the machine a few times! Not good.

So now the question is...

which one? I'm thinking laptop, but mainly for home use with wireless internet (?), so easy portability isn't that critical. Ease of use is the most important factor. I'll be using it mainly for digital pictures/editing/storage, email, internet and word processing.

Kris

Globetrotter
06-07-2005, 12:51 AM
I have Windows 2000.

My friend gave me this PC (I had helped them out with something) and he works for IBM. He's not gonna be happy! ;)

Kris