PDA

View Full Version : Signers...how's it going??

Judegirl
06-22-2005, 09:51 AM
It's been a few weeks since I've read an update on how signing is going with everyone. Any progress? Or has talking taken over?

:)
Jude

aliceinwonderland
06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
no signing and no talking ;)

well, edited to say he knows the signs for eat, milk, more and ball, but uses them only when he feel like (or when I do the sign). He also says "doggy" and "daddy", but again, when he feels like it, not just when there's a dad or dog present.

e.

tarahsolazy
06-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Forrest has learned three new signs in the past week! He is also doing one that I can't figure out, LOL, which may be "drink" or "all done". Hard to tell. But, he definately started signing "eat", "more" and "bird".

We were at a pub in Portland last Sat, which has lots of windows into the brewery area, which is decorated with lots of chickens, for some reason. He was staring in there, and just looked at me, and signed bird! We were with friends, so everyone made a big fuss, and he kept doing it.

He now has bird, dog, more, milk, and eat. (and the one I can't figure out). He also shakes his head no and yes.

No talking yet.

babymama
06-22-2005, 11:08 AM
We started signing w/ Santiago at about 10 months.

Now at 19 months he has a signing vocabulary of about 30-35 words. He has a spoken vocabulary of about 7-10 words.

I can't list all the signs here that he does bc there are too many. He;s made up a sign for "hold me/pick me up" - patting his chest with his fingers. He is now sometimes attempting to say the word as he signs it - only with a couple of signs...full (sounds like foo) is one that comes to mind.

I remember reading here on the boards when I first started signing with Santiago that kids sometimes get confused when words sound like signs that they know...the example was a child signing "please" for the word "police". That's happen to us now too! DS signs "bear" for "berries" - strawberries and blueberries.

Too cute!
Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

linsei
06-22-2005, 11:11 AM
MORE last night at dinner! We were so excited.

Not much talking going on here. Still just woof and dadadadadada. He points to lights and says the "ts" part, but that doesn't count IMO.

Linda

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040428/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

ellies mom
06-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Well, other than asking to go to Starbucks, she only uses a few signs, even though she knows several others. She uses "more", "eat" and DH and I finally recognized "finished". She also uses "banana" when she sees one, but doesn't actually like them. The rest the just shows you when you ask.

We just got Signing Times 2 from the library, mostly she is just saying the new words. We'll see how that goes.

Raidra
06-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Colwyn's signing is still really good. He's probably got about 40 or so.. last time I counted it was at 35, and I know he's added some since. His newest ones are bath, all gone, help, and a sign he made up for hammer (he practically punches himself in the head.. go figure).

His talking is finally taking off, after much worrying on my part. He's got several new words, and while his verbal vocabulary is still relatively low, he's making lots of progress. Plus, he likes to tell us stories, and will string a mix of about 5 words and signs. Normally it's something like this: Mommy (verbal & signed), Daddy (signed), train (verbal), car (signed), Mommy (verbal & signed), beep-beep (verbal). Which translates to: Mommy, we took Daddy to the train in the car which Mommy makes go beep-beep. :) He'll also tell us how he helped his grandfather hammer (all signed - grandfather, help, hammer).

KrisM
06-22-2005, 01:15 PM
No talking yet. Signs are coming slowly. I keep waiting for that explosion I've read about :). He apparently wants a bath every day, since he really likes signing that.

Judegirl
06-22-2005, 01:34 PM
LOL, Kris! Riordan likes the sign for banana, so I have wasted (or eaten!) SO many bananas lately...!

Jude

amazz
06-22-2005, 01:34 PM
We just started last week with milk, more, and eat. I think she already recognizes milk b/c she gets very excited and dives for the boob, lol. I can't wait until she can actually sign back to me. That will be a very exciting day indeed!

Angela
Mama to Kami Allyse (10/10/04)http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/love/luvlove.gif[/IMG]
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

ribbit1019
06-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Maddy signs, more, eat, all gone, milk, dog. She is trying to perfect cat and sleep. But does meow which is very cute.

She says baby, un (one), mama, dad, diggle, uh-oh and OOOOO!. What Diggle means I have no idea. But she says it like it should mean something.

That is about all. I just got ST 1-6 off the swap so hopefully that will help with variety. She is a gemini, very eager to communicate...

Christy
Maddy aka "Diggle"

Maddy says "Uh-oh and OOOoooOOO!"

