PDA

View Full Version : Clueless mom question - Which doctor to call for all the mommy woes?

anamika
06-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi,
The other thread on PPD nudged me into asking some questions I've had for a while - I was wondering which doctor is right to call for all the problems we have after we have the baby?
there was a thread recently on incontinence and there was mention of a lot of available treatments etc. I had an episiotomy and surgery for a fissure (seriously, how can one person have so much fun?) so I'm definitely in the market for some treatments. Is this a job for the OB or PCP? It's going to be embarassing enough to call once - I'm not doing it twice!!
Also what about things like thrush, mastitis etc? PCP or OB or ped?
TIA,

usfrph
06-21-2005, 05:35 PM
I had clogged ducts and I called my OB's nurseline.
They said I could come in for it (I never did because it cleared up by nursing DC like crazy).

Momof3Labs
06-21-2005, 07:42 PM
My OB always took care of my mastitis. Anything related to childbirth or nursing (female parts in general, I guess lol), IMO, should start with your OB.

smilequeen
06-21-2005, 07:46 PM
My OB has always taken care of my mastitis (yes, always...I've had it 3 times so far :() Anything else with my breasts or post childbirth stuff, I'd probably call her too, although I'm sure my FP guy could take care of it, I just have a preference for discussing those things with a woman :)

dr mom
06-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Either an PCP or OB will be able to handle thrush, mastitis, or other breast problems.

While I'm a big fan of primary care since that's what I do for a living, I have to agree with the PP's here that I would definitely see an OB for incontinence issues instead of your PCP. There are some medications that help treat urge incontinence, but for stress incontinence (which is what most of us have to some degree after childbirth) there aren't any meds...so all a PCP can really do is tell you to do Kegals and more Kegals. If that doesn't work they'll refer you to an OB or urologist for surgery or a pessary, so might as well just start with the OB in the first place.

ETA: I read a great article on treating incontinence a few months ago, and while it's written for physicians, it's not a terribly difficult read. There is a great table on the difference between stress and urge incontinence, and it talks about some of the treatments. http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050115/315.html