PDA

View Full Version : OT --Chiropractor experiences

kath68
06-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Didn't want to hijack the other thread, but I have been meaning to ask people's experiences/opinions about chiropractors.

I sort-of got snookered into seeing one (to replace some old orthotics for my shoes), and am now supposed to see him 3x a week (then 2x, then maintenance for a long while). Since I had 12 visits under my ins. co and some long-standing back troubles, I thought I'd give it a whirl. After the first few visits, I think my back is better is some ways, but worse in others. Still, the appointments are $45 dollars once the insurance cuts out. That is pretty pricey, and I am thinking I can do well enough by just doing my back exercises and working out (hah! Like I get to the gym regularly...) And it kind of freaks me out to have my hip and neck cracked.

$ is tight here, and DH is pressuring me to stop seeing the "quack."

There seems to be mixed opinions out there about chiropractors, so I was just wanted to get opinions of all kinds from the people here. Esp. if any of the docs out there have opinions.

Thanks!

saschalicks
06-07-2005, 12:03 PM
I've had nothing but positive experiences with my Chiropractor. I definitely feel better EVERY TIME I see him. He's a gentle man with knowledge of years of working as a Chiropractor behind him. My DH was very SCEPTICLE when I brought him w/me one time and forced him to get his neck looked at. He has completely changed his opinion and has even given out the chiropractor's card. He has no more neck pain and only has to go for an occasional visit. I can't say enough good things.

On another note if you are still having pain when you leave you should consider a different chiropractor or telling him/her that things are just "not right". You should always feel better after.

I hope this helps in some way.

brittone2
06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
I'll PM you later today :)

Rachels
06-07-2005, 12:41 PM
I agree. It's very common to start off with intensive treatment like that. Your body is used to holding itself in an incorrect position, and it takes a while for it to relearn how to stay in alignment and for your tendons and muscles to adjust to the new position of your spine. If you only had an adjustment every so often at first, it wouldn't hold because your muscles would quickly pull your spine back into its old, familiar position. Once your body is staying in better alignment, you can back off the adjustments. An occasional correction will then be enough to keep you in good alignment. You can help this along with exercise (swimming and yoga are especially good for back stuff).

I do feel better EVERY time I go.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-07-2005, 12:58 PM
I got nothing out my experience except I sure did love the lounge chair they had with the motion wave down the back :)...

I think I would have enjoyed my visits more if I did not feel like I was in a well groomed sales schpiel. When I went the DR described my back to me so much in detail and as if I should be in so much pain that I started to walk around instantly like I was in pain. When I got up from the table his staff was prepared to say in a sweet symathetic voice "oh poor you your back must hurt so bad" when I felt "ok"...they were groomed to bring you back for more.

with that said I have heard wonderful things about chiros...jsut this one (a neighbor of mine) had a sales schpiel that made me uncomfortable.

Months later I went to a top notch ortho DR who totally countered anything and everything this chiro said about my "bad" back and "military neck" :)
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

kath68
06-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the info. The chiro has three tables in one room, and has more than one patient in the room at a time. That seems odd to me -- a little privacy doesn't seem like too much to ask. Is this normal?

I *think* I feel better afterward, but then outside of the office I have had some pretty bad lower-back tweaking, to the point where it is tough to sit down/stand up. Three separate times. Which is unusual for me, but maybe is from my muscles loosening up and re-aligning?

I've told him about it, and he does his voodoo to make it better. It feels better in the office. But is it my imagination? Is it just that I *want* it to work?

I am just a little suspicious because of the cost v. how much time he spends on me (5 minutes?), and the pressure sales pitch (I have a whole treatment plan that spans out for months).

jk3
06-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I thought the concept was ridiculous and I was not a believer. After suffering with major pain due to a herniated disc and trying 6 months of physical therapy which did nothing, I went to a chiropractor and I am a believe. I went 3x/week for 4 weeks and then 1x/week for 3 more weeks and I was 90% better at that point. I am a believer!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

Jeanne
06-07-2005, 01:59 PM
That was my experience in opposite Neve. I started with two Ortho's who both suggested that I see a Chiropractor for my slight curve and military neck.

I also began with intense weekly therapy. After about 6 months, I went down to twice per month for 6 months. Now I just go whenever I feel I need to which is about every 6 weeks.

