PDA

View Full Version : How often do you bathe your child? (Poll)

MarisaSF
06-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Not counting washing off their hands and face, how often do you put or bring your child into a bathtub/shower?

I'm thinking we don't bathe Jazzy with the same frequency as most parents.

american_mama
06-07-2005, 11:22 PM
I also think I don't bathe my children as often as most. The baby (7 months old) gets bathed perhaps 2 or 3 times a week, and my 3 year old gets bathed about twice a week or whenever I can't remember her last bath (that is no joke). Sometimes we just stand her in the tub and sponge off her bottom and legs.

I usually keep this a secret, as I think others will think it's gross, but I am baring all here!

wagner36
06-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Unless he has a gigantic blow out, or gets mud or something in his hair, Charlie gets bathed about 1x/week. It will probably be more like every 5 days this summer, since mud is his new best friend and the sunblock starts to build up...

We were never very frequent baby-bathers, so I'm sure I'm at the low end of the spectrum. I think it grosses our close friends out - they bathe their kids every night.

s7714
06-07-2005, 11:35 PM
When DD was younger, we usually bathed her every 2-3 days.

She currently gets bathed every night, but it's really more a part of her bedtime routine than it is for cleanliness. We alternate "wash nights" and "bubble nights" every other day. Bubble nights she plays in a bubble bath for about 5-10 minutes. Wash nights she doesn't get bubbles and gets washed head to toe. She's a little water baby though, and adores being in the water. She'll go without a bath before bedtime if we're traveling, but at home she'll beg and plead for a bath if we try to skip it.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
#2 It's a girl! EDD: 6/05
http://lilypie.com/days/050627/0/24/1/-8/.png

Marisa6826
06-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Hanging head in shame...

I usually just let my sitter bathe them the two days a week she's here, unless I can't stand the appearance of dirty hair or they start to smell like hamsters. ;)

They both LOVE baths - Sophie runs around screaming for towels if you even *hint* at a bath. Mia "swims" in her Eurotub - kicking her little legs and laughing.

I did give Sophie a bath tonight as she had a run in with a puddle of puppy pee in the kitchen. Don't ask... *sigh*

-m

Java
06-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Everyday.

It's part of his bedtime routine. Also we're at the park everyday, sometimes 2x a day so he's globbed up with sunblock. DH and I shower every evening (it's a Household Rule) so I'd like to get Kael in that mindset too. Or at least make it so ingrained in him that when he grows up he's more likely to bathe somewhat regularly.

And it's not even a bath. More like a small swimming hole with lots of splashing and fish swimming around (TRU sells these cool real-looking fish that automatically turn on when placed in water). We soap 2x a week to keep any germs at bay.

Remember too that Kael's our first. Whenever we get #2 we're probably going to be doing to sniff test method of checking for cleanliness.

Marisa6826
06-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Jennifer-

Be careful with the bubble baths. They tend to cause UTIs in little girls since their urethras are so short.

-m

lisams
06-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Everyday here, it actually keeps her eczema at bay (we use lukewarm water). When she was a baby we would bath her every 2 or 3 days, but her eczema actually started clearing up once we started doing daily baths with a "sealer" (lotion) to lock in the moisture right after her bath.

Plus she loves taking baths, and it settles her down so it's nice to have the routine.

Lisa

psophia17
06-07-2005, 11:59 PM
When DS was brand new, DH thought we should give him baths daily...which was insane, in my book. As the days went by, rather than argue with DH about how insane that was, I put him in charge of bathtime. For a while, it was daily, then every other day...now a couple of times a week, or when he gets food in his hair, or when he is dirty all over...but frequent swimming throws a wrench into things. Do you have to bathe the pruney baby extra, to get off the chlorine, even if you took showers right after? Do you bother with bathtime if you know that you're going to be in the pool for a couple of hours the next day?

We're working on that one - if anyone has a sure-fire way to deal with it please share!

MarisaSF
06-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Lisa-
Our ped told us that frequent bathing can be the cause or aggravate (or whatever) DD's eczema. Now I'm confused. Can you tell me what sealer lotion you use? Do you put it on her face too?

Others... I sooooo appreciate your honesty. Keep the tallies coming please!

almostamom
06-08-2005, 12:01 AM
DS gets a bath every night -- we only use soap every other night though. It's part of our routine -- bath, book, bottle, and bed (well, there are prayers too, but that didn't quite match the alliteration in our routine! :o )
~Linda~
DS 11/04
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25049.jpg

RwnMayfair
06-08-2005, 01:09 AM
If it makes you feel any better, Marisa, Taran had a run in with a container of oil and vinegar this past Saturday. ;) We had a get-together at our house, and we got sub platters as one of the food items. Well, the condiments came in seperate containers and John left the oil and vinegar too close to the edge of the counter as the last people were leaving. Taran decided he needed to get it off the counter and we ended up with a very vinegary little boy and a very messy kitchen floor. ;) Taran was *much* easier to clean up than the kitchen floor was...

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

ellies mom
06-08-2005, 01:14 AM
I'm sure you aren't counting her standing next to the shower with the door open even if she does get pretty wet. I try to bath her twice a week but usually it ends up being once a week unless she truely needs it. Since the dirty bits get cleaned every day, I tend to go by her hair.

RwnMayfair
06-08-2005, 01:14 AM
Tara gets a bath approximately three times a week. We sort of have a schedule, but sometimes it can also be dependent on him having gotten really grubby or messy recently. He does really like his baths though (to the point of wanting to climb in fully clothed - he has to actually be restrained from getting in until you can get all his clothes off), so I suspect he'd be willing to take them more often. So far he just hasn't really needed them more often though. He used to like to get into the shower with us, but now seems to have some fear of the way the water comes out of the shower. (I can't explain this.)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

lisams
06-08-2005, 01:25 AM
I did a lot of research and found that some derm. are saying that the skin soaks up the water (if it's lukewarm and for 15 minutes or less) and then if you apply a moisturizer immediately after it locks that moisture in. We rotate between a thin layer of aquaphor and eucerin cream (the stuff that comes in a tub), only on her face when needed. We only use soap on her about 2 times a week though (Cetaphil).

The 2-3 baths a week weren't helping with DD so we gave it a shot and to my surprise it actually helped her. We live in the desert so I think her skin really does need to literally soak up water every night (at least that's my theory ;-))

Go with what works though, I've heard many moms say that they had to limit baths because it helped with the eczema.

Lisa

jubilee
06-08-2005, 02:18 AM
Mostly, it is every other day- but I've skipped a time or two :) Since summer is supposed to be here soon, I guess I'll start bathing Logan every day after his outside playtime.

heatherlynn
06-08-2005, 06:02 AM
We do baths on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays. DD is in school and it helps to keep a routine. During the summer, we'll do more just because she gets filthy!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05

hez
06-08-2005, 06:36 AM
3 times a week-- Friday morning, Sunday morning, and anytime between Monday night and Thursday morning :)

KrisM
06-08-2005, 07:28 AM
He gets a bath 2-3 times a week or so. We bathe him before family events and other things like that, too. So far this summer, he's had a couple of "bonus" baths when he was just super dirty from the park and a wash cloth wipedown wasn't going to cut it. I can imagine that as he's outside more this summer, he'll get more frequent, short baths just to do a quick clean.

aa2mama
06-08-2005, 07:58 AM
DS usually gets a bath every weekday morning (5x wk). His allergist had recommended that he get a short lukewarm bath every day for the patches of eczema on his cheeks.

I work in the evenings and asked DH repeatedly to give Max a bath every night. But day after day they "just didn't have time", so he was getting maybe one bath a week. I decided to take over the baths in the morning. As soon as I get out of the shower, I fill up the EuroTub, plop Max in and wash him off. Then I let him splash and play while I do my hair and makeup. On weekends I don't usually give him a bath unless he really needs it.

caridura
06-08-2005, 08:01 AM
She is starting to get a bath more often now due to eating solids and getting all yucky. Depending on the need, I'd say every 3 days or so.

mharling
06-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Lane - Almost every night; every other bath is a 'get clean' one. The others are mostly play because he loves the tub so much.

Faye - When one of us says, 'Hmm, it's been a little while since she had a bath.' :)

When I was a kid, Saturday was bath night. That was usually it unless I was exceptionally dirty (like after cleaning the pig house). Where's the 'yucky' smiley????

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

cvharris
06-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Ben gets a bath every night - it's also part of his bedtime routine. We used to not wash his hair everytime, though, we would do it every other night. Lately, though, he has been sweaty during the day so now we wash his hair every night, too.

Carolee
Mama to Ben (6/03)
Expecting #2 in December!

murpheyblue
06-08-2005, 08:44 AM
It's part of our bedtime routine so DD is in the tub every night.

