PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good cash-back credit card...

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
06-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Any good ones out there? We currently have Citibank Dividends Platinum card, but there's a stupid $300/year limit on the cashback, and we're about to hit that. I refuse to use a credit card that won't earn me $$ back!

Thanks!

kamal
06-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Well, there is Discover of course that has a generous cash back policy. But we also have a Mastercard from FirstUSA that has a good cash back program. When I called them to sign up, I specifically asked for which of their cards had a cash back program and then signed up. We've had that card for years now.

I looked at the card just now, and it is now a Chase card - the cust service number is 800 436 7927 - perhaps they will also let you sign up?

Good luck.

lablover
06-21-2005, 12:10 PM
I have a Chase card also - Chase Freedom Mastercard. You earn 1% on all purchases and 3% on gas purchases, all with no limit. The rebate you earn each month is posted as a credit on your next month's bill. I got this card years ago when it was originally Shell Mastercard by Chase. I don't have an annual fee either.

On the website it looks like this card is now called the Chase PerfectCard. It lists a $19 annual fee but says there is no fee the first year and for future years the fee is waived if you made 9 purchases in the prior year.

icunurse
06-21-2005, 12:11 PM
We have a Discover card (mainly for Sam's Club) which gives cash back, but here's another option - Chase Toys R Us Visa. We've had it for years and you earn(unless it's changed) 1% for every purchase and 3% for any purchase at TRU, BRU, or KRU. We've gotten lots of money back in the form of Geoffrey dollars, which we use to purchase gifts for our nieces, toys/clothes/diapers for DS, etc.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

LD92599
06-21-2005, 12:29 PM
I might be mistaken but i remember reading that you only earn the 1% if you carry a balance. I use that card strictly for TRU/BRU purchases and use Amex Rewards for everything else.

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://lilypie.com/pic/050530/616a731.jpg[/img][img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

Sillygirl
06-21-2005, 12:36 PM
That's exactly the card that I have and love. It's especially nice because you don't have to wait for rebate checks or anything else - it just comes off your balance (as long as you've charged some gasoline.) And there's no limit! I have the Citi card with the $300 limit also, but I only use it for groceries, where I get 5% back. Citi is a PITA, though, always calling me with crap for stupid people, like credit life insurance.

icunurse
06-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Hmmm....maybe they changed it. We never carry a balance and still get the TRU money. Something for people to ask about if they're interested, I guess.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

hellokitty1
06-21-2005, 12:59 PM
We have the Citibank Dividends Platinum Card too. But because of the limit, we also have the AT&T Universal Cash Rewards Mastercard which works exactly the same way as the Dividends. This was actually one of the first cards I got in college for the purpose of the phone card and to build good credit. After college, I never used it but never cancelled it but about a year ago, it was converted to a Universal card and works the same way as the Dividends.

Here is the site: www.universalcard.com and here's an excerpt from the Terms and Conditions:

"You will earn 5% on purchases made at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations, 5% on purchases of eligible AT&T consumer products and/or services and 1% on all other purchases. Supermarkets are defined as stand-alone merchants that primarily sell a complete line of food merchandise for home consumption. Drugstores are stand-alone merchants that primarily sell prescription and proprietary drugs and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines. Gas stations are merchants that primarily sell vehicle fuel for consumer use. Consumer AT&T products and/or services must be purchased through an AT&T customer service center or purchased at att.com to qualify for the 5% rebate."

So we have a Discover card that we use strictly at Sam's and on occasion at special merchants where they are offer a bonus percentage. We then use the Shell Mastercard which offers 5% on Shell gas and 1% on everything else and the rewards are automatically applied toward future Shell gas purchases and there is no limit to the rebate amount. Only catch is you have to make so 9 (9?) Shell purchases a yr. But we have a lot of Shells around us so it's not hard to make sure we use it 9 time a yr. Worst case scenario, just make separate transactions for one tank of gas and as long as it rings up as nine separate transactions, you're set.

And then we use the Citi Dividend and AT&T Universal for grocery, drugstore and non-shell gas purchases.

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)
www.thelins.znot.net (FINALLY updated 6/15/05!)

Mommy_Again
06-21-2005, 01:14 PM
we have a citibank platinum rewards MC that accrues points...we have accumulated about $750 worth of points so far - kind of a pain to redeem them at their participating retailers but cool to be able to buy a big 'reward'

We have an Exxon/Mobil Citibank MC that gives I think 3% on all gas from E/M and 1% for all other purchases, and is deducted from your statement each month. DH drives a lot for work so it has been nice.

If you type 'credit card offers' into google there are sites that list all the different options.

lovin2shop
06-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Not sure if these are financially the best deals, but I have two "fun" reward cards, Amazon.com MC and a TJ Maxx visa. The amazon card gives 2.5% back in the form of amazon gift certificates which you enter online to redeem. I just enter them in my account when I receive them, and then I have a credit balance for the next time I want to make an amazon purchase. The TJ Maxx visa earns 1% on all purchases and 5% on all TJM/Marshall's purchases in the form of gift certificates as well. They are both no annual fee, but I'm not sure of the interest rates if you carry a balance. I'm pretty fuzzy on all of these details, so please double check if you want to get these cards.

Momof3Labs
06-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Secret about the Citibank Dividends Platinum card: you can double the limit by having two accounts for your household. You are primary on one, with an extra card for DH, and DH is primary on the other, with an extra card for you. When you hit the $300 limit on one, stop using it for the year and use the other. We have this card and are impressed with the way the rewards build!

Momof3Labs
06-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah, the TRU card cut way back on its rewards a while back, so I replaced it. It's definitely no longer 1% on non-TRU purchases unless you carry a balance.