PDA

View Full Version : Is Your On-line Name an Alias?

August Mom
06-22-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm just curious whether you disclose your on-line name(s) on forms asking for all aliases or other names you are known by, particularly government forms. I think it's an interesting question, because I don't feel like August Mom is really an alias, but yet if some of you were questioned, you wouldn't know me by any other name. Anyway, I'm just wondering what you think about this and whether you disclose it.

amp
06-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Nope, never even occured to me to. But then again, my real name is all over my posts and although people do refer to me as "amp" and to DH as "Mr. amp" (even in emails and in person!), they do know my real name.

aliceinwonderland
06-22-2005, 09:21 AM
It never occured to me to do so...I think people would think I'm nuts if I were to say "aliceinwonderland" is what I'm otherwise known by. But you guys know my name...

PS. If INS had a greater sense of humor, and if I were braver, I suppose I could have put in my recent citizenship application "aliceinwonderland" and, under "visits outside to the US" : down the rabbit hole.

LOL

lukkykatt
06-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Hee hee. When I was at the retreat, when I introduced myself as Andrea, a few people asked if I was you.

elliput
06-22-2005, 11:49 AM
I would have never thought of a screen name as an alias, but it probably is legally. Interesting.... something to keep in mind down the road.

hez
06-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Nope. But I've used it on my license plate in the past, so it wouldn't be hard to figure it out if someone wanted to know :)

Saartje
06-22-2005, 12:14 PM
IANAL, but I really doubt a screen name is legally considered an alias. An alias would be something you were putting forth as your name; a screen name is usually obviously not your name and not intended to represent you in any legal context.

amp
06-22-2005, 01:36 PM
That's funny! When I introduced my DH at the Chicago retreat, everyone just called him Mr. amp, and it's stuck! They still call him that!

jubilee
06-22-2005, 02:33 PM
I don't think "jubilee" would be an alias because I sign my posts with my real name, Julie. However, there are people here that sign their name with a FAKE name- in that case, I think that would be an alias.

babymama
06-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Really? It never occurred to me to use a fake name.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

lmintzer
06-22-2005, 04:26 PM
When I first started posting on these boards years ago, no one wa using the Lounge for such personal posts and to form personal connnections. I would have never used my last name as part of my screen name. Sometimes, I hestitate to post on particular subjects just because of this. I feel too identified, if you know what I mean. I have two IRL friends who post, and it's not them I'm hiding from. I just don't know who the heck is lurking and reading my posts. I hope that doesn't sound paranoid.

aliceinwonderland
06-22-2005, 04:29 PM
I have the same paranoia... I wish very old posts would get purged. You can google our threads, you know. God knows who's lurking. DH tells me all the time to be careful what i post, yet I'm right here in the open :)

It would never occur to me to use a fake name, as it is very easy to use an initial in one's signature, for what it's worth :)

e.