PDA

View Full Version : Color question

Globetrotter
06-22-2005, 03:54 PM
This is for a friend who is selling clothes online. Do you know if there is a chart that tells you the name of colors? Sometimes it gets confusing. Like burgundy vs. maroon, fuchsia vs. magenta, plum vs. violet, etc..

I have found a few that pertain to HTML codes, but I was wondering if there is anything better out there, so they can represent it more accurately online. It could be either online or an IRL chart or book. TIA,

Kris

Marisa6826
06-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Well, Pantone is the cornerstone for colours used in most industries.

www.pantone.com

-m

hez
06-22-2005, 07:58 PM
You amaze me with your varied knowledge :) I've used Pantone colors in the past, but not for figuring out the colors of clothing!

Marisa6826
06-23-2005, 12:29 AM
LOL. I was a set design major back in college. I also worked for an ad agency and the Pantones were used for standardising the ads.

I LOVED playing with the Pantone fan decks. ;)

-m

octmom
06-23-2005, 07:31 AM
Am I a huge dork for wanting my own fan deck? I don't do anything remotely artistic for work (or avocationally), but I think they are so cool! :)

Ah, what fun it would be to be a talented interior designer and get to "play with" paint chips, fan decks, fabric swatches, etc.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-23-2005, 07:40 AM
As a former buyer for Abercrombie and Fitch I can tell you there is simply no standardization for what different companies call the colors. Our design dept simply called them whatever they wanted to- probably not the best system.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04

hez
06-23-2005, 08:15 AM
No way, dude! I got to play with one for awhile while I was trying to color match some materials... WAY too much fun. One of my best girl friends at church is an interior designer (lots of her clients have a lot more cash flow than we do!), and I know my house is the better for it :) A group of girls occasionally spends time before choir on Wednesday nights picking out paint colors for each others' houses, 'cause it's just so *fun* to play with paint chips & decks.

Marisa6826
06-23-2005, 08:16 AM
I used to work for an interior designer. It is fun ;) When we bought this house, you better believe it was in full time use - especially when buying fabrics.

Oh, and I do have my own fan deck of Benny Moore paints :P

BTW - You can order them from their website or sometimes get them from your paint store!

-m

Globetrotter
06-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks Marisa!! That's perfect.

Kris

Puddy73
06-23-2005, 11:43 AM
I've heard of using Crayola crayon colors as a guide because most people are familiar with them. HTH!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."