PDA

View Full Version : Update on ILs...we hashed it out and made a smidge of progress

brittone2
06-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Update to the update...
I won't get into too many details as I've rattled on more than enough, but DH and I went over to the ILs last night. I basically immediately told FIL that he doesn't intimidate or scare me. I told him that I can't control his comments, but as a grown adult, I blatantly *refuse* to allow him or anyone else to speak to me in the way that he has. He agreed he is a highly critical person and that he's not sure that he can change that, etc. etc. I told him that's fine, but I ask for all of our sake that you work towards occasionally uttering a kind comment and work on holding back criticisms, and that if he continues to make criticisms, they may be asked to leave our home and if it is in their home, we will leave. He got teary-eyed several times, so I think much of what I said struck a chord inside of him in terms of how he parented my DH and how being so critical probably negatively influenced their relationship. DH has *never* seen his father get teary-eyed, so something definitely resonated with what I was saying I guess.

I explained there are reasons why we do what we do. He said he doesn't agree with much of what he does, and I assured him that it isn't a democracy, and he doesn't get a vote in how Logan is raised. I told him that we have the *right* to set our *own* boundaries, just as he did with his own children, and regardless of what he says/does, that is what we will do, and his comments aren't going to change that.

Essentially, he didn't try to bully me, and he and MIL were apologetic for the most part. I'm not naive, and I'm sure that there will be many many more comments as the years go by. It probably won't last long, but it felt so good to both Dh and I to put it all out there and give him some things to think about, and we've stated our boundaries at this point. I know that there is NO convincing this man that attachment parenting has benefits (I know not everyone here is very AP oriented, but it is what works for our family). I won't even try to convince him. But, he knows where we stand. He and MIL know that their constant commenting will not be tolerated.

We'll see what happens. THere was more to the story but this is the overall gist of the conversation. Interesting that he interacted completely differently with me than with DH. I think much of it relates to the fact that I don't have a parent/child relationship with this man and made it clear he will *NOT* step all over me. I won't allow him to do it.

On a funny/side note, when DH went by himself to talk on Thursday night they asked why I wasn't there...Dh said we thought it was better if he alone came, etc. etc. FIL said "you can't protect Beth from everything." DH didn't say it, but laughed to himself...ummmm....i'm protecting you guys from her LOL. I am generally pretty quiet and reserved around them...but when I open up and let it out...look out. I think it is shocking to them to hear someone say, "I won't allow you to treat me or our family this way." I'm glad they got their dose of it.

Thanks for all of the support. As of now they are not coming to NC as I don't think I'm ready for that at this point. But we are spending some time with them over the next few days before we leave. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for listening, making me laugh, and getting me through this at a difficult and stressful time in our lives. If I didn't have this place to vent and gain some perspective, I don't know what I'd do sometimes. :)

****Update****

Dh went over to the ILs tonight with Logan. DH told them we are going to continue parenting the way we parent, etc. etc. ILs said they can't change who they are, and are we really upset by a few comments they made?? DH explained yes, the comments are frequent, and never tempered with anything positive, which did actually make them pause.

Essentially they are unwilling to change who they are. They also pointed out to DH that we allow Logan to do things they don't agree with. Are you ready for this....seriously...sit down.....don't tell anyone we do this.....

Are you sitting down? Brace yourself....

Apparently one time DH held a green bean in his mouth (sticking out...not "in" his mouth) and allowed Logan to take it out and eat it. Yep, you heard it here first. I hang my head in shame. I don't recall the occasion, but apparently it was while we were prepping dinner or something once. Yep, call CPS, call the police. We are awful parents.

THey said that we are teaching Logan to "take food from other kids" and that we're asking for him to get sick. My child has been sick two times in 15 months mind you. Unacceptable I guess?

Ummm...I totally missed DH doing this . However, we both share our food from time to time with Logan by offering him a bite of what we are eating. Do most mamas and daddies here not do this? For those of you who do...do NOT tell my MIL and FIL apparently.

Yep, sign me up as a permanent resident of the WTF camp. I obviously belong there permanently as I can't even comprehend what the H#LL the issue is here. These people are out of their #%*@^$# minds.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

DH chatted with them and remained calm somehow. This was a big step for him as neither he nor his siblings has ever confronted his parents face to face because of how they were raised. He was very upset. but stayed calm and didn't get into much with them other than saying we do what we do, end of story. ILs say they can't change who they are. They DO want to talk things over with me, but at this point I have no idea what to do because if they air out grievances such as the "great green bean incident of 2005" in my presence I may completely burst into hysterical laughter. Mind you, they were totally serious about this being a *terrible* example of parenting. I'm not kidding. At this point, I think they do need to hear from me. I've been trying to stay out of it as I don't know if I can remain level-headed, but I am about to let it all fly with them. My poor DH and his siblings may have had the fear of G*d put into them growing up, but my ILs do not intimidate me in any way.

Okay, I thought I'd update you all on what an incompetent and horrendous mother and father DH and I are. I'm glad you all know now not to allow your children near me as I'm clearly awful and so is DH.

Please promise me you'll come visit me at the WTF camp because I don't think I have any hope of leaving at this point.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

This should probably go in the b*tching post but I need some advice and I figure more of you will see it here.

We've had problems with my ILs ever since DS was born 15 months ago. We got along fairly well before DS was born, but since his birth, it has been a bit rocky. It began with my MIL finding out we were using a midwife for maternity care...she bashed me to my own mother rather than coming to me with her concerns so I could answer things for her. WHen DS was born, we held him too much, he slept too much, he breathed weird, I mean...one thing after another. She told me at 10 days post partum it was good I had a running stroller so I could start jogging right away. (I lost my pg'cy weight very quickly BTW and MIL is NOT thin).

