PDA

View Full Version : OT- Anyone used the motion sickness patch?

SummerBaby
06-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Has anyone used the scopolamine patch to prevent motion sickness? If so, did it work? Did you have any side effects? How long did you keep it on?

I get motion sickness very, very easily. We're going to Nantucket August 1, and that stupid fast ferry always gets to me. Dramamine keeps me from vomiting, but I still spend the entire ride miserable, standing outside with my face in the wind. The ride is only an hour, so I was wondering if I could put the patch on for that short of a time period.

TIA!

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

dawell0
06-21-2005, 09:59 AM
I highly recommend Bonine, or any generic version of it. I got mine at Walgreens, the Walgreens generic brand. Dramamine made me drowsy. The patch is expensive, I found, like $50 because my insurance will pay for very little of it and I have GREAT insurance. I took the drug every morning that I was on a cruise and never had a problem, even when we went through a tropical storm. Before that, I was miserable. For that short of a trip, I wouldn't waste my time with the patch. I think that you need to take it a day before the trip and the morning of your trip and you should be OK. Check with the pharmacist if you are BFing, however, because I probably wouldn't recommend it then.

lmintzer
06-21-2005, 10:20 AM
I get motion sick on closed boats/ships, and I've used Skapolomine (sp?) which is probably in the same drug class as the Bonine mentioned above. It really really helped! The only side effect I exprienced was a dry mouth, which is typical with this class of drugs. No big deal--I just drank extra water and was fine.

On one cruise, the waters were very rough. Everyone who normally didn't get sick was, and I was fine with the patch.

SummerBaby
06-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks- I never even thought to check if my insurance will cover it!

Did Bonine make you drowsy? Were you able to drink while taking it? I don't drink a lot, but I'd like to have a glass or 2 of wine after we get there.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

missym
06-21-2005, 11:06 AM
I've used the patch and loved it! It got me through a 2-week trip in Europe which included airplanes, subways, ferries and trains. I did have dry mouth and a little sleepiness, but not so bad as Dramamine, which completely knocks me out.

The patch is really meant to be worn for an extended period, I think. It seems like it took a while for the first one to kick in. So in your case one of the other options might be a better choice.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03... and #2 due Sept 05!

Bethvet
06-21-2005, 11:29 AM
I've actually used all three.

The patch can work well, but I think it had to go on at least an hour or two before the trip (I don't remember) and I would end up with a dry mouth and a "minerally" taste in my mouth.

I then started taking Dramamine 2, which is the same as bonine or antivert. The generic name is meclazine. For me it works very well, but you should also take it before the trip to give it time to be absorbed.

Dramamine works- but puts me right to sleep.

So now I usually use the Dramamine 2 (meclizine). Bonine comes as a pill or chewable (chalky tasting, but not bad). The others (dramamine 2 or generic) are just available in pill form.

I don't know how any would be with BF.

Enjoy your trip.

Beth
Mother to Ethan 3/30/05

Sillygirl
06-21-2005, 12:39 PM
I used the patch during my Semester at Sea. I still got seasick, but it certainly helped. I did notice my eyes dilated a lot and I couldn't read super fine print. I'd put it on about two hours before we set sail each time, and left it on until my sea-legs came back, usually two-three days.

missym
06-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Oh, yes! I forgot about the eye thing. I had that with the patch, too.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03... and #2 due Sept 05!

Sillygirl
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
The medicine in the patch (scopalamine) is used in hospice patients to dry up secretions. So I wouldn't be surprised if it affected your BF supply adversely, but that's just a guess.