PDA

View Full Version : Is the Braun ThermoScan Ear Thermometer a good product?

deborah_r
06-21-2005, 05:41 PM
I picked this up at Costco about a month ago, and have not done anything with it really. I wanted something that was quicker and easier than our cheapie digital thermometer that we use for DS as a rectal thermometer. He really strarted objecting to that last time he was sick.

My ped recommended an ear therm. over the kind that you run across the forehead, so that was why I got this one, but since I didn't research this product, I haven't been totally comfortable with my purchase.

ddmarsh
06-21-2005, 07:45 PM
We recently moved from the ear to the temporal thermometer and I love it. It is so much easier to get a good reading, I felt like the ear one was so inconsistent. I think Costco had them for about $30.00.

wagner36
06-21-2005, 07:50 PM
We have it and we love it. I must preface all of this by saying that we avoided taking a rectal temp until he was 19 months old. He never felt warm, so we never really needed to take a temperature of any kind (actually, maybe under the arm once when he was really little), so we weren't being negligent, but we had never done it until Christmas Eve of 2004. I'll never forget. He got sick, we had to do the rectal, and we bought the ear thermometer the next day at the only Walgreen's that was open on x-mas.

I researched it a bit, and I think it is very reliable. The first 5 times we used it, we took both the ear and the rectal (and I did my own ear with it, and took an oral on me), and they were always within .1 of each other. Now, if his fever is over 103 or something, I'll probably double-check with a rectal, but for lower fevers, I feel totally confident with the ear thermometer.

wagner36
06-21-2005, 07:50 PM
We have it and we love it. I must preface all of this by saying that we avoided taking a rectal temp until he was 19 months old. He never felt warm, so we never really needed to take a temperature of any kind (actually, maybe under the arm once when he was really little), so we weren't being negligent, but we had never done it until Christmas Eve of 2004. I'll never forget. He got sick, we had to do the rectal, and we bought the ear thermometer the next day at the only Walgreen's that was open on x-mas.

I researched it a bit, and I think it is very reliable. The first 5 times we used it, we took both the ear and the rectal (and I did my own ear with it, and took an oral on me), and they were always within .1 of each other. Now, if his fever is over 103 or something, I'll probably double-check with a rectal, but for lower fevers, I feel totally confident with the ear thermometer.

alkagift
06-21-2005, 07:58 PM
I think it is much more reliable with an older child or a toddler than an infant. My ped told me that due to the shape of the ear and the ear canal, you can't get a good reading with it on a child under 2.

Rectal thermometers are NO FUN, especially on infants who have the tendency to poo everywhere while screaming at you. It's necessary, though, if you're worried.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

Mikesa3
06-21-2005, 09:51 PM
I 2nd the temporal artery one. I bought mine at Walmart for about $33. I had been wanting one for awhile after reading about them here so was happy when Walmart started selling them. You hold it against the forehead ,turn it on, then move it across the forehead to the temple. Fast and accurate,plus can be done when they are asleep.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

8isenough
06-21-2005, 09:54 PM
We have the temporal thermometer by exergen. We have been very happy with it and it is much more accurate than the ear type.

Sterling

macassi
06-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Personally, I can't stand the thing. Every time I use it, I take multiple readings, and they all vary by a degree or more! For that accuracy, I'm just as good (if not better) judging for myself with my hand on the forehead. I've actually gotten quite good at "reading" temperatures and don't often feel the need to take them.

Having said that, I did buy the temporal thermometer and really like it. It's quick and gives consistent readings. I feel that I can really trust it where I never knew what to do with the other one.

kensjen
06-21-2005, 11:46 PM
We received this as a shower gift, and we never use it! I guess I should have taken it back.

It has been really inconsistent, and just a PITA. Maybe it will work better when he is a bit older, and I haven't tried it on him in awhile anyway. But for the money, I would pass on it. Not worth it.

I would get the temporal one if I had to do it again, and may still get it.

Marisa6826
06-21-2005, 11:57 PM
The ear ones are notoriously inaccurate. The temporal scanners are much better. What's good about the temporal ones is that you can stick it behind the ear and get a really good reading if you can't get the learning curve of going across the forehead.

They have the temporal one at Costco for about $30.

Do a search and you will find a bunch of threads about it.

-m

bunnisa
06-22-2005, 08:19 AM
>The ear ones are notoriously inaccurate. The temporal
>scanners are much better. What's good about the temporal ones
>is that you can stick it behind the ear and get a really good
>reading if you can't get the learning curve of going across
>the forehead.
>
>They have the temporal one at Costco for about $30.
>
>Do a search and you will find a bunch of threads about it.
>
>-m

I didn't know that about putting it behind the ear! that would make it even easier. Thanks!

Bethany
mom to William 6/03
and another little one due late Feb '06!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png

Marisa6826
06-22-2005, 08:44 AM
yep. the directions say you can get an accurate reading by putting the sensor just behind the earlobe. if you feel for it, there's a little 'hollow' there.

-m

jk3
06-22-2005, 10:24 AM
I agree. We tried it on ourselves and the multiple readings varied greatly. I find it to be highly inaccurate.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png