PDA

View Full Version : Toothbrushing! How in the world?

lilycat88
06-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Ok...how is it exactly that you're supposed to brush teeth on a nearly 1 year old? Susanna got her first teeth about 2 weeks ago and we're working on the toothbrushing thing and it's horrible. Any helpful hints?

Jamelin
DD Susanna 6/29/04

ribbit1019
06-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Get one of those finger cover brushes. Gerber and First Years make them for sure, I got both of mine at Target.
It makes it a lot easier. I tried to "brush" DD's teeth once, it was a nightmare. With the finger cover she just though I was sticking my finger in her mouth.
GL!

ETD for spelling...

Christy
Maddy's Mom
06/09/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050609/1/0/0/-5/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif

tarabenet
06-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Yes, the finger-cover brushes. Also, for now, just wiping them carefully with a washcloth a couple of times a day is apparently OK, too.

My SIL is a dental hygienist, and this is how she is caring for niece's teeth (6 of them at 10 months! Darling little shark!)

Apparently preventing cavities, even in baby teeth that will be lost, is more important than most people believe. If you just pull a tooth, rather than treating it, you change the development of the underlying bone. You are so right to be worrying about tooth-care and teach those habits early!

Benet

MarisaSF
06-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Here's what I've *heard* to do. (Note: I didnt' say I do it!) :P

Sources (my dental hygeinist, my friend's mom who is a pedi dentist, and a friend who is a pediatrician).

1- even before they get teeth you should wipe the gums with gauze or a washcloth wrapped around your finger. This both cleans baby's mouth and gets them used to having something put in there (before introducing a toothbrush).

2- you can contine gauze/washcloth tx after they get teeth.

3- Floss yourself! Equally important is taking care of your *own* teeth and gums. some recent studies have shown that oral flora (ick) gets shared among family members. Think of it -- you try a bite of DC's food, then use same spoon for her. You give kisses. So, parents, brush and floss regularly -- keep those germies away!

kaylinsmommy2
06-07-2005, 10:52 PM
I read a thread about this in the Feeding Baby forum a few months ago. Someone suggested taht you jsut sit down every evening in the bathroom with the baby (maybe on the sink) and have her watch you brush your teeth. Give her a baby toothbrush, too, let her play with it and then *try* to help her brush her teeth. Then try and try again until she learns that this is what you do on a daily basis. The first day we did this, DH thought it was the dumbest thing, since DD just played with the faucet and looke din the mirror. After 2 weeks or so, she reached out to hold my toothbrush, so I let her "brush" my teeth. The next night, she helped me brush mine again, and DH went in and brushed hers at the same time! Now DD will brush her own teeth every evening, and then let me go in there and get them scrubbed well. :)It really worked!!
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

murpheyblue
06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
We did something similar to this and DD learned to enjoy brushing her own teeth. She wants to do what mommy does. I let her brush her own teeth and then give her a brief brushing with a second brush because at 20 months she's not that thorough.

tigalig
06-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Yes, my dd was also resistant to having her teeth brushed until she saw me do it. Now she's a champ. Well, I'm exaggerating, but she is really much, much better and not only tolerates it, but opens her mouth and looks in the mirror, etc.

wagner36
06-07-2005, 11:28 PM
We turned Charlie upside down until he got used to it. It worked! Now he LOVES to brush his teeth. We also use the upside-down trick to check for the molars, etc.

kaylinsmommy2
06-08-2005, 12:59 AM
okay, can you explain the upside down trip more? :) Is it that Charlie likes to be upside down so that he wouldn't complain/cry if you put in a toothbrush? Just curious.
Thanks!
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

brittone2
06-08-2005, 09:29 AM
We struggle a bit w/ toothbrushing with 15 month old DS but he does okay overall I guess. We just use a washcloth to gently scrub his teeth. Lately he's been getting more irritated with it but I think it is a combo of him never wanting to be still at ALL and also I believe he's teething again so his gums may be bugging him.

He likes the Raffi song "Brush your Teeth" or whatever it is called. We sing that and it helps a little bit anyway. I recently started having him brush *my* teeth before bed and then we do his. This has helped a bit (got this idea from the old thread on the boards about the topic)

It is quite a challenge...

wagner36
06-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Well, we turn him upside down (not by his ankles,he was be on our legs or on the bed with his head over the edge).

He was really resistant to opening his mouth for the toothbrush, and we could never reach the back teeth because he would bite down. So, the dentist said to try the upside-down trick because it would cause him to open up his mouth. We did that, and then gradually decreased the angle, and now he asks to brush his teeth as soon as he wakes up in the morning. If I forget before he goes to bed, he'll remind me.

kaylinsmommy2
06-08-2005, 10:46 PM
This is so funny becasue today, we got DD's 12 month shot, and I wanted to give her some Tylonol, but she wouldn't open her mouth... So we turned her upside down and she opened her mouth so we could get the dropper in. :) Different use of the upside down trick, but we're very happy. Thanks!
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

Puddy73
06-09-2005, 08:29 AM
DD got a mouthful of teeth pretty early and went through a period where she refused to let us brush them. We actually had to pry her jaw open - not fun! What finally worked for us was a children's electric spinbrush. It was shaped like Dora the Explorer so it looked fun, and she seemed to like the vibration on her gums. Now that she is older DH and I make fun faces and say "Ahhh" to get her to open her mouth.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."