PDA

View Full Version : Skunked!

Java
06-06-2005, 09:42 AM
My friend's 2 dogs were skunked over the weekend and she said it's the worse smell in the world. Enough to make her eyes water. She's tried the commercial de-skunker you get at Petco but the stink is still there.

I remember reading somewhere that you can use tomato sauce and the acid neutralizes the smell. Has anyone tried this?

Anyone BTDT with success?

TIA!

ShayleighCarsensMom
06-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Anything with tomato in it...tomato sauce, paste, juice will all work...
EEW! I feel for her!

elliput
06-06-2005, 10:47 AM
My dog got skunked in the face last September when I was 5 monthes pregnant. Not pleasant! I wish I would have looked to see why she wanted to go outside so badly. Fortunately, I was able to get most of the spray off within just a couple of minutes after she was sprayed by blotting with a damp paper towel. I then used the Krebaum formula http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/pestqtrly/oct95/sknkrmdy.txt to neutralize the smell. My hydrogen peroxide was pretty old and I had to scrounge up the baking soda from the freezer, so I don't think it worked as well as it could have, but it did help quite a bit.

HTH!

mudder17
06-06-2005, 11:06 AM
No, no, no, no, no! It may mask the smell, but really, all you'll get is a stinky orange dog. Make a mixture of 50:50 vinegar and peroxide and put that on the dog. It makes peroxyacid, which will oxidize the sulfur compounds, rendering them water soluble and less stinky. An added bonus is that you won't have a red/orange dog. :)

ETA: I hope I didn't come across as snarky. I just remember my graduate school advisor telling this to her chemistry class (apparently she had to do it with their cat) and some kids talking about stinky orange pets. :P

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

R2sweetboys
06-06-2005, 12:04 PM
I feel for your friend! Wow, TWO dogs!! Our dog has been sprayed twice and it truly is a nauseating smell. It's nothing like the skunk smell that you smell from afar. It's undescribable.

Both times we ended up using a solution given to us by our vet that worked really well. It's called "Skunk Off". Maybe she could call her vet and inquire. Before we got to the vet though(it was late at night), I did use a can of tomato soup that I had. It may have helped but definitely not completely. The emergency clinic I called gave me the recipe for a solution that involved baking soda and peroxide.(I think) Maybe search online and you'll probably find it. If I were her, I'd use ALL of them. It's a hard odor to get rid of,that's for sure.
~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

jesseandgrace
06-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Pet groomers also offer a de-skunking. It happened to me (our dog) a few months ago, and it was AWFUL!

schums
06-06-2005, 01:42 PM
When my mom's dog got sprayed (really bad, really close) she called the vet after trying EVERYTHING she could find, and he suggested using Massingail douches. I'm not sure if you have to dilute them or not (it's been several years and I can't get ahold of her to ask), but it worked like a charm immediately. The only place the dog still smelled was under his ears where Mom was afraid to wash too much.

HTH,

Sarah

amp
06-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Well, my mom successfully deskunked our dogs w/ a tomato juice bath several times. One time she did it with stewed tomatoes, which was all she had on hand, and my dad couldn't figure out what was floating in the bath when he got in later on. Yep, stewed tomatoes don't clean up as thoroughly as juice!

Java
06-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Eileen - no problem, snark away! :+ If my dogs were skunked, I wouldn't care how advice was given as long as it worked! (And BTW, you weren't snarky.)

Thanks eveyone for your words of wisdom - I will send this thread to my friend to read and take notes. She was supposed to come visit with her pups this week but I think Kael will just have to wait another week to play with them.

AngelaS
06-06-2005, 04:17 PM
This is what "Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean" recommends. Full strength, watch their eyes.