She again told many people behind our backs how DS was spoiled as we held him too much. It irritates her that I BF at all I think, let alone the fact Logan is still nursing (she never was supportive of it, and I never nurse in front of them because I know they are uncomfortable with it).

We practice attachment parenting, so DS spent much of his first year in a sling with daddy or with me. He's a content and happy little guy much of the time. She still doesn't know we cosleep, or that DS isn't circ'd, as both of these things would send her through the roof.

When DS was about 2 months old I basically wrote them a letter saying that we were not going to tolerate them talking to my mom behind our backs, and constantly criticizing everything we do. We explained our decisions are well-researched, well thought out, etc. and that we are comfortable with how things were going with DS. I basically said it is our job to parent him, your job to enjoy him...we are not going to defend every single decision we make, blah blah blah. FIL apologized, MIL never apologized. However, FIL then told me how he started smacking his sons' behinds at 6 weeks of age when they'd wiggle around on the changing table so they'd learn to "be still" and that his kids never begged for candy at the grocery store (yes, insert gigantic eye roll here!!!).

This is one reason why they will not babysit DS. They basically don't even know how to interact with him, let alone the fact that I don't trust he wouldn't be spanked, etc. Frankly, we don't really leave DS at all...because we don't feel a need to. My parents have watched DS for an hour here and there if I had a doctor appt. etc. but although I deeply trust them, I just don't feel the need to leave DS often.

Anyway, things got better briefly after letter number one but it has been steadily escalating again.

Essentially every time we get together in recent months they have to get several digs in. FIL was annoyed two weeks ago because DS kept pushing his toy cars on the coffee table and they'd fall off. DH was across the table and would put them back on the table. DS wasn't intentionally doing this...he has limited experience with little cars and trying to keep them on the coffee table. He wasn't throwing them. FIL made some comment about how we "save" DS all the time because DH picked up the car a few times for him (ummm...if FIL drops something in front of me, I'd pick it up, kwim?). They essentially criticize every single thing we do, without ever even attempting to temper their input with the occasional nice comment. MIL couldnt' stand that DS didn't wear shoes until he was walking....did I mention I WAS A PEDIATRIC PHYSICAL THERAPIST before DS was born??? Perhaps I might actually have a clue on the topic. I nicely explained it to her, but every single time we got together, there was a comment. Some of these comments (i'm not giving them all to you as you get the drift) are beyond the normal occasional IL complaint, kwim? It is really just awful.

DH is behind me 100% and he can't take it anymore either. We went through IF to conceive DS and they are aware of this, although not the details. On memorial day, we were having dinner and they start ranting about a local couple with sextuplets and basically how stupid they are for wanting more kids when they already had twins, and how they basically got what they asked for, etc. etc. Okay, perhaps in my pre infertility days I might have thought negatively of such situations, but obviously my personal experiences have changed the perspective. DH and I tried to explain how it is essentially a medical mistake, they didn't plan to have 6, yada yada. In any case, they were making very rude and insensitive remarks about it over dinner. I finally got up with DS and said "until you walk a mile in those shoes, perhaps you shouldn't be so judgemental" and walked out of the room. I realize they don't know a lot of the details about IF treatments, but most normal people if they thought they MIGHT say something offensive/hurtful would avoid such a topic in light of our history, kwim? THere was never any apology. Even if they didn't realize what they were saying at the time, it was pretty clear I was upset and I'm sure they are smart enough to figure out why. YOu'd think they might utter a half hearted apology to us at least for upsetting us, kwim?

So...I've been annoyed w/ them as of late to say the least. THey were planning on helping with our move, but they'd be staying with us for 4-5 days and I just can't take it. They'd freak because it would be obvious we cosleep, and they'd probably make enough comments about our parenting that i'd end up flipping out. We were debating telling them they can't come down (we've tried hinting nicely before this).

The icing on the cake is I was talking w/ a friend two days ago whose MIL is friends with my MIL and apparently my MIL has been bashing me for not "letting" her babysit DS (some of her friends babysit grandkids so their moms can go to NYC for several days to get haircuts, manicures, etc...if I did this, I'd be a good mom in MILs book), basically it is my fault we are moving (yes, DH is returning to school for his PhD...clearly my fault), on and on. It was all focused on ME. So...my friend was defending DH and I to her own MIL, and mentioned all of this to me unsolicited. I hadn't even brought the topic up. So now I'm fuming as I'm the topic of her little breakfast get togethers with her "women's club" friends.

Obviously I'm furious. DH is furious. It is terrible timing as we are leaving in a week and a half and moving from PA to NC. My goal isn't to cut them off from DS...I've told DH he has to take Logan over once or twice more to see them before we go. I can totally understand it is hard on them seeing us move and not seeing their grandson as much. I feel for them. I do want them to see him again, but DH and I haven't spoken with them other than a single email basically saying we were upset (this was prior to finding out about more talk behind my back the other day). I'm fuming. He doesn't feel like speaking to them but wants to make sure they get to see Logan again before we leave.

Uggggh. I wish I could brush it off, but I just can't. It isn't the occasional comment here or there. It is to the point that both DH and I feel like we can't even talk or tell a story about Logan as they'll find fault with SOMETHING in our story, kwim? It doesn't make visits enjoyable. I know they will never grasp attachment parenting, and I don't expect them to. I've tried explaining briefly, I sent links when Logan was 2 months old about how you can't spoil a baby, etc. but I don't want to get into a cycle of defending myself to them. I just won't defend every single parenting choice to them.

