PDA

View Full Version : Curious Question re: miscarriages and Progesterone

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-23-2005, 12:54 PM
I am just curious...
Has anyone here been on Progesterone supplements for a pregnancy and had a miscarriage. I have no specific reason to ask this except for I was curious. I am convinced I have Bronwyn from these supplements. I have wondered this for awhile for a year ago I was told by my OB that they "think" it might help but that there was nothing concrete AT HE TIME that proved it...

My friend is pregnant and has suffered a miscarriage and I told her to check with her Dr about this and she kind of shrugged it off when I was so aggressive with mine and insisted on a script the second I found out I was pregnant.

Anyway really just curious for I see a trend lately of success with some of us who have miscarried before and taken supplements...

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

Calmegja2
06-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Not me, because my issues were immune related, but three of my girlfriends have miscarried while on progesterone, started with the positive test.

amp
06-23-2005, 01:34 PM
I never had low progesterone before. Jake was conceived and carried pefectly without it. So we don't know for sure if my miscarriage last fall was contributed to by it, but it is doubtful, both in my mind and in my OB's mind, for a few reasons.

That said, when I got pg w/ this baby, I was in no hurry to have any testing/bloodwork done, until a very dear friend convinced me that I should get some done. Thank God I did! She's an angel! They did bloodwork right away for reassurance and to check my HCG levels, and we found that I *did* have low progesterone this time, and immediately started me on Crinone gel. However, the research I did, and my OB confirmed, low progesteron CAN be a symptom of a mc already in progress or indicative of a problem rather than just the cause of it. I was past the point of implantation, so I held my breath, took the supplements and prayed that it wasn't pronging an inevitable miscarriage. I took the supplements from 5-12 wks. The baby is healthy and safe at this point, but I am convinced that implantation had already happened. Perhaps this helped to sustain it, but I suspect my body would have kicked into gear and things *probably* would have been fine. But I would NEVER have taken the chance of stopping the one thing I had control over, so I was very nervous when the time came to stop taking it at 12 wks. Seemed counterintuitive to stop a supplement that may have sustained a healthy pregnancy, even though I was convinced that this baby had already nestled in on it's own and that the last baby was lost due to a chromosomal problem.

that's just my experience.

icunurse
06-23-2005, 02:41 PM
My progesterone level was beyond fabulous, but I kept spotting, so my doc started me on the progesterone suppositories. I started bleeding heavier and they saw two heartbeats, so I was started on the progesterone oil injections. Six weeks later, US showed I had lost both of them. My friend, though, started out with horrible progesterone levels and through supplements ended up with a beautiful girl. From what other docs have told me, "there are just some pregnancies that can't be helped". But if it were me, I'd give them a try to know that I gave it my all.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

tigalig
06-23-2005, 02:43 PM
I was on progesterone and miscarried, but I think it was related to having had my uterus scarred shut from the first D&C (from my first pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage). So that might not be very helpful, but it did technically happen to me.

AND I'm the happiest mom that ever lived now. . . didn't want to end this on such a note.

jillmk
06-23-2005, 02:58 PM
I did too. :( I was on two applications of Crinone a day, and a miscarried at 5-6 weeks.

TaChapm
06-23-2005, 02:59 PM
I am 100% positive that the progesterone is what allowed me to remain pregnant with Jackson and Tyler. Prior to getting pregnant with Jackson I had a MC because my progesterone levels were too low. I did start taking it but it was a little too late. My RE is adament about getting his patients on progesterone when they have a history of low levels. When trying to conceive he would require mandatory testing through out the cycle (IVF or not) to check the levels because one month they can be fine and the next way too low.

If you remember I had no idea I could even get pregnant without IVF and we almost lost Tyler to low progesterone levels. By the time I took the test I was to the point of having a MC because my levels were so very low. Luckily I demanded my OB see me that day and we started progesterone injections before we even had the results of the tests back. I am convinced this is the only reason he is here.

You MUST be your own advocate in this situation and listen to your body. I wish your friend the best of luck! :)

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William EDD 6-28-05
http://lilypie.com/baby3/021110/0/2/1/-6/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/050628/1/0/1/-6/.png

deenass
06-23-2005, 03:00 PM
My good friend required progesterone to get pregnant with her first. SHe later got pregnant with a second (not on progesterone) and miscarried. She is now on it and hoping to get pregnant again.

momtogrant
06-23-2005, 03:48 PM
I think that Progesterone can never hurt. If there is a genetic abnormality or another problem a miscarriage would happen despite the progesterone. But, if the problem is low progesterone it COULD help, though I know the studies are not conclusive.
My experience is after 2 miscarriages the only difference with DS was that I used progesterone suppositories.

rrosen
06-23-2005, 04:24 PM
I have. In fact, I was on a very high dose of progesterone (600mg/day) Progesterone can't stop a m/c caused by genetic abnormality. 75% of m/c are due to a chromosomal abnormality, most typically a trisomy. I wish it were my magic pill but, 5 losses say it is not.

pixelprincess
06-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Most of the ART cycles require you to be on some kind of progesterone supplementation whether your body makes enough or not. I have done the PIO (pain the in the @ss) shots as well as the suppositories with my cycles. I spotted and bled like crazy during my successful cycle up until 18 weeks thanks to a subchorionic hematoma but was asked to stop the Progesterone at 10 weeks. As far as I know it works best in the early stages when your body isn't generating enough. Here is some info from Dr. Beer, a well known entity in the IF circles. http://repro-med.net/papers/progest.php.

p.s.. I also tried some sort of a natural progesterone cream supplement. Not sure if it did anything other than give me a sense of control on my otherwise out of whack body.

