PDA

View Full Version : To swim or not to swim...WWYD?

mommy_someday
06-21-2005, 08:39 PM
DS and I are taking our first trip away this weekend. We leave on Thursday to go to my aunt's house 5 hours away for a girls' weekend with my relatives. My aunt lives near a lake and has a houseboat. My mom is really excited for Luke to go swimming for the first time, but I'm REALLY leery of it for so many reasons.

1) He is only five months old, so he can't wear sunscreen yet. I got him a giant flappy hat and I'm not planning to have him in the sun for a long time, but he has my fair skin...

2) It's a lake, not a chlorine-treated swimming pool. Who knows how many millions of microbes are in the water! What if he swallows some of the water? Blech!

3) I've swum in lakes before and on many occasions, I've encountered snakes or tiny fish that like to nibble. I know I always say that he's so cute, I could just eat him up, but snakes and fish? That's a little much!

4) You never know when there's going to be a drop-off. I'm afraid of holding him while I *think* I'm standing in the shallow area but then losing my footing and sending us both under water.

I know first-time parents are notorious for being over-the-top when worrying about things. Luke loves playing in the water in the bathtub, but that's all the exposure he's had. I know he'd enjoy splashing in the lake, but I am terrified that something bad will happen. Am I being over-protective or is it smart to not even take him in the water? WWYD?

Thanks for your input!

dr mom
06-21-2005, 11:19 PM
If you're going to be anxious and stressed the whole time he's in the water with you, I think you're better off not doing it. You don't want to communicate that fear to him, and babies are very sensitive to their parents' moods and body language - if you're too fearful to relax, then he probably won't enjoy himself either, KWIM?

I took DS swimming at that age, but only in a friend's pool, and then only for very short intervals of 15 minutes or so. I was also worried about sun exposure, and loss of body heat in the cool water. He loved it and had a great time splashing (so we both swallowed some water, LOL) but it was a very controlled environment.

I don't think a lake is necessarily an unsafe place to swim with your DS, but it sounds like you'd be happier in a pool where you can see the bottom. And I've used the "paranoid first-time parent" excuse LOTS of times to get out of doing things I didn't really want to do...it's a proud tradition! ;)

Don't forget that the glare from the sun coming off the water can also cause sunburn, so a hat may not be sufficient protection for your DS, especially if you are spending a lot of time on the boat.

amp
06-22-2005, 07:43 AM
If it were me, I wouldn't swim, per se, but I might sit with him in the very shallow water and then go right back to the shade again when it got too sunny/hot for us. I wouldn't feel comfortable going in where he could be swallowing water, you could be stumbling, etc. So I would only do it if there were a little beachy area to hang out it, where you can see what's in the water there.

But really, just do what you feel comfortable with. Your job is not to make everyone else feel comfortable with your decisions. You are the mama.

ETA: And fwiw, I think you can use sunscreen on babies under 6 mths, but if I remember correctly, they prefer you to use physical sunblock ingredients rather than chemical ones. I don't know specifically what you look for, but it might be worth looking into. And get something w/ less fragrance for sensitive skin (We use Neutrogena for Sensitive Skin).

KrisM
06-22-2005, 07:49 AM
I would probably not swim. DS loves his bath, but the first time we went in the pool, he cried and was very clingy to me. He is fine now, but you just never know how he'll react.

I'd probably just sit in shallow water and let him splash around.

I would also put sunscreen on him. Last summer DS was only a few months old and I decided that those times where we were in the sun a lot, I would use sunscreen. Everything I read said it's okay for infants in certain situations. There were times when long pants and lots of shade were just not possible and I didn't want to risk a sunburn.

Here is the official AAP policy on sunscreen: http://www.aap.org/advocacy/archives/augsun.htm
It includes "A new policy statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) on the dangers of sun exposure says that it may be safe to use sunscreen on infants younger than 6 months of age when adequate clothing and shade are not available".

I hope that helps.

Wife_and_mommy
06-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Hmmm... I was going to say I'm with you since it's a lake but pp's are right. You don't have to go diving with him. A few minutes on the edge are probably all he'll need. You don't have to spend an hour out there. If even that will make you uncomfortable, then I wouldn't do it.

Have fun! :)

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

Our second morsel due early February 2006!

kellyotn
06-22-2005, 08:29 AM
I think I'd put some baby sunscreen on him anyways. I think my ped said that if he's healthy and thriving, he'd recommend it on occasion. Maybe call yours and ask. The rays coming off the water, even if you stay on shore are intense. :-)

aliceinwonderland
06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I put sunscreen on DS and he "swam" in the Mediterranean when he was 3 months old.

e.

edited to add quotation marks around "swam", as it sounds like Erik learned to swim on his own at 3 months. LOL.

DebbieJ
06-22-2005, 09:58 AM
I'd put sunscreen on him and, like Andrea said, hang out where you know it's shallow.

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

tarahsolazy
06-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Another sun protection option is a surfer "rash-guard" style t-shirt. They are made out of swimsuit material, and offer some small degree of protection. Some are acually made of SPF materials. I got one for DS at Old Navy for $8, and I like it.

mommy_someday
06-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Okay, I got the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin sunscreen with the titanium dioxide (or whatever!) in it as a physical sunblock. He'll have the floppy hat on along with sunglasses - provided they stay on - but with glare from the water, I don't know if that will keep his face protected. Can I put the sunblock on his face? And if so, is there a special way to do it?

Thanks!

amp
06-23-2005, 02:14 PM
We do put sunscreen on his face, and I think you're right to be concerned about the glare from the water. My son is quite a bit older than your son, but you are so close to the deadline for sunscreen, that I would suspect (not an expert) that you'd be safer to sunscreen his face to protect him, rather than taking a chance of not doing it.

I usually just get a bit on my fingers and rub tiny amounts on his cheeks, nose, forehead chin and I make sure I get his ears (the tops especially!) and his neck (front and back). There are also sunscreen sticks (not in this brand) that are easier to apply to squirmy babies. I think we have the Water Babies brand, but I don't honestly know if that is the physical sunblock or chemical. But it is easier to put on without getting in the eyes. I usually just use the Neutrogena now and try to get a good bit on him a little at a time. Otherwise I end up with it in his hair, eyes, etc.

Good luck!

tiapam
06-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Well, his first time doesn't have to be for a long time - just long enough for a photo opportunity. After that, see how you feel.

FYI, you can buy a sling that is good for taking babies in the water. I don't actually know much more about it, but I am sure someone else will chime in. You can also do a search in the archives or post in another forum. I think the fabric often used for these is called Solarveil.

HTH.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004