Sorry so long, it has just been quite a saga. It is painful for all of us. I just feel like these people are so incredibly insensitive and hurtful to all of us. It can't continue like this.

DH and I have been debating writing them another letter (my ILs are so so so so not the sit-down-and-talk-about-it types at all...that's how my family works, but it just isn't something they do) but we're too upset still to get anything out without it sounding nasty. He may go over there tomorrow but doesn't even want to speak with them really...he just wants them to get to see Logan.

How do we handle this? I just dont need the stress with a move 10 days away but their insensitivity and negativity are just too much.

amp
06-08-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm sorry to admit that I couldn't even read your entire post word for word because it sounds like the book of my life w/ my IL's. I just wanted to say that I can totally commiserate with having your MIL bash you to other people, including your own family. Mine does the same. And they have to get their digs in every chance they get. Gosh I hate those people. harsh, huh? But true. Anyway, no advice, but many hugs about this!

Mommy_Again
06-08-2005, 12:47 PM
girlie, count your lucky stars you are moving away from those coco-puffs! You need to focus on your move, making sure Logan transitions well, and just taking care of your immediate family. Have DH bring Logan by to say goodbye (just suck it up for that one). Then, once you are in NC, e-mail pictures often. When Logan gets old enough to talk, let him call them. But you certainly are not obligated to listen to their craziness. If one of them starts in on you, cut them off and say "sorry to interupt, but something's come off and I have to run." Instruct your mom, your's friends mom, etc to say, when your ILs start trash-talking you: "I'm not comfortable dicussing this, it's really not my business. Let's talk about something else." Get your mom's friend to help spread that request to the others in their circle.

You can't control them. You can only control you, and how you react. You are obviously comfortable in your parenting choices, so just keep remembering that you are doing a great job and their opinion really has no bearing on anything.

Sorry you have to go through this!

kensjen
06-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Oh Beth, reading your post really gets to me, I can totally understand. Sounds very familiar, as my in-laws are just as rude and as crazy as yours. I wish I had some magical advice for you, heck...and for myself! LOL The best thing I have learned to do is ignore it. And when it gets too bad, to stay away. Even though they are family, you do not HAVE to put up with that kind of stuff all the time. Sometimes you just have to say, screw it! I am going to be happy for once, and choose your own sanity over family obligation and hurt feelings.

I know that my in laws talk about me behind my back and hate all of MY parenting choices (of course they are mine, their dear son would never do anything so crazy. WTH?). But I don't care. I used to. I used to think we all had to be this happy family and be together on important days. I used to want for Jonah what I have...a wonderful relationship with my grandparents. But they have ruined it. We visit so rarely now because when we do, it is such an ordeal. I was tired of dreading holidays, because we had to see them, KWIM? DH and I have made the decision to see them once or twice a year, when we feel like we HAVE to. I feel that it is important for us to have some contact and for them to see Jonah. They haven't done anything so terrible that we should totally cut them out of our lives. But they have made us realize that life is too short to be miserable. We aren't happy with them, so we don't spend a lot of time with them. Their choice, and their loss. We are so happy spending Thanksgiving alone or with my family. We are at peace with the situation. They are the angry ones and unhappy ones. They have made their bed....

Anyway, I guess what I am saying is....make the choice for you. If you don't want to deal with them during the move, etc...then don't. You will be happier I bet, and they will get over it. Or if they don't...not your problem. Living away from them may be the best thing for you guys. You can't change them, but you can change the way you react. I've started the killing them with kindness thing...and what do you know?? It works!! And I feel so much better about myself that I am the sweet DIL sending photos, keeping in touch. And I have stopped bi*ching about them, and I feel healthier. I swear, all of that anger and negativity is hard on the body. ;)

Good luck with everything. I totally feel your pain.

hcsl
06-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Beth,
That REALLY stinks. I know what a hard position it puts your dh in. I had issues with my ILs, but nothing like this. It sounds like you've been very direct with them and clear about your feelings towards your parenting choices. They are completely in a different book- not just "not on the same page" as you. If it were me, I would just let it go. I would not initiate contact with them and when you did have to interact with them I would be terse and offer no conversation. I prefer to not deal with people's bs so I'm pretty good at closing doors. You don't need to permanently shut them out, of course, but until they get the message that you're serious about not wanting their comments and opinions about how everything you're doing with YOUR son is wrong.
I don't know- this is tough. If you really need their help moving, maybe you should force them to have a sit down. If they hear it form you two maybe they will realize how much they are upsetting you. A picture is worth a thousand words, and seeing the pain and frustration on your faces might really let them know that they have crossed several lines.
On the other hand, you could tell them on the phone that you have had it with their behavior and you're going to not talk to them until they lay off because it is making you crazy. That might also let them know you're serious.
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this at all, much less while trying to make a big move.

Good luck!!

psophia17
06-08-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm with the PPs - suck it up for a goodbye visit (maybe 2, if you're up to it), and count your lucky stars that you're moving away.

My mother is critical of everything I've ever done except how I make choices about parenthood, while my MIL is only critical of everything I've done as a parent...if both attitudes were combined in one person, I'd flip out. It worked for me to move 3000 miles from my Mom, and to have a sit-down with MIL about how if I feel strongly about something, she has to go with what I want - it's my kid, after all.

