PDA

View Full Version : A valentine to BBB

american_mama
06-22-2005, 12:18 AM
I have been on vacation for the last week or so with kiddos sleeping in the room with the computer, so I haven't been on the boards at all. I really missed the community of concerned and well-researched mamas on these boards. I read a local email group for parents that has had some pretty superficial discussion lately about VBACs, immunization safety, and child safety, and those so-so discussions made me really appreciate the level of thought that goes into comments here on BBB. It's ironic that I know and trust some of you "strangers" better than internet parents who are in my own town.

I hope this doesn't come across wrong, but I also wanted to say somewhat jokingly that BBB can be a curse in ways. I was proud of myself for breaking my daily BBB habit while on vacation, even if it was by necessity more than choice. I also ended my vacation at my sister's, where 8 kids (inlcuding neighbors) were streaming in and out of the house, and I constantly was feeling like everything was unsafe. I couldn't get that BBB attitude of caution and concern out my mind and I had to stop saying, "I don't think that's safe" lest my sister decide I was the biggest drag.

I have learned a lot from people on this board and thank everyone for the time and thought they put into it. You're a fun, thoughtful, and committed group of people.

kijip
06-22-2005, 02:08 AM
ITA- this board has been invaluable for me but a bit addictive! Welcome back from vacation!

jbowman
06-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Very eloquently stated, Karen! And it's great to "see" you back!

DebbieJ
06-22-2005, 10:31 AM
WB, Karen!

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

babymama
06-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Glad you're back. A blessing and a curse is right - I feel the same way. Nevertheless, I am so happy to have come across the boards. I'm a better mother for it.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

marinkitty
06-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Welcome back, Karen. I spend a lot less time on the boards lately than I used to, and rarely post b/c I always have only one hand free, but I really miss it and it is my "fix" - I race to the computer if both kids are sleeping or in the evening if DH is home and can take Jack. It has become a big part of my life - even more so after meeting and becomming friends with so many of the local mamas and those I met at the last two retreats!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)