PDA

View Full Version : Poop in the tub...what do you do?

jenjenfirenjen
06-19-2005, 07:19 PM
DH and I got into a huge fight over this tonight (that's a whole 'nother story) and I'm just wondering if I'm off base.

As he was taking DS out of the tub, I noticed there was a small piece of poop in the tub, probably just a cling-on that was on his bum when he went in. After DS was asleep, I said to my husband that next time there is poop in the tub, I think DS should come out of the bath or at the very least, the poop should be scooped out of the bath. DH thinks this is ridiculous because according to him "there is always poop in the tub" because a baby's bottom is never clean. I happen to disagree with this since I use cloth wipes and a wipes solution with baby wash in it and I'm very diligent about getting DS's bum clean with each change (for the record, DH takes off his diaper before baths, hence the cling-on tonight.) But regardless, I feel since babies, especially at my DS's age, put everything in their mouths, that poop should never be in the tub with them. Am I being a germaphobe or am I right?

m448
06-19-2005, 07:24 PM
I'm not a germaphobe but I agree with you. That would be like bathing Ian with dirty toilet water. Ick.

I too use cloth and make sure his bum is wiped off well before going in the tub just because he's squirmy in the tub. Plus you're right, they stick everything in their mouths, have been known to drink bath water and worse. LOL

linsei
06-19-2005, 07:29 PM
This might be going overboard, but I would scoop out the turd, drain the bath, and start the bath from scratch!
Call me a germaphobe if you want. :) In my world there is a such thing as a clean baby bum.

Linda

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040428/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

g-mama
06-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Our ds has pooped while in the tub a few times and we take him out of the tub and move him to the other tub. One of us continues ds' bath while the other removes the poop, drains the water, removes every bath toy so they can all be cleaned, and scrubs down the tub!

So, no, I would not call you a germaphobe! But maybe that's because we are germaphobes ourselves. :)

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a third one coming in december '05!

crayonblue
06-19-2005, 07:53 PM
That is the neatest ticker (is that what it is called?) I have seen! I LOVE it! The development of a baby is so fascinating.

m448
06-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Despite the limited baby selection it's neat to get a brief developmental reminder.

Sorry for the tangent.

brigmaman
06-19-2005, 08:09 PM
For a while our ds would poop in the tub almost every bath. As soon as it happened, we would take him out and drain and clean up the mess. The bath would just be over at that point. It just seems to be the right thing to do. That said, I have noticed dd once in a while has had a bit of residual (what we call it when her tush has just a bit that was missed for whatever reason) poo on it and she's put in the tub, there might be a tiny bit in the water. She's very young and still just mainly bf poo, so it seemed less harmful. Who knows. Isn't there a country where people rinse before they bathe? It seems to make sense for reasons like this.

randomkid
06-19-2005, 08:43 PM
I agree with PPs. I would definitely stop the bath and clean up. There is a lot of bacteria in poop and you wouldn't want to risk your DC picking it up or drinking the water. E.Coli is in poop and can lead to a very serious illness. A little bit in that much water may not be enough to do it, but why take the risk?

I don't think you are a germaphobe. I think you are being smart. :-)

tigalig
06-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Perhaps I am a germaphobe, but we just had this happen with dd (and ds was in the tub with her) and we removed both of them, bleached the entire tub and all of the toys were removed for sanitation overnight. I did not put them back into that tub until the next day when everything had been rinsed several times and I was certain that both the poop and the clorox were gone! I guess I may have gone overboard, but it really grossed me out and I'm certain that her bottom is really clean after every diaper change (going through two packs of wipes per week) so I know it was not something that went into the water with her.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-19-2005, 08:57 PM
If it is just a solid piece of floating poop, I scoop it out and continue with the bath. If it is liquidy at all, we drain the bath and start over.

Poop is small and the bath is large . . .

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

ett
06-19-2005, 09:04 PM
If we see poop in the tub, we take DS out, clean the tub, and start the bath again. Fortunately, this has only happened 1-2 times so far.

dr mom
06-19-2005, 09:18 PM
I would (and frequently have had to) drain the water, scrub the tub and all the toys, and give DS a second bath. DH or I will sometimes join him in the tub at bathtime, and there's no freakin' way that *I* would want to take a bath in turd-enhanced water, so why would I leave DS sitting in it?

There are some unfriendly bacterial in feces, and most babies splash in the water, get it in their faces, or even drink it - why take chances? I guess I'm a germaphobe too!

kaylinsmommy2
06-19-2005, 09:21 PM
If DD actually pooped in the tub (which, lukily has only happened once), we take her out, dump out the water and start all over. If I saw a tiny piece left over from diaper change, I would scoop it out, but probably nto start over.