My Chiropractor is so fair. He never charges full price when someone doesn't have insurance. He doesn't mark-up supplies above what the manufacturer charges him. He actually showed me the book of what a bite guard (for nighttime teeth grinding) costs as opposed to the triple mark-up my dentist quoted me!

He's never been in a convenient location and the drive is not always the easiest but I will never switch practices.

saschalicks
06-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Kathy,
Again I really think you should consider going to a different Chiro. 5 minutes is not enough to me unless you are just getting an alignment. For your money you should feel like you are getting something in return. Three beds in one room would give me the willies too.

brittone2
06-07-2005, 03:19 PM
The endorphins created by "cracking" can be attributed to the short term relief some get from chiropractic that just doesn't last for them.

Just think of when you crack your knuckles...for some, they get a tiny dose of "it feels good" by doing so. Cracking your other joints can provide similar short term relief from the endorphins.

I think Chiropractic care can be very helpful provided it is in conjunction with a very thorough rehabiliation program, but if it isn't providing you with any substantial relief, I'd either give it more time, find a better chiro, or consider physical therapy. There are good and bad chiros like any profession.

I will say for anyone turned off by the "sales tactic" approach used by some chiros, I'd definitely find another chiro. Their goal should be to get you better, and as physical therapist, I don't believe most people need to keep returning for months and months on end. Most PTs generally have a goal of NOT having their patients come back, kwim?

I do think Chiropractic care can be very valuable, but I think you have to find a good chiro, and also be aware that it doesn't work for everyone. Physical therapy is another very viable option for many with low back pain. Most PTs use less aggressive mobilization techniques compared to chiros as well, so if that's something you aren't comfortable with...you may want to look into PT as an alternative.

steph2003
06-07-2005, 03:43 PM
This is EXACTLY what a PT friend of mine when I was going thru my whole chiropractic experience. She did say there are some good chiros out there but they should work in conjunction with a PT doing a rehab program - adjustments aren't enough. You need soft tissue massage/exercises to help train the muscles into place.

I think it is Billysmom on the boards who is a PT & her husband is a chiro - she had some great info for me in what to look for in a chiro/PT program & how they rehab patients in their practice.

I know chiros have helped many here but I still remain leary because of the bad one I encountered :( she had me so convinced my spine was all messed up I went to an ortho doc & had x-rays done/exam to make sure I wasn't going to end up a shriveled old lady! ;)

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-07-2005, 04:23 PM
I knwo there are good ones...there have to be with such a fan base, I know mine was a sales schpiel they made your next appts before you left the door...they place was packed but well streamed...it was a science as to how they practiced...

I was lucky though I only had a minimal co-pay which might be why my sales schpiel was the way it was...

I know I could use a "good" one...jsut with this guy I always felt "taken" if that makes sense :)

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

Melanie
06-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I would shop around if you are not comfortable with yours.

We started with 3x a week, now we're down to 1-2x, but that is just based upon how we feel. I usually am wishing I was there twice a week, plus I'm very concerned about Ds' ears staying clear. Dh waits until he's in excruciating pain, then he goes (*eyeroll*)

Ours used to have the 3 tables in one room, it bothered me also, felt a bit cattle-ish, but there were other benefits that outweighed it. Now it's just a single room.

tiapam
06-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I would definitely look for a new chiro. Three patients in one room does not sound very professional. I would find it hard to relax in those circumstances. I go to a chiro that is in the complementary medicine section of the center where my regular docs are. You might want to look for a place like that.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

trumansmom
06-08-2005, 09:44 AM
I haven't read the other responses, and I just had my first experience with a chiropractor a couple of weeks ago, so I'm no expert, but I would get a second opinion.

I've always been hesitant to see a chiro because of stories like yours. However, a few weeks ago I had a pretty serious fall. After 3 weeks, I still had terrible pain in my back, shoulders, arms and pretty much everywhere else. I went to a chiropractor and immediately felt much better. He had me come for a second visit and that was it. He made a point of letting me know that he doesn't keep people coming back unless they really need it. He thought my recovery was much faster than anticipated and that that was a good thing.

Anyway, not ALL chiros ask you to return indefinitely. I would definitely get a second opinion.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

brittone2
06-08-2005, 11:48 AM
ITA with Jeanne. Well said.