Hopefully, you will be surprised that a little distance makes the barbs easier to ignore...

Good luck :)

tigalig
06-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Beth, I'm sorry that you are experiencing such stress at such a time in your life. A move can be stressful with everyone happy and supportive; this you do not need. Part of me wants to suggest that you have them over and let them freak out at your every choice to get the point across that this is YOUR life. But you're beyond that and it would inevitably stress you out too so that's not good. Perhaps you can just say that you don't need them to come over for the extended period before your move and leave it at that. It sounds like you can't do anything right regardless of what you do, so let them see Logan, and get out of town!

I would ignore the gossip. There is simply nothing you can do about it. If she wants to shout all of her ridiculous views and criticisms from her rooftop, you cannot stop her. Anyone who listens to and believes that stuff ought to know better. It took me a long while to realize that I cannot write the script for people and if they want to fill their mouths (and ears) with trash, then so be it - out of my way, please.

It's sad, but I think in my experience, it's clearly the grandparents who miss out and they don't realize it because they're too busy blaming the DIL or son or whatever else to see clearly. Just keep your eyes on the destination (MIL free) - do you have a picture you can carry with you during the next ten days to remind you what a haven your next home will be like? Seriously, sometimes it just takes a little motivation to get through the most stressful of moments. I like to count hours (i.e., "just 36 more hours before I can speak my mind again,") but I think a photo might be better in this case.

saschalicks
06-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Beth,
I am so sorry you are going through this. It is terrible. I have IL issues too. Here's what I do and maybe it will help you. It really has worked for me. I don't pick up the phone at home. We have caller ID and if it's somone I want to talk to I pick up. Otherwise, DH has to pick-up to talk to his parents. It really helps me. I don't go to their house very much. DH has taken Jonah there many times w/out me. I had errands to run, not feeling well etc. I have not seen them in months and they will be at Jonah's b-day party in a couple of weeks and I will be cordial but say little to them. If they do something I don't like I try to get DH stand up for me. I learned my lesson in saying something myself. These are things that DH has to explain to them. I think your letter writing is a great idea and I think it will help cleanse you, but in the end the only way to really help yourself is to step back from them altogether. They will not change, but you can in your approach in handling the situation. My MIL made a dig to DH the other day about me and when he told me I just laughed and said how pathetic she is. I am finally able to do that b/c I've really removed myself from contact with her.

As for her talking behind your back. You'll never be able to stop it, but you can ask those who are uncomfortable w/it such as your mother to say that they'd prefer a different subject like PP suggested.

I am so so so sorry you have this in your life. No one should question another person's parenting unless a child is harmed. Sounds to me like Logan is a wonderful little boy and they should enjoy that. You now have to consider saving yourself. You would never keep them from seeing their grandson, but they do not have to have a relationship with you. HTH

MartiesMom2B
06-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Oh Beth, I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. I would get your husband to lay down the law. It doesn't sound like they would listen to you anyway. As a fellow NCer with an out of town MIL, the problem with living far away is that they visit and STAY with you. MIL didn't like that we co-slept when M was a baby. She would send me columns from Ann Landers about babies who died from their parents suffocating them. I think that you and your husband need to figure out the ground rules, if you haven't already, and present them to your ILs.

-Sonia
Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

amp
06-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Candace - I'd be really curious how the heck you manage to stay away and let your son go there? Seriously, because that has occured to me, but the really crappy selfish part of me won't allow them to get the pleasure of seeing my son without me. That would feel like they've won. See, I even think of it as a battle or a war. Isn't that sick? So I'm seriously interested in how you were able to allow yourself to do that, or if it just wasn't an issue for you.

aliceinwonderland
06-08-2005, 03:32 PM
My inlaws are much much better, I must say, but I would love to be a fly-in-the wall for SIL/MIL conversations that involve us (SIL has a son 2 months older than mine, and everything we do is just about opposite. You get the picture). Anyway, the ILs are actually either silent or supportive of our choices, even the ones they disagree with/don't understand. More importantly, even when they say stupid things, I now brush it off, because I KNOW their intentions are benign.

The question you should ask yourselves (I mean you and your DH) is how much do you see these people and how much do you want them involved in you son's life? Because if the answer to these questions is "very little", then there's not much you can do about the behind-the-back talking, other than your DH making it clear to his mother that in fact word does get around and that you are hurt by the comments. If you want DS to spend more time with them, I would pick a larger battle. But it does not sound like you do, and you are perfectly justified the way they are behaving, so you may want to draw some connections for your MIL between her behaviour and the result that she dislikes (spending less time with grandson).
But don't listen to me, I'm nuts. I'm *considering* moving the family East to Midwest to be close to the ILs...Ask me in 3 yrs or so ;)

e.

geochick
06-08-2005, 03:36 PM
I really feel for you. I remember when you and I were pregnant at the same time, shopping for strollers, and finally choosing the Zippy. My ds is one month older than yours. Hang in there!

I noticed that you said you have written to your ILs a lot. I think it's time to nip the nagging in the butt in person EVERY time it happens - tell them exactly what you don't like about what they are saying. You can be very polite about it. Remind them that you have done a lot of research and are a very capable parent - things have changed since they were parents. Don't worry about offending them, they already know there are issues in your relationship. You need to "train" them as to what is acceptable in your relationship. My MIL is a lot like your ILs and I think it's just her nature. I don't think she thinks before she opens her mouth. That's why I decided to start "nagging" right back (I'm normally very reserved) every time she opens her mouth to say something about what my kid is wearing, the fact that he doesn't wear shoes, nursing more than a year, etc. I see it as training. I still don't "invite" my ILs to babysit and they notice that, but I just keep telling them that my ds and I aren't ready yet. So, I guess my advice to you is, what do you have to lose by having a polite, adult conversation with them EACH AND EVERY time they nip and nag? It's the only way they'll learn.

