PDA

View Full Version : Donate your used BRAS for a great cause! (x-post maternity)

MarisaSF
06-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Know you'll never wear your pre-pregnancy or maternity size again? I just went through my stash and thought other Mamas here may have some old bras sitting about!

I'm a volunteer for a remarkable free clinic. One of its programs is Street Outreach that provides mobile health-related services to homeless and marginally housed women. They take donations for toiletries (makeup, shampoo, etc) and now are accepting used bras too!

Here's the info:
TAKE OFF THAT BRA.... And Donate It!
In July, the Women's Community Clinic Street Outreach Program will be accepting gently used and new bras for donation to homeless women in San Francisco.
mail or bring to:
Women's Community Clinic
2166 Hayes Street, Suite 104
San Francisco, CA 94117
Outreach Program: 415-379-7802 x.374
All donations are tax deductible.

More info on the clinic: http://www.thewomensclinic.org/

Thank you for your support! (ha ha... pun intended!)

saschalicks
06-21-2005, 11:42 AM
thanks so much for the info. I was wondering what to do with them. Oh I'm so excited to do this. Yay!

nathans mom
06-21-2005, 11:55 AM
I love this idea! I'm going to spread your post to my friends via email if that is ok with you. I have so many bras of various sizes from the past and so often find that I just don't know what to do with them. Thanks for sharing this!

Pam

Mom to Nathan (our little Easter surprise April 11, 2005)

murpheyblue
06-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks for that info! I'm going home today to clean out my bra drawers.

MarisaSF
06-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Thank you ALL SOOOOO much! I know our clients are so thankful too, for your generosity.

Yes, please share with anybody. I felt the same about not knowing what to do with old bras.

If anybody's interested... they also take toiletry donations. I've given them a ton of those little half-used hotel shampoos and samples that I get from make-up counters.

You are all angels!

murpheyblue
06-21-2005, 12:48 PM
>If anybody's interested... they also take toiletry donations.
>I've given them a ton of those little half-used hotel shampoos
>and samples that I get from make-up counters.

Really? Now I'm not only cleaning out my bra drawer but under my bathroom sink too. I've got shampoos, lotion samples, perfume, you name it.

Marisa, any chance these ladies could use diapers for their kids? I have a giant unopened box of Huggies that I've been wanting to donate to a woman's or family shelter but I haven't done the research to find one. I'm in the Bay Area and work in SF so I cold drop them off.

BTW, what aer their hours? I can't find them on the website.

MarisaSF
06-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Ali-
you are too sweet.
Here are the hours: http://www.thewomensclinic.org/visit/hours.html
The coordinator of Street Outreach is Emalie -- she works odd hours (since she's usually out with the team at night, but you can drop off with anyone at the front desk). The clinic is on Hayes, near Stanyan, not too far from USF. They also take gently used makeup (except for used eye makeup).
I don't think many (if any) of the women that clinic serves have little kids.

However, here's the website of a family shelter not too far (5 blocks or so) from the clinic. http://www.hamiltonfamilycenter.org/Donate.htm
So, if you're headed in that direction.... you can make both drop-offs! I'm sure they can use them or give them to someone who can.

Thanks again a million times! :)

murpheyblue
06-21-2005, 01:22 PM
I don't know how I missed the hours on the site. Thanks for the tip on the other clinic. Hopefully I'll make a weekend run to both clinics.

kensjen
06-21-2005, 01:59 PM
That is a great idea, thanks!

Do they need nursing bras too, or just regular ole bras??!!

MarisaSF
06-21-2005, 02:26 PM
I just wrote to Emalie to see if they'd need/want nursing bras. I don't think any of the clients are nursing mothers (most are just getting by, drug users, etc). However, if your old nursing bra is pretty much like a regular bra, just has the little clasp things, I don't see why someone couldn't wear that as an everyday bra. Right? I'll let you know what Emalie has to say.

ETA: Congrats, Jen!!!!!!!!!! Just saw the updated siggie!

trumansmom
06-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Great! I went on a bra buying binge right before I got pregnant with DS! I have a BUNCH that are barely used that I will NEVER fit in again!!

Thanks!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

barbarhow
06-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Ooooohhhhhh. I have a stack of them. Bras that is. Very happy to send them along. Thanks for the info!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

american_mama
06-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Marisa: Since you are a volunteer, I'm curious if any old size will do? I have seen signs for other non-profits that have specifically requested career wear in PLUS sizes. I can understand... after all, half the clothing I give away is because it's become too small.

Just curious.