PDA

View Full Version : GPS Recommendations & Denver Relocation Reassurance

hannah
06-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Does anyone have a GPS unit that they like and is easy to use? DH has an old unit which I think is made by Garmin. It's big and old and slow. DH's birthday is coming up and I thought he might like a new one. Plus I think it might come in handy during our cross country drive this summer when we relocate to Denver.

Oh - and does anyone have any feedback on the Denver area? DH just accepted a job in downtown Denver. I have never even been to CO! We think we will end up living in a southern suburb. Are there any Denver area moms who can offer advice: where to live that's within 30-40 minute commute of downtown? where are the good schools? Anything else that I should know about Denver?

Thanks!

hez
06-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Don't live there, but we just got back from a trip out there this weekend. You're going to love it-- we love it every time we visit no matter what season-- too bad our company doesn't have a plant out that way!

I'll let the Denver moms fill you in, but I'd be there in a heartbeat :)

mamicka
06-21-2005, 02:48 PM
I just sent you an email. Sorry it took me so long.

Allison
DS #1 6/03
DS #2 4/05

amp
06-21-2005, 03:37 PM
I don't know the area personally, as I've only visited briefly, but I do have family in Highlands Ranch, CO, which is a burb of Denver. They used to live in Lakewood (I think), but they moved and are thrilled w/ where they are, although I can't say I know a lot about the schools. My SIL was a teacher though, so I can't imagine she picked a terrible school system. I could certainly try to find out more if you were interested.

I know nothing at all about GPS systems, but Garmin's headquartered here and they are growing like mad! Likely you will find lots of newer models made by them!

californiagirl
06-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Don't know much about Denver, but we have a Magellan Roadmate 700 and really like it. It has all the US maps already in it (no downloading) and we are even able to say "find me the nearest Trader Joe's"! Sometimes I find the wait to find a satellite annoying, though.

Twin Mom
06-21-2005, 03:53 PM
I think DH just got the same GPS unit as the PP - Magellan 700. BJ's has a coupon for it this week only for $100 off making it $750 which DH said is about the same price as it is online. He told me it has gotten very good reviews and he has been enjoying using it since he bought it on Sunday. I believe he has 30 days to return it. He had previously bought some GPS software to use with his IPAQ and it was so bad it went back to the store within days. Of course it was much cheaper than the Magellan model but I guess you get what you pay for.

cmo
06-21-2005, 03:53 PM
I was in Denver last month, and my hotel had a copy of Denver's local magazine, 5280 (May issue, they also have a website). There was an article that talked about various suburbs, giving positives & negatives, price ranges, and what makes each place unique. I still have it if you would like me to scan it or mail it to you. A lot will depend on your price range and how big a house you'll need, and what neighborhood features are important to you. One person I know who lives in Denver reluctantly had to move from the city proper to a suburb, because her family was growing and they couldn't afford anything they liked intown.

It's a very nice place to live, IMHO, so enjoy!

Chris

sidmand
06-21-2005, 04:19 PM
I have the Garmin Street Pilot 2610 and I guess I'd give it a mixed review.

Pros
It's portable--you can use it in any car and transfer between cars
Can hold a lot of data
Easy to use
Reroutes/corrects quickly (if you miss the street, etc.)

Cons
Takes awhile to boot up (sometimes it can't find you for awhile which makes it tricky when you need to know whether to turn left or right immediately!)
Need to download all the states/data you need
Not all listings are labelled in the GPS the way they're labelled IRL and so it doesn't always find them

It has been mostly great for me because, as many relatives have said, I would get lost in a paper bag. But it has been a bit frustrating at times when it doesn't catch up to me when I need it to or can't find a store when I know it's right there.

HTH

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

hannah
06-21-2005, 04:30 PM
I just sent you an email!
Thanks.

calebsmama03
06-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Hannah -
I've only got a sec since Miss P is fussing right now but wanted to first say YAY on another BBBer moving to Denver! I live in the same suburb ANdrea's brother lives in (South) and am happy to offer any info. Feel free to PM or e-mail me and I'll try to offer some insights when I have a quiet moment here :) We're also currently house hunting so I can offer insights on prices in the various south suburbs, schools, etc. Also have a nice real estate agent if you need one.

ETA - I moved here from Chicago 7 yrs ago and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!

Gotta run - more later
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, Sophia Grace 5/18/05