About your moving away...Do you really want to raise your ds around them? You know that they will gossip about you when they are alone with him. You don't want him to feel caught in the middle. Airfare is cheap. You shouldn't feel guilty AT ALL about getting your son away from that negative effect. Invite his grandparents to visit often so that they know they are welcome in your lives, but make sure that you don't accept ANY negative comments about your style of parenting in your own home. You can't control what they say out of your home, but in your home and around your kid, their current behavior is totally unacceptable. Tell them to their faces and hang in there.

brittone2
06-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks everyone. Yes, my mother immediately told MIL to talk with us about it as she didn't want to be in the middle and told MIL as much, so MIL knows not to run to her anymore after the big initial battle when DS was 2 months. I've also explained to MIL that I realize part of this is that my parents have gone through my brothers getting married and having kids already...so they have certainly learned a lot from their past experiences. DH's brother and sister are both still single, and Logan is the first grandchild. But their comments go beyond annoying, they are downright hurtful.

The thing is, we basically did lay down some ground rules and while they worked for a period of time, things have progressively escalated again to the point that there are comments made at every single visit. These go beyond the typical IL comments IMHO too. My ILs and DH/I see life completely differently. I know that no amount of discussion will ever convince them to understand what we do. I mean, my MIL gets annoyed about things like the fact that we eat organic. I don't make a big issue out of it, I don't *ban* her non organic foods from DS, kwim? But if she sees something organic at our house, she'll tell me "well I fed my kids regular food and they are just fine." If she gets offended about organic food (and the fact that I made DS's food also bothered her)...you know you can't win.

DH spoke very briefly with MIL today and was very curt with her. We need a key to my BIL's house (BIL not currently in it) to drop some things off there and we need to get they key from them. He told her he and Logan would be over and I'm sure she picked up on the general unhappiness from him. I guess he's going to briefly speak with them about it tomorrow. I have no desire to see them.

Sonia-you are totally right about the problem being that they'll want to come STAY with us once we move. That would put me over the edge. I can behave cordially and ignore their comments for a 3 hour visit, but days on end...eeeeek.

I definitely feel for DH. No one wants to be in this position with their parents. Even if you know they are wrong, it still hurts to have a bad relationship with your parents.

One of my brothers has a drug addiction and several other major problems, and has chosen to basically cut my parents and my other siblings (including me) out of his life and my nieces' lives, and it has been so painful for all of us. It is so undeserved (my brother is truly horrible....long story). I can't even send birthday cards...they return them to me. It is heartbreaking. But, it makes me realize that I don't want to "punish" my ILs by restricting them from seeing DS. That said, I wouldn't trust them alone with DS as FIL and I are about polar opposites on the discipline spectrum. I would NEVER allow DS to stay with them without DH or I present.

I did briefly entertain the idea of just having them come down and doing what we do without regard to their presence. For example, BFing DS where I would if they weren't there, making it obvious we cosleep, etc. etc. If they didn't like it, they would be welcome to leave. However, after finding out about MIL's discussions behind my back, I can't even stomach the thought of that. We'll be okay without their help with the move. Even if it is more physical work for DH and I (my parents are helping us too), I know I'll be far far less stressed overall.

Thanks for giving me lots of shoulders to cry on here. You girls always make me feel better. I'm sorry my post was so very whiney and long, it is just a stressful time and I'm having trouble handling this in conjunction with the logistics of an interstate move with a 15 month old.

Thanks for listening. Thanks for your excellent advice as always. Thanks for giving me some suggstions and things to think about. It is most appreciated.

Melanie
06-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Wow...speechless, though some of it sounds familiar...

I say, take him over once or twice more. Nicely decline any moving help, then MOVE FAST! Send the letter after you move, if you like. You don't need them inserting any new drama into your move right now.

tarahsolazy
06-09-2005, 11:49 PM
OK, they are completely and totally NUTS!!! Or, maybe I'm just a bad mama too, since I share food with my DS, I take a bite, feed him a bite of cottage cheese, etc. Oh the horror! I think after you move, you just need some distance. I'd have a hard time maintaining my composure in any kind of civil discussion about these things. They don't have to agree with you, but can't they at least shut up to preserve some civility when you are together. Don't they see that alienating you and your DH just limits their exposure to Logan? I wouldn't be around people that criticized my parenting constantly, and neither should you. I do get some odd comments and questions from my extended family members about toddler nursing, and my MIL always asks if Fory is still nursing, but that really isn't a big deal, since I know she's pro-BF, just curious. I know some of my family and DH's don't agree with some of our decisions, cosleeping, extended BF, DH being a SAHD instead of a surgeon, but they don't bring it up all the time!

tigalig
06-09-2005, 11:50 PM
I think we should have a moving party where the guests of honor are your ILs and we can all have a great ol' time shockin' them. Seriously, Beth, I know this is so hard on you. Please, please try to put it out of your mind. If they're going to be so petty, then it's completely their loss! BIG hugs to you.

bluej
06-10-2005, 05:54 AM
Wow, I don't know what to say! They would absolutely be horrified by this household. We share our food with Ryden all of the time. It's the best way to get him to eat a new food. Put a new food on his plate, he's hesitant about it. Put it on our plate and he's wanting to try it.

