PDA

View Full Version : Questions for pool owners/frequent swimmers

bnme
06-20-2005, 12:15 PM
In a couple of weeks we will be moving to a new house with an in-ground pool and I have a bunch of safety questions. The pool will have a 4ft chain link fence completely around it. I appreciate any feedback. I have a 2.5 yo and a 10 month old who both love the pool and have been in pools often (family/friends).

1. What type of floatation devices do you use? My older son wears a speedo life jacket but I just bought a coast gaurd approved life jacket for him. Up until now I just have the baby in a boat-type float that has leg holes, but I think he should also have a life jacket.

2. Is is possible to safely use the pool with the kids by myself? I don't think it (meaning I can't imagine how, just wondering what other moms do.

3. If you have sliding doors what type of security locks do you have on them. My son can easily open the door and has randomy unlocked the regular lock on it so we need something else. I have not seen anything other than those suction cup alarms which dont seem very effective.

4. Any other tips?

TIA!

almostamom
06-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Donna,
Here's a link that I think addresses most of your questions. It's from the Phoenix newspaper. We tend to have many drownings and near drownings because so many people have pools (we need some relief from the heat -- it's supposed to be 112 tomorrow - YUCK!) Anyway, hope the link helps. You can also try a google search with Phoenix Fire Department and Water Safety. (The fire dept. here is very active in promoting water safety and tips.)

http://www.azcentral.com/poolsafety/poolsafety.html

Good luck and enjoy your new home!

~Linda~
DS 11/04

jasabo
06-20-2005, 03:12 PM
We're having a house built right now and are putting in a pool too, so we just dealt with all these issues. I wouldn't be comfortable with a chain link fence b/c they're so easy to climb. I'd have a pool fence installed - usually runs around $1500, depending on enclosure space, where you live, etc. Also, the magnetic gate locks work very well. They usually put them on the cast iron/aluminum fences. There's also a mesh fence that's removable for if you have large parties often, if your kids are older, etc. It's a good barrier, though they're not as tall as the cast iron/aluminum fences and they're actually not up to code in some cities here in the Phoenix area. They also run around the same price as aluminum.

For glass sliders, you can have installed safety handles that are like levers about 10 inches from the top of the slider. They drill a hole into the top frame and there's a bolt type of thing that goes into the hole. You have to pull the lever to open the door - just pulling on the slider doorhandle won't open it. I know I didn't explain that well, but pool builders would probably know what they are. We're having these put on our back doors in the new house. They work really well.

Also, have your security system set up that every time a door opens, it beeps. That's kind of a second/third measure of safety and not failsafe, but it's nice to have.

And they make pool nets that you can have installed. A friend has one b/c they can't fit a fence into their yard. They drill holes into the concrete and custom make a net for your pool. They're very strong and you have to keep the water low enough that if a child falls onto the net, they won't touch the water. The nets aren't flexable, so they shouldn't sink anyway. These run around $1500 - $2000 here in the Phoenix area. Only problem is that you have to remember to always put the net back on after swimming, so it's not as safe as a fence.

According to our pool builder, pool alarms don't work very well - they're set off by wind, rain, etc., and really are just a last ditch safety effort b/c by the time the alarm goes off, the child is already in the water. If you happen to be upstairs and can't get outside quickly, it's too late. So you really need to rely on physical barriers.

As for swimming with both kids alone, I don't do it now b/c my kids don't use flotation devices - they're in swim lessons now and the instructors say that flotation devices aren't totally safe. However, when they're better at swimming, I'll take them alone.

Definitely, though, I'd get a new fence. So many kids drown here in Phoenix and it's so easily preventable. That said, enjoy your new pool! I LOVE swimming and can't wait to have our pool.

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

Mommy_Again
06-20-2005, 04:58 PM
The only thing I'll add is to get your oldest in swim lessons if he's not already- he is definitely old enough and he'll learn basic safety/survival skills. I posted about swim lessons in the toddler lounge recently, but our instructor does not advocate flotation devices because it gives the kids a false sense of security (if they fell in without the floaties, they wouldn't realize that they wouldn't float).

with two kids I'd be hesitant to take them in by myself, but I take my son in alone all the time. Two is just so much harder to keep track of!

For your youngest- since he isnt moving yet, you could put him in something - last summer we had DS in a blow-up boat thing that he sat in- it worked pretty well, but he did flip it over once which was very scary, so you definitely would need to keep your eyes on it at all times!

we just got our pool fence installed- we got the aluminum/mesh in a tan color so it blends in- let me know if you want to see it and I can post a pic.

lisams
06-20-2005, 06:02 PM
We don't have a pool but I can answer #3! We installed a pin/hole type lock to the top of our sliding glass door that DH got at Lowes. It included drilling a hole in the metal at the top of the door and screwing in another part. All we have to do is put the attached pin in the hole and it's locked.

HTH!
Lisa
>
>3. If you have sliding doors what type of security locks do
>you have on them. My son can easily open the door and has
>randomy unlocked the regular lock on it so we need something
>else. I have not seen anything other than those suction cup
>alarms which dont seem very effective.
>
>4. Any other tips?
>
>TIA!
>
>

lisams
06-20-2005, 06:06 PM
Linda, I didn't realize you are in AZ too! I live in Chandler, and DD is driving me bonkers because it's too hot to go outside and play. Today felt especially hot, blah! I can't wait for October!

Lisa

bnme
06-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips/links/advice. The article from AZ was very informative. I will have to check out Lowes for the locks, sounds perfect!

Ashley, I'd love to see the type of fence you have. Is it the BabyLoc type? I hear such conflicting things on that type of system because it is removable. And aren't all fences climbable?? Right now we are planning on a chainlink, but maybe I need to do more research.

We are also going to look into swim lessons. My older son loves the water and although I am happy he is a little too fearless, KWIM? He loves putting his face in the water.