PDA

View Full Version : Little Gym?

Marisa6826
06-21-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm taking Sophie tonight for a freebie visit. I'm 90% sure I'll sign her up for the summer session.

Can anybody tell me what I should expect tonight?

Thanks!

-m

LucyG
06-21-2005, 01:40 PM
I took my DD to a free session at our local children's gym yesterday. I posted about it in the Toddler Lounge, but my question was more about pricing. Anyway, we had a blast! The class was mom-and-me for two-year-olds, and there were eight kids and moms there. We started out sitting on a parachute, and did a welcome song and a song where the kids passed a bean bag around. Then, the teacher talked about the theme for the day, which was personal space. She did it in a kid-friendly way, but the kids all wanted to just go play! After a brief intro, the two teachers roamed the room assisting the moms as the kids climbed on various pieces of equipment, slid, jumped, did balance beams, ball pit, etc. The last few minutes we all gathered back on the parachute to do a goodbye song and sing Itsy Bitsy Spider. The class lasted 45 minutes. The gym we went to is locally-owned, but I think it's patterned after Gymboree and Little Gym, etc. I hope you and Sophie have fun tonight!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

August Mom
06-21-2005, 01:46 PM
We went to a free Little Gym session. It started by parents and children sitting in a big circle. I think there was a song. Everyone got up and moved as the teacher instructed while moving around the circle. Then, she blew up a trampoline type thing and the kids jumped. Then, we did big somersaults, which basically amounted to laying on a big foam circle covered in vinyl and rolling over the top, ending in a somersault position on the mat on the floor. Then there was free time to explore the equipment. There were low balance beams, parellel bars, uneven bars and mats to jump off of. Then we circled up, blew bubbles, sang a song and put bells away.

almostamom
06-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Marisa,

How did it go at Little Gym?

~Linda~
DS 11/04

Marisa6826
06-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Surprisingly, Hurricane Sophie was pretty shy in the beginning. She eventually warmed up (like the last ten minutes of the class), and had a really good time.

I signed her up for a summer session. I originally intended on doing it on a day that I DIDN'T have a sitter, so I could essentially kill some time. However, I can't really get on the floor and participate with Mia in a pouch. So we are going to take a class on a day that Eileen is here. Mia can stay with Eileen and Sophie and I will go to class.

Sophie swung from the bar like Boots the Monkey, ran around, played 'soccer' and 'basketball' and then caught bubbles. At the end she got pig stamps on her hands and feet. All in all, she had a blast, but was pretty overstimulated by the time we got home (it was a 6:45pm class). Her new one will be in the morning.

I have a friend that lives in AZ and she said that she takes her kiddo to LG. Have you thought about taking Reeve? BTW - how is he feeling?

hugs

-m

almostamom
06-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Marisa,

Oh, it sounds like she had a BLAST!!! I cracked up at "Hurricane Sophie" because she looks like such a sweet, quiet little mouse in her avatar :) I'm sure she will love getting to go just with Mommy and having Mia stay at home with Eileen. I know what you mean though about wanting to kill some time. Some days (especially in summer) I get a bad case of cabin fever.

When does the summer session begin in NJ? I just checked on the Little Gym locations near us (thanks for mentioning it). The closest one to us is about 25 miles, but the summer session started 3 weeks ago. Can you join mid-session? I guess it doesn't matter because that location doesn't have a class for the itty-bitties. He would have to be 10 mos. for their youngest class. We live in a community that has its own classes (sports, dance, mommy & me, etc.) I just need to get off my tush and get him registered. It's been hard for me to get going in the mornings but I did just sign up for the local Moms Club so that's a start. I need some grown up interaction :)

Reeve is back to his old self again today -- you're so sweet to ask. He ate like a horse today and kept it all down. He was growling and yelling all day so I'm sure he's feeling much better! :) I meant to ask you (and forgive me for sounding so ignorant) but how do you get Mia to eat toast? I know it's tiny pieces, but if I even cut up a cheerio into 3 or 4 little pieces he gags. He loves his oatmeal thick so I don't think it's necessarily a "texture" issue. I'm just afraid he's going to get bored with what I'm feeding him since it's so limited (I'm allegeric to bananas, avocados, melons, etc. so we can't give him any of those yet).

Have a great night. Don't stay up too late, girlie!

Hugs,
~Linda~
DS 11/04

Marisa6826
06-22-2005, 01:05 AM
The sessions started last week, so they just deducted the $30 off what I paid, so I can start next week. There's a $40 family annual membership charge, but I think it's worth it. The one I went to was incredibly clean, the employees very, very nice. I think it's worth it.

They have a 'bugs' class for Mia, but I think I'm going to hold off for now. There's not much she can do short of eating her feet and rolling over. I can get her to do that for free at home ;).

LOL. Mia doesn't eat toast yet. Sophie does though. She likes it with raspberry jam and a little butter. You can also try soaking it in milk or water to make it mushy first. Mia LOVES apples. I slice one up and hold it meat side down for her. She grates on it with her two teeth. She screams and hollers if I take it away. It's pretty hilarious.

I took a bunch of pics the other day. Need to upload. There are a couple hilarious ones of Sophie - she learned to 'wink' and is showing off in a few of them.

A very, very good friend of mine recently moved to AZ. For the life of me, I can't remember where. She is really looking for new friends too. Her little guy will be a year old in Sept.

She's in a suburb of Scottsdale. Is that far from you?

-m