Well I would have a 'chat' with them and explain that this may be the way they are and they can't (or aren't willing to change that), but you've been holding back on the way you are and now that you know it's acceptable to be the way you are, no matter how obnoxious it is, you will no longer be holding back and you expect understanding from them that this is just the way you are. And then let them really have it.

steph2003
06-10-2005, 06:43 AM
Ok, I'm calling DSS on you as soon as I pick myself up off the floor from laughing! who doesn't share food with their kids??? oh my, they really are off their rockers.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with that! I don't even have any advice to offer. It is almost like when people are that far gone you can't reason with them.

good luck with your move & hopefully being a few states away will be a nice buffer zone.

Sillygirl
06-10-2005, 07:00 AM
I think, if I were in your position, I'd want to have a chat with the ILs, too. "Look, Logan's healthy and happy, so obviously we're not doing too bad a job. We want you to be involved in his life, but if we're fighting all the time, you're not going to see him as much as you'd like. So cool it."

What weirdos.

Calmegja2
06-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Yep.

And I have to say, if that's all they've got on you to make you bad parents.....then good job, you guys!!!

brittone2
06-10-2005, 07:37 AM
removed post and put it at a different location. Somehow it ended up in a weird place.

brittone2
06-10-2005, 08:09 AM
edited to insert post here that I misplaced earlier....

Yep, they are off their rockers. I couldn't sleep last night as my blood was just boiling. At this point, I need to accept that they are so far gone, they will NEVER be happy. I'm going to tell them as much...I have no desire to try and "please" them.
WHen you get criticized for things like making your own baby food and sharing the occasional bite with DS (and they are 100% serious about this)...you absolutely cannot reason with people. It simply can't be done.
I am sooooo hoping we get together w/ them tonight as I'm about ready to fly into them verbally. I can't hold it in anymore. I'll be sure to point out that I'm not concerned with Logan getting sick as since I'm planning to BF until he self weans, he'll have lots of my antibodies to combat all the germs I apparently give him by sharing food

Beth, mama to Logan

elliput
06-10-2005, 08:11 AM
I would think you are teaching your DC about sharing and trust with the "green bean incident". I'll take that spot next to you in the WTF camp, if you don't mind.

zuzu
06-10-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm going to sign up for a long session at the WTF camp. I am still laughing about the "great green bean incident of 2005." Some inlaws (mine included) must to crazy-person school to come up with these comments! Sorry you're on the receiving end of this maddness.

Deep breaths. And chocolate, or whatever else you need.
Thank goodness you'll be moving soon! :)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

aliceinwonderland
06-10-2005, 09:50 AM
You can't argue about some things...They'll never get it...It's like I was talking to my mom last night, she thinks adoption in our case (perfectly able to have bio babies) is absurd. I tell her in my head, it's absurd *not* to adopt and go on procreating knowing what I know... Then I say, I can't and should not have to explain myself to you, as we are so far off on this you'll never get it, so drop the issue entirely. We go on talking about Erik and everyone is happy.

You SHOULD NOT have to explain yourself to these nutheads...And since they make no effort to "change" or recognize what excellent parents you guys are, clearly neither you or DS need this stress in your lives, so make clear you will be distancing yourself for self-preservation reasons.

Sorry you're dealing with this :(
e.

psophia17
06-10-2005, 09:53 AM
I can't even type I'm laughing so hard :P

"The Great Green Bean Incident of 2005" - that's just too much

ETA: I suspect that the WTF camp is way more fun than the Stick Up Their Butts Camp your ILs think worked for them...

trentsmom
06-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Ok - them being upset about the "green bean incident" just floors me. They would really freak out if they saw how my DH shares food with DS. DH bites off a piece and then hands it to DS.

And I don't even have enough words for the rest of the stuff your ILs say and do. Well, actually I do, but I would be here the rest of the day telling them how wrong they are - in detail!

Good luck with the move. And when the ILs decide to come and visit, invite them to stay at a hotel since your parenting decisions upset them so much!

brittone2
06-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Petra...I absolutely love your last comment :) Can I hug you for making me laugh this morning?

deborah_r
06-10-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm just catching up on your whole post and updates right now. I can honestly say I would just cut them off, period. I could not tolerate having such negative presences in my life. Not saying this is what YOU should do, but it is what I would do, and have done. Wait until Logan is older and really understands all these little digs they make. It will be very confusing for him. Even now all this talk in front of him of how he shouldn't drop his cars or whatever else little things may make him feel like there is something wrong with him.

How did your DH turn out so good? I am amazed!

ribbit1019
06-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Oh Beth! I understand! I too am a resident at the WTF camp.
My IL's are nuts too, not in the way that yours are but they are still crazy. Probably the opposite of yours, smoking around DD and not keeping there house up, believe in spanking etc. (It is so funny all the stuff she picks up off there floor, but not funny when she tries to put it in her mouth.)
They think I'm nuts for the whole sling/BF/Waterbirth/cloth dipe etc thing. When our nephew was born MIL talked about him being circ'd for two weeks because she knows that I am against it. (DH's cousin went so far as to say that "Thank God" I had a girl because of this too, lol.)
Some people are so clueless, just thank your lucky stars that contact with them will get to be minimal shortly. That way you can share what parts of your life (via email?) with them that you and DH want and be done with it.
And for christmas, send them a box full of green beans. :P

Christy
Maddy aka "Little Miss Squirmy Monster"

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

brittone2
06-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Well, sparks will be flying tonight I suspect. They mentioned to DH last night that they'd like to sit down with me as well. I know there is absolutely NO convincing them about how we parent. We are just polar opposites in parenting and no amount of explanation will change that.

