PDA

View Full Version : DS's leg got stuck in the crib!

KrisM
06-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Yesterday, I put DS in his crib so I could do a load of laundry. I could hear him crying, but I thought he was just complaining. Turns out, his right leg was stuck in the crib rails. His knee was bent and his knee was through the rails. I had to lay him on his back, with that leg in a weird bent position, and really push hard to get his knee out. Today, he has bruises on both sides of his knee :(.

Was he trying to climb out? I don't know. Is there something I can put in his crib that is safe, but would keep him from getting stuck again?

billysmommy
06-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Billy did this once a few months ago. He was getting ready to take his nap and I could hear him crying but thought it was his normal "settling down" crying. Five minutes later when he hadn't stopped, I went in and his leg was stuck. We finally got it out and for days afterwards, everytime he got in his crib he would say "no knee, no stuck. Bed, not nice" :)
He has never gotten stuck again though

bostonsmama
06-23-2005, 12:56 AM
I was going to say that if he hadn't learned his lesson (not that he did anything wrong per se...just in a cause/effect way), you could always try putting the crib bumper back in (a firm one tied tightly to the slats).

More boo-boos for mommy to kiss :).

L

Sillygirl
06-23-2005, 07:18 AM
Jonathan got his foot stuck once. . . never again. I'm so sorry your little guy has bruises but he's fine and I'll bet he won't try that too many more times.

MelissaTC
06-23-2005, 07:43 AM
Depends if your little guy is persistent...

Mine did that for awhile. He was trying to climb out. I was afraid he was going to break his leg or something and we moved him into a toddler bed. He was around 21 months at that time.

daniele_ut
06-23-2005, 09:24 AM
After Logan got his leg stuck 3 nights in a row, I bought breathable mesh bumpers and we've had no problems with stuck limbs since. I hate not being able to see him from the doorway when I check on him, though!

Wife_and_mommy
06-23-2005, 10:25 AM
This has happened to O several times. I'm pretty sure she's not trying to escape the crib. She gets her leg stuck just standing there even though her bumper is still in the crib.

She got her leg stuck once where it had marks from the bars on the front of her leg which was really scary. For the most part I make sure I check on her if the complaining crying lasts longer than usual.

They do make mesh bumpers that would probably help but I don't see it as a major problem. It's not as if we put her in the crib and say "see you next week".

Your DS's knee is probably bigger than O's but I am able to wiggle her leg out without any further harm than her being stuck. I'm sure he'll be okay though. :) FWIW, I've had a discussion with dh and she's staying in her crib until minimum of 3 years old unless there's some major unforeseen reason she should be out. Climbing out of her crib is not one of those.

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

Our second morsel due early February 2006!

KCR4
06-23-2005, 11:54 AM
I bought a Crib Liner (made of mesh) after this happened to DS #1. I now use it for DS #2. I believe the home business online that made them is no longer functioning (it was TenderCreations.com). But, I just saw one recently - very similar - in a catalog. I think it was One Step Ahead.

KrisM
06-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone. He did it again today, so I guess he didn't learn after that first time. I think he was trying to climb out, since climbing is his new thing - he was on the coffee table today :). We didn't use regular bumpers at all, and I think those would just aid him in climbing out. I'll look into the mesh ones and see if that would help.

mudder17
06-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Aww...Kaya sends Andrew hugs and kisses. :(

He may or may not been trying to get out, but there is an item made by the Crib Tent people that puts panels all the way around the crib so that the baby can't poke their legs and arms out. I haven't had to worry about this yet, but if Kaya ever had that problem, I'd get these panels in a heartbeat.

If you look on the bottom left of this link, you'll see the crib shield and the breathable bumper. Neither is too expensive.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=131448&path=0%3A5427%3A86325%3A131448

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

Wife_and_mommy
06-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Just as I was going to start a thread to see if anyone else's dc had turned into monkeys overnight! My dd is climbing anything that's not at floor level. She's going to give me a heart attack!!

Hope you're able to get ds to stay in his crib. :)

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

Our second morsel due early February 2006!