PDA

View Full Version : Since we're getting personal-question for C-section mamas

Moneypenny
06-20-2005, 09:55 AM
How low and how poofy is your c-section scar? Mine is very low, like actually over my pubic bone. This is great, because unless I drastically change my fashion sense and bikini area shaving techniques, no one will ever know it's there. Except for the fact that there is this weird puffiness on the top edge of the scar. It has greatly diminished in the 10 months since the c-section, but I have a feeling that it will never go completely away. I put on a bathing suit yesterday, which given the current state of my thighs, I will not be doing again anytime soon, but this weird poof makes me look a bit deformed in the, er, pubic area. Anyone else, or am I just a freak?

Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04

psophia17
06-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Well, since my elephant belly hangs over the scar quite a bit, I don't actually know if it's poofy...but it is below the hairline and has healed really well. If I am laying down, there's a bit of a bump on the one side (where all the stitches were knotted), but that's about it. I think that over time, it will probably keep getting smaller...I hope :)

kijip
06-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Mine was kinda poofy for about a year but now lies flat....so there is hope but I am in the elephant belly group with Petra...toned legs, great torso, big old belly regardless of working out.....um tummy tuck is sounding better and better....after all I already have 1 scar....

vdrake71
06-20-2005, 12:51 PM
After 17 months my scar is poofy, it could be because I am expecting. I go to a dermotologist every 6 months and she told me that there is some stuff that she can give to me to reduce the poofyness. My scar is 6 1/2 inches long and it is fairly low where I could wear a swimsuit and no one would see it.

kfk
06-20-2005, 01:26 PM
My boys are 8 mos. old now. My scar is about 1/2 inch below the hairline down there, about 5 inches long and pink and thick but not too bad. But yes, it is poufy for an inch or so above it! Of course my tummy is kind of poufy too, after carrying twins (almost 11 lbs. of babv)! I don't mind the scar (after all--that's how my boys arrived safely) but could do without the stretched out belly. Luckily, no stretch marks, just stretched out skin. And well, as for the boobs, they're out of control huge (32 G) and I have no optimism as to how they'll look once we stop nursing. So here I am, relatively thin, with huge BBs (that are so saggy) and a 2-step tummy that makes an unpleasant roll out my waistband if it's at all too tight (drawstrings and yoga pants are my friend--so dowdy!), and the same old flat booty/small hips (accentuates the tummy and boobs). And, aside from my macho biceps (from lugging the boys, the mongo stroller and 2 carseats) and buff calves, nothing else is in shape!

amp
06-20-2005, 01:54 PM
I hate, hate, hate to admit that I can't see mine...unless I pull up the big flap covering it, which I'm not inclined to do unless washing or powdering. Okay, that was embarrassing!

KrisM
06-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Mine is quite low, skinny, and flat. My stomach is not flat, but the scar is. I can't feel it at all if I run my fingers over it. The stitches were on the inside, if that makes a difference.

tarahsolazy
06-20-2005, 02:03 PM
That poofy area above the scar can be caused by the disruption of the lymphatic vessels by the incision. They drain our puffiness all over the body, and they need to grow back after the surgery. Some people never get really good drainage back, so they have a little poofiness. Mine was poofy, but is now flat. My belly is not, however, like most mamas.

cmo
06-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Mine has had 2 incarnations: purple and poofy and quite noticeable, then flatter and just a little red. The difference was the OB doing the c-section. The first one was unplanned, so I got the OB on call within my office's group. When my regular OB saw me again, on my first visit for pregnancy #2, she said 'oh, that isn't my work, you'll get a much less noticeable scar if I deliver this one!' And she was right. I never really asked about it, but I'm guessing it was the technique. That, and each individual's own tendencies of healing, i.e. some folks scar less than others!

Moneypenny
06-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Okay, so I have saggy boobs, dimply and stretch-marked thighs, an elephant belly, and disrupted lymphatic vessels? Oy!

Thanks for the explanation on the poofiiness. I makes me feel a little better (I think, ;)).
Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04

Moneypenny
06-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks for commisserating with me everyone! It seems my incision is not uncommonly low - in the hospital all the nurses who checked it kept saying, "Oh, it's so low - that's fabulous". They must have just been trying to make me feel good!

My elephant belly is above my navel (WTH is up with that, I wonder?) so I actually have a few inches of decent looking belly below my navel, but then there's that darn bit of poofy above the incision that throws everything off. Oh, well. Not like I ever walked around showing off the area of my body anyway.

Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04

g-mama
06-20-2005, 08:31 PM
That's funny! I had two different OBs do my two c/s and the second one saw the prior scar and also said, "That is not my work!" She said it was like a crooked smile and that for sure she would fix that up when she did the incision. She made it nice and straight and yes, it's very low, far below the pubic hair area and smooth. No bulge over the scar, but a bit higher up, around the waist area, yep, there's a bulge. :(

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a third one coming in december '05!

mudder17
06-20-2005, 09:11 PM
I did not have a C-section, but I did have surgery done in the area and they did a horizontal cut. It's quite low as well (just above where the hair grows), and it was very puffy for a long time (this was 10+ years ago). It's still somewhat raised, but it's not too noticeable unless you really look at it (which only I, my doctor, and my DH would be able to see). Oh, and it has faded over the years.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

Marisa6826
06-21-2005, 12:02 AM
I am soooo right there with you, sister! It's truly pathetic that I just hide the flap in my underwear and hope for the best. I'm telling you, if I thought I could do it, I'd just whack the belly off and start over! D'oh!

Uh, if I could *see* my scar, I'd let you know. I do have that bump on one side from where the drain line was. Don't ask...

-m