However, my blood is still boiling and I feel like I absolutely need to get some things out for my own mental sanity.

DH called my MIL a little while ago and they will be home tonight so my parents are watching Logan so we can have a little chat. It is going to be hard for me to keep my cool.

DH and I were discussing the green bean incident a while ago on the phone and he explained what happened was that he bit the bean in half before giving it to Logan. It wasn't like he let Logan grab it out of his mouth, etc. Apparently this is poor parenting.

I cannot wait for tonight. I honestly don't even care what happens, I just need to purge myself emotionally and they are going to be on the receiving end. Thanks for the support and the laughs, everyone.

deborah_r
06-10-2005, 10:37 AM
"Well I would have a 'chat' with them and explain that this may be the way they are and they can't (or aren't willing to change that), but you've been holding back on the way you are and now that you know it's acceptable to be the way you are, no matter how obnoxious it is, you will no longer be holding back and you expect understanding from them that this is just the way you are. And then let them really have it."

Oooooohhhh, I like this! And you can start off with "Oh, BTW, Logan is not circ'd, and we co-sleep. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

brittone2
06-10-2005, 10:40 AM
>How did your DH turn out so good? I am amazed!

I ask myself this each and every day. I'm so thankful he is who he is.

murpheyblue
06-10-2005, 10:50 AM
ROTFLOL! ITA!

saschalicks
06-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Beth,
They are seriously ill people. I have ILs who are ill as well so I feel you. I say let 'em have it. Please keep us posted b/c this saga is just too good to pass up. They are so unreasonable it's not funny. OK you share food. SSSHHH don't tell them but we let the dog lick Jonah's hands and mouth. AAAAAHHHHHHH!!! Call CPS on us quick we're horrible horrible parents.

THEY NEED TO GET A GRIP or they are going to have very little contact w/Logan and who loses out most there? THEM!!!

saschalicks
06-10-2005, 11:33 AM
OOOHHH How I wish I could be there. WTF cam for ILs summer '05 session is beginning...

miki
06-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Tell your ILs that there are bad, bad, terrible, awful parents out there who will take a bite of something, say an apple, and give the small piece just bitten off to their kids. (I'm not saying if I do this in case child welfare is reading. :P )

Crazy ILs will come visit. But they don't have to stay at your house. If it's going to make your visit awful and strain your relationship, there are such things as hotels. Or they can do what my crazy ILs did--buy their vacation home near you so they have somewhere besides your home to stay.

I think it's perfectly fine to have minimal or no contact with them if that's what's best for your family. But it's possible they could surprise you. My mom thinks all sorts of things I do are weird. Like the organic food thing. She thought that was totally weird and gave me the equivalent of a "whatever!" but somehow she is now insisting that SIL buy organic milk for my niece.

Good luck with your move. I think you are just in time for the summer heat and humidity and the myriad of bugs!

jd11365
06-10-2005, 11:46 AM
I have two words for you... BUH BYE!

Here's two more... HELLOOOOOOO North Carolina! (Maybe that's 3, but you get the point. ;))

This will all be a distant memory in a few weeks when you are in your new home...many miles away. I literally get acid reflux anytime any of the inlaws metions the thought of moving to my state. These are the same people who told me I could transfer cancer through breastmilk. Um, 1. I don't have cancer and 2. Stop being such uneducated morons!

Aaah, but I digress...

Good luck with the move!

starrynight
06-10-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm going to mommy hell then, I share food with my kids' all the time. Cups, off my plate whatever and the baby will sometimes try and take food right off your fork as you are about to eat it LOL. They do *not* do this to anyone else, they know to only share with mommy or daddy so that teaching them to take food from others is silly.

I have lovely inlaws too *insert eye rolling smilie here*. They don't agree with a very large portion of my parenting decisions and I have since told them to shove it. :)

brittone2
06-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Yeah, little do they know the doggie and Logan occasionally end up sharing a treat :P Hehehe. Logan takes a bite and then gives the rest to Dakota, but sometimes changes his mind before I can stop him and then decides to take a big bite out of it.

Yep, not my ideal, but so is life with a kiddo and I'm not about to make myself nuts over it.

brittone2
06-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Heeheee...it may be the next reality tv show...so stay tuned :P It might be at the top of the Nielsen ratings....I can assure you it will make for interesting programming.

brittone2
06-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Mine will officially be told to shove it tonight I suspect. :)

pritchettzoo
06-10-2005, 12:23 PM
FREAKS!

My DD and the dog share snacks all the time. Last week she was feeding her applesauce. One bite for Zoe, one bite for me...

And having been through countless IL sit-down chats, I would say really don't waste your breath. Neither of you are going to change so I wouldn't even go down that road. If they can't respect your choices and keep their mouths shut, then they're making the choice to exempt themselves from your lives. Same would go for you, but I doubt you sit there at their house making snotty comments. (If you did, then you'd have to STFU too. ;))

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

brittone2
06-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Anna...you always make me laugh!!! Yes, if I sat at their house making snarky snotty comments they'd have every right to tell me to STFU ;)

Yeah, I know going over there is going to get me NOwhere...but I think I need the emotional purge, kwim? Then I get it all out, and after that, I could care less what they say. I want to make it clear to them that if they don't think they should have to change who they are, that's perfectly fine. I don't have to change who I am either. But I don't have to tolerate their comments and sit by while they constantly make snarky comments. I'm an adult and can choose to leave. I don't have to put up with it.

