PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have an extra diaper bag or supplies in your car?

c2lane
06-09-2005, 11:16 AM
This mostly comes from reading the recent posts from the Mamas of 2 or more and I notice many of you mention having an extra diaper bag always stocked in the car or just extra 'supplies'. This never occurred to me, maybe because I work full-time with every other Friday off and weekends I just take my diaper bag. However, there has been a time or 2 when I needed something and I forgot to restock my diaper bag.

What do all of you keep in the extra diaper bag?

Carrie & Dillan Rose 01/02/04

Our 2nd blessing is due 10/6/05
http://lilypie.com/days/051006/0/6/0/-8/.png[/img][/url]

MMEand1
06-09-2005, 11:30 AM
We started keeping an extra diaper bag in the car (stocked for emergencies when we forgot to re-stock our regular bag) shortly after my DS was born and we had run out of something in our main bag. I usually give a "Back-up Bag" to my new mom friends because it has proved to be so valuable several times over!

I usually keep all the things I would normally have in my main bag, but in smaller quantities. Instead of 3-4 cloth diapers and 2-3 covers, I only have 2 diapers and 1 cover. I also keep a few extra nursing pads in there, one of those travel wipes containers that has 8-12 wipes (get these in the travel section in the bath and beauty area of Target), an extra onesie, outfit and pair of socks, and a thin flannel recieving blanket.

I think that's about all I have in there. I may just be an over-packer, but I want to make sure that I always have enough stuff for my DC when I'm out.
Mariah P.

Puddy73
06-09-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I keep my ONLY diaper bag in the car. DD has never liked riding in her stroller and I hate lugging a bag with me, so I just keep a large LE bag stocked in the car. If we are running errands I throw a few things in my purse and if we need anything else, we just go back to the car. Typical inventory would include a sippy cup (empty), a bottle of water, sunscreen, bug spray, snacks, several changes of clothes (including pjs), diapers, wipes, small diaper rash cream, Tylenol drops, changing pad, a few toys, a spare T-shirt for me (DD and I are both messy!), and an extra pair of shoes. When DD was younger, I also carried nursing pads, lanolin, baby food, bibs and spoons. I have a general first aid kit in the back of my car, too.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

alkagift
06-09-2005, 11:32 AM
The extra diaper bag is either in the car or on a hook by the door and contains wipes and one diaper, a disposable thing to put under the baby for changing, and a first aid kit and some Purell. It is primarily used for trips to the playground and to church, where we might spend an hour or so.

The big diaper bag is for longer jaunts that might extend over a snack or mealtime and includes more dipes and wipes (and Purell) and food, a cup or two and an extra shirt.

I'm a light packer, though, and I think you tend to pack less as the child gets older since there is a lot less BF poop and spitup to worry about--no blankies, no small toys, no two changes of clothes, bottles, etc.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

bunnisa
06-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Absolutely! It has saved us from having to go home when we've had an "incident".

I keep: Extra diapers, a changing pad, wipes, a book, a bib, a bottle of water, an extra pair of pants and a shirt.

In the early days of spitups I could have used an extra set of clothes for me, too!

Bethany
mom to William 6/03
ttc #2!

zuzu
06-09-2005, 11:50 AM
We keep a small one in the car for those times we forget to restock or change plans to be out longer after we already decided to leave the dipaer bag at home. Generally, we keep diapers and wipes, bottled water, shelf stable milk - the Horizon ones with a straw (though I might not in the heat of summer), dry snacks like raisins and crakers, a sweater and a change of clothes. We also keep some books, some small balls and a picnic blanket in the car.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Jeanne
06-09-2005, 12:06 PM
I've always kept a small spare in the car but I only keep a few dipes, scented diaper disposal bags, antibacterial wipes, and a travel container of regular wipes.

Raidra
06-09-2005, 12:28 PM
I have a medium sized bag that is both my purse and my diaper bag. Aside from my stuff (which is mainly just the ATM card and coupons), it has a disposable changing pad, one diaper, and a small baggie of wipes. It stays in the car, and if I anticipate Colwyn needing a small snack or drink while we're, say, in Target, I'll bring a granola bar and juice box to the car and put it in that bag.

We have a regular sized diaper bag that we use on longer outings (day at the park, etc). In that, I have a change of clothes for Colwyn, 3-4 diapers, a large baggie of wipes, more baggies in case of stinky diapers, sunscreen, Purell, an empty sippy cup or two, Colwyn's food, and maybe a toy or book, depending on where we are. That bag stays in the house unless we need it.

In the car, I have another change of clothes for Colwyn, a change of clothes for me, a package of diapers, a big container of wipes, a few packages of disposable changing pads, about a dozen take-n-toss sippy cups, several snack-sized bags of Teddy Grahams, Goldfish, etc, a beach towel, and a bunch of toys. This is all in a large beach bag that I got at AC Moore for $5. If we're going to a park and I want to take the toys with us, I just remove what I don't think I'll need and leave that in the back.

