PDA

View Full Version : The last couple of weeks Sydneyis waking an hour earlier UGH

TraciG
06-23-2005, 09:55 AM
it's not because her room is bright , I checked it out, so what could it be ? Her whole schedule is now moved up, earlier morning & afternoon nap but bedtime is the same so she is really missing an hour of sleep, I dont want her to go to bed earlier, I think 8:00 is a good time plus it will be too difficult when we go out to family Friday night & she's up late, like until 10:30 !!!! Why would this happen all of a sudden ???????? Sydney will be 20 months in 6 days !!!

mudder17
06-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Hmm...that's a tough one. But if you're moving everything up an hour earlier except for her bedtime, it could be confusing her internal clock. Hmm...maybe you can try the clock radio trick? It's recently worked for Kaya (she's 16 months) and somehow she understands she should be sleeping (or at least quiet in her crib) until 6 a.m. when the clock radio goes off. But the other thing is that maybe you should go ahead and put her to bed an hour earlier, EXCEPT for the once a week activity. On those days, mabye you could put her down for an extra nap? The other thing I would suggestion is that you work towards consolidating her two naps into one, simply because one long nap is more restful and rejuvenating than two little naps.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

TraciG
06-23-2005, 02:09 PM
thank you for responding ! Sydney is old for 2 naps, I tried a couple of times for 1 nap after lunch but she only slept an hour so she missed sleep, unless it takes a few days until she sleeps longer for the one nap, I dont know ????????? I have music on for her all night, she has a CD player in her room . What time does your daughter go to sleep at night ?

I only moved everything up, like her breakfast because she likes to eat as soon as she's up or a half hour after so lunch time became earlier too & naptimes a little earlier, just strange that nothing different has changed with her until she decided to wake up an hour early .

mudder17
06-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Okay, although we transitioned her to one nap pretty quickly, it still took a few days for her to adjust. And as she got used to it, her single nap got longer. During those times, if I had to, I'd put her to bed early. As for a bedtime, my DD is probably on an earlier schedule than most toddlers here. She wakes at 6 a.m. (thanks to the clock radio), has a nap from 10 or 10:30 until 12:30 or 1:30 (all depends on the day), and goes to bed between 5 and 5:30. Depending on what kind of day she's had, she doesn't always fall asleep right away, but on those days, she usually just plays quietly in her crib until she falls asleep. She is usually asleep by 6 at the latest, often by 5:30. And yes, these days, Kaya likes to eat as soon as she wakes up or within 30 minutes. Maybe Sydney is just indicating that she wants an earlier bedtime or earlier schedule all around?

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

drsweetie
06-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey Traci, I seem to remember that when my DD was about Sydney's age, she went through a spell where for about a week or two she would wake up about an hour earlier than usual. Mostly during this time she would talk to her stuffed animals and roll around in her crib, although occasionally she'd cry briefly. DH and I just let her do it and usually if we left her alone she'd doze off again. Around the time we started thinking "Gee, maybe we should move her bedtime", she stopped doing it and we had another four months of normal sleep and wake times. What do you do when Sydney wakes up early? Assuming she's not screaming, if you ignore her, does she go back to sleep?

Ellen

TraciG
06-23-2005, 10:53 PM
She'll play a little, not long then cry, I shut the monitor but lay in bed annoyed ( I guess I was spoiled, months ago she'd wake up & play a long time now she hardly plays & is up around 6:15 or a little later ) she throws her blankets out of the crib on the floor, I dont know why she does this when she really wants them, she's a thumb sucker & sleeps with the blankets or just relaxes with them . I dont want to take her out or go to her before 6:45, the time used to be that we wouldn't go to her until 7:45 .

Maybe next week i'll try the one nap & put her to bed early.

thanks again

Sarah1
06-24-2005, 07:05 AM
Sometimes Audrey just goes through periods of a week or two where she wakes up unusually early or unusually late. I say just ride it out. I know those early wake-ups are really a bear, though. HTH :)

TraciG
06-24-2005, 10:13 AM
It just affects the whole day ( somewhat schedule )& it's hard because even though Sydney still takes her regular naps ( same amount of time ) she's more tired all day & more cranky , not a fun thing !