PDA

View Full Version : Is this how talking starts?

Moneypenny
06-09-2005, 09:53 AM
A couple of months ago while I was nursing DD, she pulled off, looked up at me, and said "gak" and looked very proud of herself. Right before every nursing session I say "milk" and do the sign, so I thought she was trying to say "milk". She's done it a few more times since then (not the sign, though). The last week or so, she's saying "gak" when she sees me, or DH, or the dog. We're all "gak". Gak, gak, gak. She babbles lots of other sounds during the day, but this seems to be a deliberate attempt to say a word. Is this how it starts - the same word for everything?

She's 10 months and has absolutely no interest in being mobile, so it's possible that I'm just looking for a milestone where there is none. Please tell me the truth, I can take it, ;). Thanks!

Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04

ribbit1019
06-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Well she is forming language which is really good!! DD's repetitve word was "Diggle" she still says it every now and then, and she would say it a lot when she would be playing. That word makes me laugh. :)
Maybe "gak" is her word for Mom?

DD says "Mamama" every time she sees me or wants milk. But it is Mama Milk or Mommy Milk around our house so that is why I am sure.

It took DD a while to catch on to signing, she is just now starting to get it.

Christy
DD- Maddy 06/09/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050609/1/0/0/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

MarisaSF
06-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Avery and Jasmine are the exact same age, so it is fun to see them going through similar stages together!
I think it is the beginning of talking. They are starting to realize that objects have names associated with them.
For Jasmine, everything else is "ba" -- at first we thought she was saying "Ball," but she says "ba" for everything!
It's cool to see their little minds working. Jasmine will turn her head at the sound of her name, but I'm not convinced it's not just because of the tone in which we say it.

Moneypenny
06-09-2005, 10:47 AM
>Jasmine will turn her head at the sound of her name, but I'm not convinced it's
>not just because of the tone in which we say it.

Yes, Avery does this, too! Sometimes I'll say "Drool-Monster" or "Stinky-bottom" in my "mommy's calling you" voice and she turns her head, so I think it may be a while before she realizes she has a name. Such fun!

Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04

Moneypenny
06-09-2005, 10:50 AM
>DD's repetitve word was "Diggle" she still says it every now and then, and she would say it a lot when she would be playing.
>That word makes me laugh. :)

It makes me laugh, too! It's such a hoot to watch her playing with her toys carrying on an obvious conversation with no real words. She usually babbles, blows a few raspberries, babbles some more, and then grunts for good measure. I'd LOVE to know what she thinks she's saying!

Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04