We never go so far that it would be terribly inconvenient to find food for Colwyn in a store or drive-thru, so my main concern was not having to worry about the diapers. With a regular sized package of diapers in the car, I always know there's plenty even if my regular bag is empty. We're also never so far away from the car that we can't easily walk to it and grab what we need.

I plan on keeping it pretty much the same when #2 comes along. In reality, if I'm in Target or something and the baby needs an urgent diaper change, I'd rather go to the car to take care of it anyways. We do most of our shopping on the weekends, so I'll either have my husband with me, or have him do the shopping while I stay at home. The only time I'd really need to bring a lot of stuff with us is for long trips to the park, and I usually bring the bigger bag then anyways.

shishamo
06-09-2005, 12:30 PM
I also keep my diaper bag in the car. I have:

diapers (2-3), wipes (must be in a ziploc bag so that it won't dry out)
change of clothing (sleepers for my #3, underwear and leggings for my #2)
lots of plastic bags
a few baby toys
sunscreen
empty sippies (2-3)
small pack of crayons plus a notepad
a few matchbox cars
blistix
bandages

I also have a small towel in the car separately. This really helped so many times. You can't really clean a huge mess with babywipes (vomiting, mud puddles, etc.).

My diaper bag had a matching small purse? that's supposed to go inside the bag (Timmi and Leslie Large Bebe bag), and that's what I carry out of the car (wallet, lipstick, cellphone, carkey).

californiagirl
06-09-2005, 12:41 PM
We don't keep an extra diaper bag, but there is always a package of diapers, a changing pad, and a box of wipes in the car, from which we can refill the diaper bag or the stocks in my office or do a change in the car. And a supply of newspaper bags. There is almost always a sippy cup (or 5) floating around, and usually a change of clothes for her. We find that we cannot be trusted to remember these things.

CiderLogan
06-09-2005, 12:48 PM
I've always kept a bag (not actually a diaper bag - in our case it's an LLBean tote bag) in the car stocked with extra diapers, a few toys, outdoor/park gear like balls/towels/etc., bottled water, snacks, paper towels, an extra sippy cup, and an umbrella.

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

amp
06-09-2005, 01:06 PM
I've been keeping an extra diaper bag in the car since we forgot out diaper bag at DS's 2 wk well baby visit. Very embarrassing!

We keep several extra dipes, a pack of wipes, a change of clothes and an extra shirt for me. Mostly this was a big deal with a baby, but I've just kept changing out the clothes each season with something he doesn't normally wear (hand me downs or a too big outfit) in case of emergency mess! I also used to keep a bottle w/ a powder packet in there for formula. I also have a plastic bag in there in case I need to bag something.

Having those extra dipes has been a lifesaver a few times! I only carry a couple of dipes at a time, and honestly, I don't always remember to restock.

s7714
06-09-2005, 03:11 PM
I have always kept the emergency or backup things (like changes of clothes) in the car rather than lugging them around. I also keep a diaper stash/wipes and changing pad (specially made for car changes) in the car. But I'm also a very light packer and would much rather march all the way back to my car to change a diaper than do it in some of the nasty restrooms that are out there. I don't keep things like Tylenol, medicines or other temperature sensitive items in the car however--they stay in the diaper bag I carry.

My basic rule of thumb is that if it’s something DD will need or want at a moments notice (snack, water, toys) then it goes in the bag I carry. If it’s something she can wait 5 or 10 minutes for (diaper change) it stays in the car.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
#2 It's a girl! EDD: 6/05
http://lilypie.com/days/050627/0/24/1/-8/.png

kijip
06-09-2005, 03:55 PM
I keep a rubbermaid container with extra cloth diapers, a few disposible diapers, food items, extra change of clothes and the basic care items like cream, thermometer, baby tylenol...it stays in the trunk and gets restocked every month or so.

starrynight
06-09-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't *always* but a large portion of the time I do, I did moreso when my 2nd and 3rd were younger. I learned the hard way, buying stuff on the go too much with my oldest. I am a bit scatterbrained when I'm rushed so if I am in a hurry to go somewhere I forget important stuff (like oh um wipes! LOL). Now that my youngest is almost 2 I don't keep one in the van as often. I do always pack an extra bag for any time I will be out more than 2-3 hours because you never know what can happen and I hate carrying a large bag around. So I take enough to refill my small bag once, plus extra clothes for everyone.

I keep extra wipes, diapers, snacks and toys in the extra bag plus if needed an extra outfit for each kid.

kristine_elen
06-09-2005, 04:04 PM
I don't have a second bag, but I try to always have at least one diaper in the car for emergencies, and some wipes if I'm lucky. (I usually find the diaper all crunched up under one of the seats.)

c2lane
06-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies... I have tomorrow off, so I'm planning on doing some organizing (nesting around the house) and think I'll pack a bag for the 4Runner while I'm at ;)

Carrie & Dillan Rose 01/02/04

Our 2nd blessing is due 10/6/05
http://lilypie.com/days/051006/0/6/0/-8/.png[/img][/url]

lisams
06-09-2005, 04:16 PM
In both cars there are:

2 change of clothes

potty (DD is potty trained)

roll of toliet paper

wipes

diapers used inside of potty - open them up and place them in the potty chair then just wrap up and throw away after she uses the potty, no need to wipe down and find a place to empty the potty!

sunblock, no sting antiseptic spray, band aids, lotion

snack bars in sealed wrapper

I think that's about it!
Lisa

DebbieJ
06-09-2005, 05:27 PM
I just keep a few extra dipes in the car.

I tend to carry light anyway.

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

HeatherW
06-09-2005, 05:34 PM
I am a NICU nurse and, when I discharge a baby/family home, I always give them the freebie diaper bags from the formula companies and tell them to use it as a stocked spare in the car. Hint: If you ask for two, or one of each, the nurses are not supposed to decline the request.

My husband has the older version of the Enfamil messenger style bag in his trunk, and I have one of the Similac bags in mine. Each bag has a juice/milk box, snacks, sippie cups(take n toss), diapers, wipes, sunscreen, bugspray, and a change of clothes.

H

Phoebe
06-09-2005, 09:34 PM
In the back of my van I have one of those plastic milk crates, and in that is a diaper bag (free enfamil one from hospital) that has diapers, wipes, wash clothes, plastic garbage bags. I also have an old baby blanket in there for diaper changes in the back of the van. I actually have another freebie diaper bag full of little toys that I bring for Owen when we're at Daisy's ballet class.

In between the kids seats in the van is a big huggies diaper box that I use to put lots of toys and books.

After reading this thread, I'm going to add to my stash:

empty, disposable sippy cups
a few bottles of water
sunscreen
snacks.... which ones withstand the heat of the summer the best?

Mary
DD 4/01
DS 6/03

mharling
06-09-2005, 09:51 PM
I don't. I wonder when the day will come that I'll regret it!

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

linsei
06-09-2005, 09:55 PM
I keep a bag with a few basics - extra diapers, outfit, bodysuit, snacks, disposable bib, placemat, burp cloth, shopping cart cover, small toys and sometimes a jacket and blanket.

I do it mostly so that I don't have to pack a freakin suitcase for an all day excursion. This way, I can just use my normal diaper bag and pull from my extra stash as needed.

Linda

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040428/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

macassi
06-09-2005, 10:03 PM
I almost never take my diaper bag into places. It stays in my car. Inside, I have a change of clothes, diapers, wipes, a sippy cup, a few toys, and sometimes a pair of shoes (as Abbie almost never has shoes on when we have to run out the door to pick up a brother from school). In my car (but not the diaper bag), I have a container of wipes, several bottles of water, and a bottle of sunscreen. In the summer, I usually add swimsuits and a couple of towels for unexpected trips to parks with water.

jbowman
06-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Deb,

I'm the same way. I keep a few extra diapers, a small package of wipes, and a changing pad in the car.

Marisa6826
06-10-2005, 01:07 AM
I have a little Rubbermaid box that I keep on the floor under Mia's carseat.

It has:

Pack of wipes
Two or three dipes for each kid
Spare onesie, tshirt, sweater and jeans for Sophie (need to do a summer switch)
Spare onesie and jammies for Mia (also need to summerize)
Small first aid kit

In a separate baggie I keep some of those disposable Avent bottles since I have forgotten to bring an empty for Mia before.

Not in the "emergency pack" but other stuff always in the car:

Sophie's inflatable booster seat
Buggy Bagg
Bjorn (for Jonathan - just in case) and MnM pouch
A couple blankets
A couple ratty old towels (either for the dogs or if it's raining)
A brick of juice boxes
Small bottled water
Paper towels
Hand cranked radio/flashlight
Emergency tool (it will break windows from the inside and cut seatbelts)
Miscellaneous small stuffed animals, books for Sophie

Oh, and the stroller lives in the back of the car as well. ;)

-m

jubilee
06-10-2005, 01:55 AM
I just started keeping one because of a few incidences of running errands and then suddenly realizing that I hadn't put a diaper in my main bag (I only carry one in my bag). So, now I put my old, discarding bag into use- stocked it with wipes and half a dozen dipes. I'm thinking of adding an outfit and a bib- more of the "just in case" supplies.