Anyway, Anna...as always, thanks for the laugh. I'm glad to know Logan is in good company with Gracie on the food sharing, LOL :)

wagner36
06-10-2005, 12:56 PM
]These are the same people who told me I could
>transfer cancer through breastmilk. Um, 1. I don't have
>cancer and 2. Stop being such uneducated morons!

Oh. My. God. Are you serious? I would never be able to keep a straight face through that conversation. How unbelievably dumb!!!

mudder17
06-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Wow, I've kept quiet until now, mostly because I LOVE my in-laws and miss my MIL who passed away the day she found out we were pregnant. :( I just can't fathom people who would think the Great Green Bean incident makes you poor parents. I think it's just that they totally disagree with a lot of what you do, but they don't have a very good reason, so they just pick something that seems "wrong" to them somehow. They would pass out if they came out our house where I bite pieces of food with my own mouth and then give the pieces to Kaya (when I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like cutting it). Kaya thinks it's great fun and it's definitely a way to teach her that we enjoy our food. The story of your in-laws just seems like something you see on reality television that you just can't believe. You keep saying to yourself, "This must be staged, no one can be that clueless!"

I will definitely be staying tuned as I've been following this story with interest. I feel doubly blessed to have wonderful in-laws and parents who support what we do, or at least don't directly interfere with any of our choices. Of course, they live on the opposite coast as we do, but still, they're very supportive. Sending you lots of "calming" vibes tonight as I don't think they will understand no matter what you do!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

brittone2
06-10-2005, 01:06 PM
maybe your inlaws and mine are related LOL. That's just bad. And dumb ;)

californiagirl
06-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Could you ask them to clear something up for me? Clearly, when DH bites grapes in half for DD to keep them from being choking hazards, that is Bad. But when he holds a bite of toast between his teeth and she takes it away, wipes it on her (newly sunscreened) face, and shoves it back into his mouth, is he a bad father or is she a bad baby?

One of my colleagues is convinced that DD gets ear infections because we let her eat cheerios that have fallen on the floor. Perhaps he and your in-laws can form a club.

Wife_and_mommy
06-10-2005, 02:25 PM
OH. I had to comment!!

My grandmother called today to congratulate us on the pregnancy. She asked if O was still nursing. I said,"No, not really. She's about done." She nursed yesterday and day before but hadn't for about 3 weeks so I think she's almost weaned. Anyway, she says, "Oh my gosh. She shouldn't nurse. "THAT" milk is *very* bad for her if she drinks it. It'll be rotten." HUHHHHHHHHHHHH?????????? This info was from her grandma who was a midwife. God help whoever she educated on nursing so many years ago. :P

Thanks for letting me share. I found it hilarious but very strange.... I don't even try anymore to educate my family on BF. It's a losing proposition and I'd rather use that energy on anything else.

Beth, I'm glad you'll be far away soon and that tonight goes reasonably well. I hope after purging yourself of all the anxiety they've caused you can let it go. I've found it best to ignore ignoramus comments from the uneducated. They have no interest in learning and just feel threatened that you would do *anything* differently than they did it. I'm determined not to discuss our use of a midwife/birth center with *anyone* this pregnancy. My thought towards those people is if they want to know something, they can research it for themselves like I did!

Will be thinking about you! :)

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://lilypie.com/days/060228/3/21/1/-5/.png

psophia17
06-10-2005, 02:35 PM
>Could you ask them to clear something up for me? ...But when he holds a bite of
>toast between his teeth and she takes it away, wipes it on her
>(newly sunscreened) face, and shoves it back into his mouth,
>is he a bad father or is she a bad baby?

I'm going to pee my pants if I keep reading these posts - too, too funny...

psophia17
06-10-2005, 02:36 PM
I consider myself hugged :)

aliceinwonderland
06-10-2005, 03:04 PM
You're just all BAD!! Bad baby, worse father, just BAD all around!!!

LOL!
e.

KBecks
06-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Writing a letter, etc. is just futile. Ignore them. Let them b*tch all they want. If you KNOW you are good parents, revel in it.

If they get negative while you are there, leave.

Get a hotel room when you visit, so you always have someplace to escape to.

When they complain, get a pat response like, he's my son and I think he's doing great, etc. etc.

What will be important is as he grows older, to balance their negative comments without you bashing his grandparents. But don't let them bash you in front of your child. Lay that ground rule now, and be ready to pick up and leave if they break it.

If they visit you, get them a hotel room and be firm about telling them to leave your home if they get ugly. Set your boundaries and stick to them. Tell them why you are leaving, asking them to leave, etc. but be calm about it.

As for them gossiping to others, there's nothing you can do, and really it reflects on them for being the gossipers.

Take care,

KBecks
06-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Also, realize that you can't control all comments, etc. etc. I have a wonderful relationship with my IL's etc, but grandpa does say Alek is spoiled, etc. occasionally.

I don't like it, but I ignore it, or say he's not spoilled. Not a big deal. I think it has to do with generational differences in raising kids.

Sillygirl
06-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Beth, I think you handled things beautifully. Isn't it amazing how bullies back down when confronted directly? Won't it be fantastic when you teach that lesson to Logan later on?

Well done and I'm glad it worked out as well as it did.

MartiesMom2B
06-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Good for you!! It's great that you are setting the boundaries now!

-Sonia
Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie