PDA

View Full Version : Inviting the same people to two showers?

duesept05
06-10-2005, 01:28 PM
I just found out the other day that one of my closest friends wants to host a baby shower for me in August, which is so nice of her. Most of the people I would invite are people I work with.
There are maybe 5 or 6 people to invite that I don't currently work with, however most of them live out of town and I don't know if they could even make it.

Today I just found out that some girls from work want to throw me a shower at work. They would probably take care of that invite list and haven't asked me anything about it - I just know they're looking to do it this month.

I would love to invite a good number of my work colleagues to the outside shower but don't want people to think I'm expecting something or something like that. Would it be tacky to invite them to two different showers?

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

VClute
06-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Personally, I would leave the work folks off of the invite list for the August shower. It wouldn't be rude to include them, but it might be seen as more of a chore, since they will already have given you a shower at work.

I would invite all of your out-of-town friends and all important female relatives to the August shower. I was pleasantly surprised by how many people came in from out of town for my shower. And by being separate from work, it was a more formal shower, too.

Best of luck to you in the rest of your pregnancy. I hope you don't get too hot this summer!

duesept05
06-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks! My family is hosting a shower for me in the Bay Area since they all live there and I live in San Diego :)

kristine_elen
06-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Do a search and you will find a very recent thread on this. Or just scroll down a page or two.

kath68
06-10-2005, 08:00 PM
This is a tough question. I had the same issue, and I probably did just the wrong thing. I really wanted to invite one person from work in particular, since there is overlap in our friends, and she had already done so much for me (lots of hand me downs, and SHE organized the work shower) -- I wanted to thank her.

So I invited her "in secret" and told her she would be disowned if she brought a present. I just wanted her to be at a fun party with friends. It seemed weird *not* to invite her, since she is a friend. But I didn't want her to feel like she had to do anything.

I think it all depends on how close of friends you are with the people from work you want to invite (if you are close enough to tell them *no presents* and they will do that), and if they will know other people at the other shower.

On the flip side, I am helping throw a baby shower for a co-worker's wife, in addition to attending our work baby shower for them. I am thrilled to go to both and give presents at both. In my experience, people love babies and pregnant women so much, that they will love to be involved as much as possible. And if they aren't, then they can decline an invitation.

You can hedge your bets by politely inviting your office workers and say "you know, so-and-so is throwing me a baby shower, and I would love for you to come. But I don't want you to feel like you have to, since you are already being so generous by participating in the office shower. I just didn't feel right about not extending the invitation to you, because I so enjoy your company and I consider you a friend outside of work." I dunno, something like that.

KBecks
06-11-2005, 08:56 AM
I have to say, showers aren't all that exciting, IMHO. I would HATE to be invited to two.