Moneypenny
06-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Until recently it was 2x week, but now that the summer weather is here it is more like every other day - mainly to wash off the sunblock. Also, her little head gets sweaty now and starts to smell a bit funky. I imagine when we get to the self-feeding stage she'll get bathed every day.

Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04

amp
06-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Whew! I always see ladies here talking about daily baths or every other day baths, but we've never done that! I'm vindicated by seeing the poll! We only bathe about 1-2x per week, unless more is required by mess.

Virginia Dad
06-08-2005, 09:07 AM
We usually give DD a bath every other day. If she had it her way, it would be every day. Sometimes we miss a day, sometimes she gets baths every day because she loves to play in dirt/mud/grass/sand. We try to keep it every other day because of the eczema, but may try to see what every day does for her as the PP said.

MarisaSF
06-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Susan--
Avery and Jasmine were born on the same day!! 8/5/04

heatherlynn
06-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Matthew was also born on 8/5!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05

Moneypenny
06-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Ahhh, that was a good day to have a baby, I think!
Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04

MarisaSF
06-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Heather and Susan--
We'll need to have a virtual online celebration for Avery, Matthew, and Jasmine on 8/5 then! Any other 8/5ers?
I can't believe it's less than 2 months away!

brittone2
06-08-2005, 11:34 AM
WHen DS was young...let's say 6 months and under it was probably 2-3x per week or so (as needed).

Around 8 months of age I started putting him on the floor of the shower with me when I shower, and this is what we still do. I shower pretty much every day, and so he gets clean with me. I don't use soap on him every day though. He gets pretty clean just splashing around in there. He'll also play happily for 15 mins in the water after I get out which gives me time to put on some makeup and do something to my hair.

So...he gets a "bath" very often but more out of convenience for me than because I believe he needs it, kwim? When he's in the shower with me I know where he is and he's happy to play in there.

g-mama
06-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Up until very recently, we'd been bathing both boys (together) every night. Lately, my 4yo ds has been protesting a bath so he's gotten on an every-other-night schedule. I'd probably be okay with less frequent bathing but dh is a total clean freak and since he's usually the one doing it, that's fine with me!

Benjamin has been having almost daily shampoos, though, because he is obsessed with putting food in his hair. Grrrr.....

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a third one coming in december '05!

redhookmom
06-08-2005, 01:58 PM
My Mom gave all of us a bath EVERYNIGHT. (I still take one alomst everynight before going to bed.)
So, I give my kids one everynight. I miss one here and there. Last night my kids were in the pool until bedtime so tried to skip the bath and my dd just about lost it. It is such a part of the routine that it is hard to skip.

jlcana
06-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Every other day except in summer where it's daily. Of course, if DS gets dirty on an no bath day he'll get one!

Lisa
Christopher 3/18/02
Andrew 9/28/04

dr mom
06-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Everyday, unless he's been swimming in the (non-chlorinated) wading pool in the yard - lazy mama that I am, I count that as a bath! He loves the water so much that bathtime has become a relaxing part of our bedtime routine. I only wash him with soap a couple of times a week, the rest of the baths are purely playtime.

MelissaTC
06-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Matthew gets a bath pretty much every night. He is usually filthy by the end of the day. He almost always needs one, especially since we have been going to the pool and letting him play out in the yard.

C99
06-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Nate gets a bath every other day. It used to be every day, but it was too drying for his skin. Rose gets a bath once/week.

ETA: Nate's is part of the routine. I only use soap on his hair. I find that soaking is all that is necessary to get clean most of the time.

heidis2girls
06-08-2005, 06:23 PM
In the winter my girls get a bath once a week usually, sometimes twice a week. Any more is just too drying for their skin. They get more baths in the summer when they are outside more to clean off the sunscreen.

heidis2girls
06-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Marisa, I had to laugh at your "they start to smell like hamsters" comment! :-)

I think it's great that the sitter bathes them. I let DH do the bathing, unless he's out of town or something.

Sorry about Sophie and the puppy pee...

lmintzer
06-08-2005, 07:21 PM
We are on an every-other-night schedule. We typically both are involved with baths and bathe the boys together. We probably need to move to every night with sunblock and sweat and all that good summer stuff, but they are such a handful in the bath. I literally could not safely bathe them alone. And the two of us are pretty exhausted by the end.

Marisa6826
06-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Seriously. They really DO start to smell like hamsters!

-m