PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried these

bcky2
06-23-2005, 09:14 AM
i was just watching the news and they were talking about these videos to help kids read. has anyone here tried these or heard of them? the site is www.yourbabycanread.com they did have someone on tv who used them and her dd is 4 and can read. tia!

jk3
06-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Programs like this make my skin crawl. It is completely unneccessary to expose a young child to this IMO. The best way to teach reading to a young child is to read to them as often as possible and to expose a child to diverse experiences. Conversations are important as well. It's more important for a child to develop a love of reading and learning than for a young child to decode in isolation or learn site words. There's enough time for everything.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

bcky2
06-23-2005, 10:05 AM
see that is what i do, i read to them. i just have so many people saying how their kid could read by kindergarten and how my ds will be behind and i even had a relative ask if it was too early to test him for learning disabilities because he wouldnt stack some blocks the way she wanted and he wouldnt repeat the letters she was showing him. he was 2 at the time and he is very shy and doesnt like to talk. he is starting to sing the abc song and can count to ten and can tell you how many there is of something as long as it is 5 or less :) he is now 3 and has not been to daycare or preschool. we were not going to send him to preschool untill he is 4. people think that we are nuts and that he needs to be there now. i am just so confused :(

mudder17
06-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Okay, stop listening to them and trust your instincts! You know he is shy and you feel he would be better off not going to preschool until he is 4. You know him best and people should just mind their own business! I think pushing a child into anything in order to make them "advanced" or to make them like everyone else (assuming people are completely truthful about what their kids can or cannot do or could do at that age) is just going to stress him/her out. He sounds like he's just fine being able to sing the ABC song and count to 10. There is absolutely no reason why he HAS to read by kindergarten. That's why they teach reading in Kindergarten! Plus, you're doing exactly what you need to do--reading to him and trying to make it a fun and enjoyable activity. Don't worry about what everyone else says.

Hmm...I just reread what I wrote and I hope I didn't come off as snarky, but IMO, people really should mind their own business for things like this.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

bcky2
06-23-2005, 10:35 AM
no, i dont think you sounded snarky, i always like hearing your opinion. my dh keeps telling me we need to do what is right for us and not to listen to others, i just think i tend to hear more comments about things like this then he does. ugh, why do i let people make me question what i choose to do :(

tiapam
06-23-2005, 08:19 PM
I agree with PPs - you don't need this. Your son sounds like he is doing just fine. You are already doing the most important thing - reading to your child.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004