PDA

View Full Version : Phila area gals: I need your help!

lukkykatt
06-20-2005, 10:11 PM
DH and I are considering moving back to Phila in about a year. We always get stuck on where we would live though. What are some good, child-friendly areas? I lived just outside downtown Phila for almost my whole life, but we moved before we had children, so I am not sure where we would want to move back to.

Some things that are important: safety, convenience to Center City, good schools, area ammenities (like parks, playgrounds, lakes, trails, etc). Also, my parents live in SE NJ and Wilmington, so I would like to be easily accessible to both. Some areas I had thought of are Haddonfield, NJ and the Main Line. And in particular regarding the Main Line, which neighborhoods are nice for children without being sick expensive? And what other areas should I be thinking about?

Our area is so fantastic to raise children that it is hard to imagine living anywhere else right now. But I am trying...

lmintzer
06-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Andrea,
We just moved to Ardmore (on the Main Line) 2 1/2 months ago. We wanted a lot of what you mentioned in your post: good place to raise kids, convenience to Center City, good schools, parks, etc. We considered Haddonfield as well, which we liked, but as it turns out, the property taxes there were way more than in Philly, so you basically got a lot less for your money.

We started out looking in Lower Merion Township (in Wynnewood, Bala Cynwyd, Merion, Ardmore). We were told "best schools," "premier Philly suburbs," etc. Don't have a lot of time for our whole story, but we ended up in Ardmore but on the Haverford Twp side of the county line. We researched the schools here pretty extensively, and as it looks, the grammar schools are just as good if not better than some of the Lower Merion schools. At the junior high level and up, it's more questionable, but we really didn't feel the need to think that far ahead, given that we really don't know what's going to happen in our lives between now and then. We didn't even see ourselves leaving Chicago (for here), and here we are.

You get a bit more for your money on this side of the county line. Our neighborhood really has a neighborhood feel--friendly neighbors, a down-to-earth non-snobby feel. We're 1/2 mile from the Haverford College campus with a great duck pond and nature trail (though we haven't tried the trail out yet, we hear it's good).

The house next door for us is for sale. It's a new construction home (like ours)--a rarity in the area. Too bad you aren't looking now. : )

HTH a little. We really like where we are, but we're very new and all is still feeling new and strange. Some of the moms who have been here longer may be of even more help. Good luck with your decision.

ETA: dh takes the train to Center City every day for work. No car needed at all for the trip! We live 2 blocks from one of the train lines. He loves it!

murpheyblue
06-20-2005, 11:34 PM
Aww, you're making me all misty eyed. I lived on Montgomery Ave. in Haverford for two years in college. I think that's such a lovely area!

Jen841
06-21-2005, 07:33 AM
We love the Downingtown/Exton/Lionville area. We were Chicago city dwellers, and have not taken advantage of the city here yet. We are slaves to travel and our house right now. We are right close to the turnpike to get to NJ, and up 202 for Wilmington. There are great schools around here. Taxes are OK. Housing was more than we expected, but I think we were not thinking realistic. There are great trails for hiking and biking close to our house. Every kind of shopping is easy, especially groceries (we have 7 within 5-10 minutes of our house, and 2 wholesale clubs.) Parks are great! Jude and I visit many as we explore the area.

Restaurants are not the best, but Chicago spoiled us with great Mom and Pop one Shop places.

LOVE our Daycare here!

emmiem
06-21-2005, 08:11 AM
I am from Havertown. It is a straight shot to the city down West Chester Pike. It has great neighborhoods, very kid friendly. The schools are some of the best. Haverford Junior High and High are among the greatest in Philly. I have a brother who teaches at the junior high-honors language arts.
Michele

lmintzer
06-21-2005, 08:34 AM
In the two months I've been here, I'll second the vote for Havertown as well. Everyone we've met from there is so nice--and there are kids everywhere. I hear it's a relatively good deal money-wise for what you get. Ardmore, where we are (near Havertown) is similar as well.

Gosh, there are so many of us so close. I know I've posted about a get together--I wish I had my act together enough to plan one. Maybe in another few weeks.

aliceinwonderland
06-21-2005, 09:02 AM
You know I'm no help, but if you do move, it looks like our Philly tenures overlap by one year :)

I'll have A. ask around where the managers at his work live, though I am sure they live far out in West Chester area, so access to center city is far from convenient (the commute on the Schuykill (sp?) is painful, even on weekends!!)

e.

lukkykatt
06-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Lisa, I may pick your brain, further down the line if that is ok...

Did it seem like the higher property taxes in NJ outweighed the higher housing cost of the Main Line? I'm sure it is just my perception, but I thought that the housing cost would be less in NJ and that would balance the tax issue. Since you just went through this, I am sure you would know better than me though. Did you not find that to be the case?

And are you in Deleware County or Montgomery? I knew Ardmore was split by township, but it sounds like you are saying it is split by county too? Are things less expensive on the Delaware County side? I went on Mapquest today and Ardmore was just about perfect as far as bein almost equal travel time to NJ and to DE - thanks!

If price was no object, I would love to be in Gladwyne...

lukkykatt
06-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Yes, we may actually meet up one day! I usually "vacation" at my father's house one week in the summer = read by the pool while he dotes on the grandkids. I'll let you know when I figure out when that will be - maybe you will be in town that weekend?

West Chester is too far away from the city for me. It would be nice and close to my mother, but it would put me farther from the city and from my father. But you do get more bang for your buck out there!