PDA

View Full Version : Ways to entertain 19 month-old on 5 hr car ride?

chlobo
06-21-2005, 11:57 AM
We are going to deer isle, me this weekend. Because we are so fatigued we decided to drive during the day rather than risk falling asleep at the wheel. Hence, we'll need some entertainment for DD on the ride to and fro.

Besides a dvd player, does anyone have any suggestions?

ETA: So far we have sticker books & colorforms (although I actually have no idea if she'll like them)

I did try to search for old threads (tried "car" "travel" "drive" "trip") but didnt find what I was looking for.

bostonsmama
06-21-2005, 12:50 PM
DH and I have friends who just drove from Texas to Virginia with their 20 month old and 4 month old (and she is BFing both of them). She said they played the Wiggles tapes on the car stereo a couple times for about an hour each during the day. She said she was literally sitting in the back seat with them playing with them for much of it....going through the Baby Einstein flashcards, having the older one point out colors he recognized on cars ("lellow") and pointing out which ones are trucks. They did snacks and also napped a lot.

If you've got movies for your DVD player...that's great! Use it. Many wishes for safe travel with your little one.

L

jbowman
06-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Carren,

This is what works for Ellie:

Little People (she loves playing with them--sometimes I'll present her with new Little People just for the trip)

board books

empty water bottles

old cell phones (and when we're desperate, our cell phones, LOL!)

music that Ellie likes (we have several cds of "toddler music" with favorites like "Camptown Races")

I bring goldfish, animal crackers, teddy grahams, extra sippy cups, etc.

We also stop at least twice and let Ellie stretch/run around--so I would plan on doing that. Usually one of these stops will be at a restaurant with a play area (even if you normally don't go to fast food places, I highly recommend this during a long car trip!).

Have fun!

kensjen
06-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Hopefully you can drive during a naptime, and your DD will at least sleep an hour or two. (you hope!) I would sit in the back with her and play...with the stickers, colorforms, read her books, draw on the magnadoodle...bring lots of those kind of things. Get a couple of new books and maybe they will hold her attention longer. Not sure if you can work it with your carseat, but I also bring a drawing pad a few crayons. I know that can be tricky in the car, but DS loves to draw! We also have these funny flashcards my mom got him that he loves. They have little pictures on them, and he loves all of the cars, planes, etc.

I like to try to find a book about where we are going. Something simple like a vacation book, beach book, whatever. He really relates to the books now, so this can help prepare him somewhat.

I also have to bring lots of snacks and water for DS, he is always hungry and thirsy. Do you have a snack trap or something that she can feed herself from? That usually takes up some time for us.

We always use the laptop for a little bit of wiggles, maybe 30-45 minutes (1 dvd). He really likes to be up and able to dance when he watches them! LOL

ETA: I totally agree with Jill. Try to stop a couple of times, and the playareas are great for this. Tires the little ones out so maybe they will nap! ;)

jbowman
06-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Jen--Congratulations on your pg! Did you just change your signature file?

R2sweetboys
06-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Hey Carren! Where are you from? I'm just curious b/c we live in southern Maine. As far as entertainment, we do lots of snacks and(call me a bad mommy!) the DVD player!! We're actually driving about 13-14 hours(over 2 days) to Virginia on Thursday and I'm THRILLED to have the DVD player this time. It's our first long trip with it and,for our boys, it's a Godsend. Your daughter's a bit younger so I'm not sure if she's even interested in any shows.

At that age I'd definitely consider sitting in back with her and reading a new book or doing finger puppets,games,etc. Hopefully she'll nap some to pass the time. Anyway, have a great trip! :)
~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

chlobo
06-21-2005, 09:07 PM
I live in Carlisle, MA, which is just outside Concord.

We do plan to stop, just not sure where yet.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Keep em coming.

american_mama
06-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Snacks (grapes and strawberries worked well at that age, cut into quarters as I recall)
Doodle boards... what are they called? Oh yeah, Magna Doodle. You can get travel sized ones.
Slightly noisy toys (not enough to drive you crazy)
Music CDs
Tiny books to hold and big ones to have read aloud

You might try semi-clear vinyl stickers designed for windows (no adhesive, so easy to remove) but your child may not be able to reach the window while strapped in their car seat. I found mine at a garage sale, so I don't know where you buy them.

If your child likes opening gifts, you can buy a couple gifts at the dollar store, WRAP them, and dole them out at 30 minute intervals or so.