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

californiagirl
06-22-2005, 01:50 PM
DD signs "more", "all done", "dog", "bird", and "shoes". I think she's going to have "cracker" and "bear" soon, since I learned the trick of signing them on her when I'm holding her; she's starting to imitate them. She has way more words than signs, but the signs are more useful to her, because the words pretty much sound alike -- I mean she has "ball", "balloon", "baby", "bubble", "book", and "bird" and I can only tell them apart with context, while "more" and "shoes" are the only confusable signs she does. If she learns "cracker" and "baby" we'll be in good shape, because those words are just like "quack" and "bubble".

She did manage to show me that a shaggy rug was like a dog the other day, I thought that was pretty cool.

aim
06-22-2005, 02:16 PM
My DSs signing has really taken off in the last few weeks - for the longest time he only signed Milk, More, All Done, and Bath. All of a sudden he has like 50 signs - and he appears to be trying to sign the letters of the alphabet. We just realized last week that he knew the letters of the alphabet while my husband was practicing his A,B,C 's with me and Ben started saying them along (we were not talking at all). It is really quite amazing to watch his vocab grow. Oh, he is also quite the talker - although not all of the same words that he signs.

Amy
Bennett 1-14-04

Wife_and_mommy
06-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Okay. Since I'm posting about soap operas I should spend a few minutes posting about child development. :P (I'm not nauseous to the point of suicide at the moment)

DD's signs: doggy, music, please, alldone, more, eat, telephone, banana

DD's spoken words: all done, please, thank you, hello, bye-bye, dada, mama, banana

I've started a list and this is what I've come up with so far. I've always worried because I'm not a big talker. She's definitley taking after her daddy there. ;)

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

Our second morsel due early February 2006!

icunurse
06-22-2005, 03:58 PM
DS has FINALLY started to sign back (it was lonely being the one doing all the signing!). His signs include: more, all done, milk, dog, baby, kitty, ball; understands eat, drink, water, cracker. Weird how the kid can act out "the wheels on the bus....", but we struggle for every sign. I just bought the flash cards to use along with ST videos and, so far, he really likes them.

Connor babbles constantly and I am sure he is telling me things of great importance ;) He'll toss me a "mama" every now and then, but I think he prefers to torture me by not saying it. Dada, kitty, baby, ball are current favorites.

Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

murpheyblue
06-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Funny you should ask because DH just made a list of signs that DD does with regularity and I added a few he had missed and we came up with over 100. At 21 months, she is talking up a storm but she still uses her signs a lot and often uses them along with the word.

AvasMama
06-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Ava knew about 35 signs at 14 months (last time I actually tried to track them) and I'd say she's doubled that in the past three months. She is talking a ton, though, so sometimes she uses signs, sometimes words, and sometimes both. I would guess that she says 75-100 words (though we are often the only ones who understand her!).

Robyn & Ava

lisaE
06-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Connor signs about 20 words now. Still no spoken words, aside from lots of babbling.

The plus is that he can tell me just what he wants. That's also the drawback. He had a freak-out today at the play area because he kept signing "grapes" and I didn't have any to give him. He was very emphatic in his signing, like "Don't you see that I want grapes?!"

It's so amazing when they do a new one, isn't it?

mudder17
06-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Hmm...okay, she now knows the signs for

more
bird
dog
cat (sort of)
hat
baby
ball
milk/nursing
bye-bye

She says
Shoes
Dog
Quack/Du (duck)
Chee (cheese)
T' (toast/crackers)

Still doesn't reliably say Da-da or Ma-ma, sigh.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

ilovetivo
06-22-2005, 10:09 PM
We just started last week. I know "they" say only start w/ 3 words, but can we start with more? I was doing 4: more, milk, up, change. She started w/ cereal this week so I thought about adding eat, but not sure if we're doing too much. What do you all think?

dr mom
06-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Jared is 16 months and has around 20 signs he uses consistently. His favorites have always been the ones to do with food (eat, more, milk, banana) animals (dog, bird, bear) and water. If he wants water, sees someone else drinking water, spots a puddle of water, or hears the sound of running water, he signs "water water water" with enormous enthusiasm. Recently he's also learned to say "yes" and "no" - not surprisingly, NO is his new favorite sign, typical toddler. ;)

He has his own "version" of signs - water, for example, he signs closer to his forehead than his chin - sign language baby talk I guess. His speech is still mostly unintelligible, but when he says duh duh duh he usually signs simultaneously so I know whether he's trying to talk to me about the dog or Daddy.

Moneypenny
06-23-2005, 09:20 AM
She signed Daddy last night for the first time ever. Actually, she doesn't get her hand to her forehead but just sticks her arm straight out (think "Heil Hitler" arm movement). It's very exciting! She doesn't say anything yet, but when we ask "Where's Daddy", she now looks at him and sticks her arm up in the air. She did it this morning, too.

Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04