PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of fruit flies?

babymama
06-22-2005, 11:21 AM
They're in my kitchen (near sink). I have cleaned - thoroughly, several times now. I'm not leaving out anything for them to eat. I've thrown away all sponges. I've poured boiling water down the drain (garbage disposal). I cleaned again. I cleaned out the frig, the microwave, the counters, the cabinets, taken out the trash. The problem won;t go away and we've been dealing with it for 2 weeks. Getting tired of this. Anyone have a solution? I'm willing to try almost anything. It;s disgusting. I looked online before coming here and couldn't find anything.

I called the exterminator and they can't help bc it;s not a crawling bug. They may try to sell he something that commercial kitchens use, but they haven't told me how much it costs yet and I have a feeling it ain't cheap.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

m448
06-22-2005, 11:27 AM
I've had luck with setting out a small cup or bowl with about 1/4 cup of cider vinegar (or white wine) then a scant layer on top of vegetable oil. The flies are drawn to the vinegar/wine but get caught and drown in the oil.

Mamma2004
06-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Lydia, I've heard that for the fruit flies you can set out a cup of bleach but I've never tried it. I'm too afraid to leave bleach lying around!

Forgive me for jumping on and expanding the question. We have gotten rid of virtually EVERYTHING in the cupboards but we still have those darned moths that thrive in cereal, crackers, etc. Please HELP!!!

Stephanie

mamaturk
06-22-2005, 12:07 PM
I remember hearing about leaving a beer bottle out with a little vinegar in the bottom of the bottle, I guess those bugs can't figure out how to get out once they have flown in. Good Luck!

urquie
06-22-2005, 12:16 PM
i'm battling those darn indian meal moths too - they are driving me nuts!!!! they also like dried fruit and nuts and chocolate :( sure hate to have to throw them away but when you open a bag and see the little larvae squirming around it's pretty gross. from what i've read the basic option is to seal everything really well... like in plastic containers. i think i'll have to buy some today to save all my yummy baking stuff. i now keep a dust buster close by (but in the garage in case they can get out) so i can vacuum up a moth as soon as i see one.

i would love more ideas on how to get rid of the indian meal moths too!

Mamma2004
06-22-2005, 12:22 PM
I have heard that those horrible moths can go through plastic so my baking supplies are all in stainless steel canisters with lids that suction shut. I store nuts in the freezer, dried fruit in the frig and I'm killing at least 6 of these little guys every day! My pasta looks fine, cereal is sealed up well and I've thrown out lots of other things. Now I only purchase what we'll eat right away but that's a hassle, KWIM?

PLEASE, someone, help all of us to get rid of those moths for good!

TIA,
Stephanie

Mamma2004
06-22-2005, 01:23 PM
VINEGAR! That's the cabinet the moths keep raiding so maybe I'll try scrubbing down my vinegar bottles - again! - and moving them elsewhere for a few days. I wonder if that could really be attracting them!

Ugh, please keep the suggestions coming!

pritchettzoo
06-22-2005, 02:00 PM
I hate the moths!! We have this problem too. You can buy pantry moth traps at Home Depot or at a DIY bug killing store. Some baking catalogs have them as well. Then you stick them in there and they'll go away. The traps smell a little funny but work! Don't forget to check ALL the boxes in your pantry. Ours were living in the Ziploc and garbage bag boxes we got from Costco. We had to throw out 3 huge boxes of Ziplocs and one of garbage bags. x( They live in the cardboard and eat the glue or some such nastiness.

As far as preventing them once you get rid of them--supposedly you put the flour, etc. in the freezer for three days before you put it in your pantry. That kills off the little boogers.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

babymama
06-22-2005, 04:12 PM
I just spoke to the exterminator. The guy I spoke with believes that what I have is called a fungus gnat not a fruit fly. He said these bugs look like fruit flies but they thrive on the gunk that builds up in drains and love moisture - gross! These are common in overwatered plants and in drains. So they are coming on Friday.

In the meantime I'll try all of the home remedies listed here. I have to try something. They're driving me crazy!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

tigalig
06-22-2005, 08:51 PM
I had a couple of them a few weeks ago and this was my trick. I put a Bounce sheet on the counter and they were gone within a day. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence, but now I'm hoping they come back so that I can try it again and say for sure. HTH! :)