I read in Parents or Parenting magazine that poop in the bath water is not harmful - this is because e coli from one person will only cause illness in another person. So, if the ecoli/poop/bacteria/yucky stuff from your baby gets into his mouth, he wouldn't get sick. But, if you bathe two kids in the same tub, and the ecoli is from kid A, kid B can get sick. Does that make sense? That's just something I read a few months ago. Nonetheless, the idea of drinking bath water with your own poop in it totally grosses me out!! Yuck.
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

DebbieJ
06-19-2005, 09:33 PM
My ds has never pooped in the tub.

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

kijip
06-19-2005, 09:50 PM
So yes, I think getting the feces out and drawing a new bath is absolutely required!

kristine_elen
06-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Jack's never pooped in the tub, but I think I'd remove the poop and drain the tub. The baby books I read when he was born all were very clear about the fact that you need to wash your hands well after every poopy-diaper change b/c of all the dangers associated with feces. So, I'd think bathing in poop wouldn't be too healthy.
ETA: A baby's bottom IS clean most of the time, unless he's also not using wipes during a diaper change. It's not like babies go around with poop all over them 24/7.

jenjenfirenjen
06-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Well, what do you expect from a grown man with skid marks in his drawers? Of course he thinks butts are dirty...his is! Sorry, TMI but I'm still hoppin mad!

Thanks for the feedback mamas. I was pretty sure I was right on this one.

Mikesa3
06-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Yep,you're right. Ask him would he take a bath with poop in the water.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

aliceinwonderland
06-20-2005, 01:26 PM
My parents give me a hard time that we do not have bidets here...I say it'a because most American people shower everyday hence unneccesary. They still don't get it. Oh well. They can go back to their fancy bathroom with bidets and such. there's no room in mine for one, even if I entertained the thought...
e

toomanystrollers
06-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Ok ladies, come back and answer after you have three kids! LOL :P

The poop gets scooped!! I'm more concerned about the residual effects of cleaners/bleach all of my kiddos skin than a floater.

macassi
06-20-2005, 03:23 PM
You are so right! When CJ first pooped in the tub, we emptied the tub, washed him separately, disinfected the entire tub, and ran all toys through the dishwasher. I don't think Abbie's pooped in the tub, but I think I'd just scoop it and maybe end the bath, but there's no way I'd be disinfecting my entire bathroom.

Wife_and_mommy
06-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Thank you ladies. I was feeling like a bit of a weirdo. I only have one child but she feels like three sometimes. :P

I *always* do the bathing first and play second in case of sudden evacuation. :P This goes for poop or pee. No way I'd continue as normal if dd had pooped/peed in the tub. That is just icky. But I also don't go on a cleaning binge with heavy chemicals.

When it happened last week, I grabbed dd out of the tub and drained a little to be able to grab the poop and it went down! I was mortified thinking of the ickiness that went down the drain to whereever that water goes. I was comforted by the fact that I didn't do it on purpose. I turned away for a second and it was gone. Oh well. No use crying over poop. :P

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

A second baby blessing due early February 2006!

Moneypenny
06-20-2005, 04:05 PM
A couple of times I've caught DD peeing as soon as we put her in the tub (she has to be sitting just right for me to notice the little jet shooting up from the water). Those times we've drained, rinsed and re-bathed. I'm sure she must pee in the tub almost every time, but if I don't witness it, I just pretend it doesn't happen. My understanding is that urine is sterile (unless you have a UTI) so I don't think there are any health dangers, but *I* certainly wouldn't want to bathe in a tub containing pee. What do you do about that?

Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04

kaylinsmommy2
06-20-2005, 06:14 PM
We do the same as you. Unseen pee - well, I just assume that she doesn't do it! :) I think there was a thread/poll 6 months ago about whether or not you rince DC off after a bath, someone might have said something like this in it. But, we don't do that. About not wanting to bathe in a tub with pee - I wouldn't want to sit in a wet (or dirty) diaper, either, but DD doesn't mind! :P I guess if she pees and I don't see it, then sucks for her? I hope that doesn't make me a bad mom, but I can't be in charge of everything around here! :)
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

mamicka
06-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Well, I *am* somewhat of a germaphobe but if we're just talking floater - I'd scoop & continue with the bath, not washing his face with that water. If DS actually pooped while in the bath, I'd scoop, drain & start over after a quick wash of the tub with regular soap, not bleach or anything. This is assuming the poop is well-formed & scoopable. The less formed, the more cleaning involved.