PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor chopping down huge, old tree for aesthetic reasons - how to stop?

kristine_elen
06-07-2005, 02:29 PM
The neighbor across the street doesn't like his tree's "litter" -- the seedlings that fall from it. It's a huge, gorgeous tree that probably stands five stories tall. It breaks my heart that he's going to chop it down, especially because it's perfectly healthy and I don't think it's causing any problems to his house or pipes, etc.

It's on his property and probably none of my business (especially since we just moved onto this block about a month ago), but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do. I don't suppose there's any group that transplants unwanted trees? It's really huge, so I don't see how it could be done.

amp
06-07-2005, 02:35 PM
I hate people like that! I know, it's harsh! But someone did that to a big old, seemingly healthy tree near us and it made me sick to my stomach. They didn't even put in anything else. No bush, no small tree, no flowers. Just dirt sits there, and some weeds that they pretend is grass. It was just so sad!

alkagift
06-07-2005, 02:46 PM
In our city they have a tree ordinance to prevent the removal of old trees like what you're describing (even on private property). The interesting thing is, most residents don't even know about it! I would call your city or county to find out if you have a law like that. If you're not sure of who to call, you can always call the local arborist to see if they know. They're always tree-huggers, in my experience. :-)

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

kristine_elen
06-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Sorry, the local arborist? Is that a gov't position? (I know arbor means tree, I just haven't heard of an arborist position.) I'm going to call the county now. Thanks!

alkagift
06-07-2005, 02:56 PM
I meant a private arborist company (if you didn't know who else to call...). In Atlanta I use Arborguard. Certainly if your city or county has an arborist on staff, they would absolutely know! Atlanta does have a city arborist, but I think that is only because the ordinance requires it. The poor guy is overworked, I think.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

papal
06-07-2005, 03:13 PM
That is so sad and makes me a little mad. I hope you are able to find a way to get the neighbour to stop from cutting the tree.. do keep us updated.

murpheyblue
06-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Call the town and find out if there is a law about cutting down trees. Some places call them "heritage trees"

nitaghei
06-07-2005, 03:51 PM
As someone who has 6, yes, 6, extremely large trees in her backyard, my sympathy is entirely with your neighbour. I would LOVE to cut down these two gigantic trees we have - because they totally shade our yard, so nothing grows, and have the most enormous roots all over the place which have cracked our patio, and drop all kind of burrs and junk which we spend freakin' hours picking up before we can let DS and the PWD out to play.

Sorry to be so harsh - but it's his property, and he has to do the work to take care of it. I would be hopping mad if I had a some neighbour try to stop me from doing what I wanted with landscaping my own yard. Especially if someone tried to sic the local authorities or enviro nuts on me.

My advice, and I don't want to be rude - is to MYOB. After all - you aren't the one that has to live with consequences of keeping the tree.

Nita (wool is my crack)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

bostonsmama
06-07-2005, 04:04 PM
I agree, and I'm very pro-tree/pro-environment....and I'm a very avid gardener. Who is to say what your neighbor is thinking in removing the tree? Big trees are gorgeous, but they get more and more dangerous as they get older. Perhaps the neighbor has children and is worried about the tree falling on the house in a storm, killing the children. Perhaps your neighbor has a health problem that affects his/her ability to rake the leaves and wants to keep up the appearance of the neighborhood. The bottom line is that there very well could be more to the story...and calling the "watch dogs" on people should be reserved for the contractors who buldoze forrests for multi-million dollar condominiums.

I hope you find a nice compromise...maybe asking if you could donate a new, slower-growing, less messy tree to take its place after it's removed....or asking if you could organize a community co-op to help rake the leaves/seedlings. Sometimes, that's all it takes. Just a suggestion.

KBecks
06-07-2005, 04:25 PM
It's not your tree to worry about. Sorry.

Wife_and_mommy
06-07-2005, 04:35 PM
I agree with Nita too.

DH is *set* on having a giant tree removed from our yard. I love the tree, the shade, the lower electricity bill, etc. but also respect that he wants the tree down because of the risk of it falling on our house and possibly injuring us. I really wish the tree didn't have to go but have given up.

FWIW, your neighbor has probably given it serious thought and wants the tree down with good reason.

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://lilypie.com/days/060228/3/21/1/-5/.png

Phoebe
06-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Being on good terms with your neighbors is like money in the bank. Would you really want to jeopardize that over this man's tree?

We have two neighbors across the street from us who have been battling each other over trees and tree roots for two years. It's really ugly and both sides are so stubborn.

If there is a 'heritage tree' law in your city that will help you save the tree, I would pursue it anonymously. He would be furious if he knew a neighbor did that to him.

Mary
DD 4/01
DS 6/03

HannaAddict
06-07-2005, 04:47 PM
I would at least check and see if there is a heritage tree law in your city and/or talk to an arborist. The tree may not be perfectly healthy, there could be something wrong with the tree that is not obvious (a fungus that will eventually kill it, etc.) and your neighbor may feel sad himself. Or your neighbor may not care a bit about how the loss of the tree will impact the neighborhood, what other neighbors look at (a big stump or earth) and just want it cut down for no "good" reason. I disagree that people shouldn't be concerned about what neighbors do on their private property. Especially in a neighborhood, I think people should have some consideration for others and think about the impact of their choices when making a decision. Not to say they can't ultimately do what they want (within the law), but I think a more community oriented view is how to foster good neighbors and community.

Good luck, hope you can get some answers about the tree that will make you feel better.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

ett
06-07-2005, 05:04 PM
I would also have to agree with Nita. It's on his property so he can do whatever he wants with it. You also wouldn't want to risk getting on bad terms with your neighbor, especially since you just moved there.

asha
06-07-2005, 05:23 PM
ITA Nita too.
I dont any of my own trees, but am stuck with neightbors' trees bordering my yard through out. All over my yard, I have roots and shade, so nothing grows and the patio gets cracks all the time.
During fall, I get to clean my yard everyday and the gutters are always blocked. Even worse, I am allergic to one of those tress and can do nothing about it.
What I am trying to say is that, if it is hard for him to maintain the tree, its his right to get it out and make his life simpler. Sorry, but that's how I feel.