Momof3Labs
06-23-2005, 04:49 PM
The corpus luteum, which is what is left behind on the ovaries after ovulation, is what produces progesterone and continues through about week 10-12. (Of course, if you aren't pregnant, the production slows down at the end of the cycle and drops close to zero when AF arrives.) At that point in a pregnancy, the placenta takes over. That's why women on P4 support are normally weaned off of it by around week 10-12.

The word around the RE community is that progesterone never hurts (if you get more than you need, it gets flushed out of the body and does no harm) and sometimes helps. As Becca says, it won't stop a m/c UNLESS the reason for the miscarriage is low progesterone levels. OBs don't seem nearly as eager to use progesterone on women with histories of miscarriage; who knows why.

My RE uses progesterone supplements (oral or vaginal, sometimes PIO) on all ART cycles.

HannaAddict
06-23-2005, 04:56 PM
A close relative had no problem getting pregnant (she's in her late twenties) but miscarried 3 times early on. Her last pregnancy, her 4th, she was finally prescribed progesterone and has a beautiful, perfect daughter. All her miscarriages were right around eight or nine weeks and her doctors (Navy health care) really blew off her concerns.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

June Mommy
06-23-2005, 05:19 PM
With my first pregnancy, the only test I had was a blood pregnancy test, then I spotted and miscarried before I knew anything was wrong at around 6 weeks. So by the time I got pregnant again, I was convinced I had low progesterone and that was the reason for the m/c. My progesterone tested at 12.9, low but not extremely low, and started taking oral progesterone. It must have been around 14-15 dpo, as soon as I got to the doctor. Unfortunately, I m/c again anyway. I was sure I must have started P4 too late, so when I got pregnant the 3rd time (with DS) I started it as soon as I ovulated, this time with a stronger dosage. I had a progesterone test and it was up to 95, but my hcg still wasn't doubling. Convinced I was m/c again, at that point I started a baby aspirin a day and prayed nonstop (and continued progesterone the first trimester) and I have a beautiful DS who is almost 1 year old. I said all that to say, even though my prog. was low to start with, I don't think in my case it is what caused me to m/c or saved my DS, since it didn't have an effect on my hcg #'s. BUT like pp's have said, I don't think it can hurt, either, esp. if it gives you peace of mind.

JBaxter
06-23-2005, 05:46 PM
I just learned that 15% of all pregnacies end in misscarriage. Pregnancy meaning the egg is fertilized. I was shocked to find out the number was so high. We suffered a loss earlier this month and I never dreamed so many other women go through this. I never though about progesterone but when we get pregnant again I will bring it up with my OB :)

Jeana mom to...Logan 13 Connor 10 and Nathan who is
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031115/0/5/1/+10/.png[/img][/url]

MelissaTC
06-23-2005, 06:42 PM
I have progesterone issues and was given progesterone suppositories and stayed on them to 11 weeks. I was given it after I miscarried my first pregnancy....

amp
06-23-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It really is a very difficult thing to deal with and I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am.

jk3
06-23-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm sorry too. I think the number is actually higher than that. Once you experience a loss, people who have mc seem to come out of the woodwork.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

muskiesusan
06-23-2005, 07:57 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

I read an article that said every sexually active woman will experience a miscarriage at some point, but most won't know realize it. I thought that was really interesting.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

alkagift
06-23-2005, 08:04 PM
Becca,
I am so sorry, I didn't know this has happened to you so many times. You have my complete sympathies. BIG hugs to you, really big hugs.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

bcky2
06-23-2005, 08:13 PM
i am sorry for your loss, i think that it may even be more then 15%. maybe that is the "reported" ones that are considered in that 15%.

as for the progesterone i never even thought about that. i was between 11 and 12 weeks when i had my mc. all my doc said was you can always try again and at least you know that you are fertile! ugh, i never went back to that doc.

slknight
06-23-2005, 08:43 PM
I was not on progesterone when I m/c five almost five years ago, but I doubt it would have helped. If you have a genetic clotting disorder like I do, progesterone isn't going to make a world of difference. Heparin, baby aspirin, and huge doses of folic acid *might* make a difference, but progesterone won't.

rrosen
06-24-2005, 07:42 AM
Thank you Allison. That was very kind of you to say.
Big hugs right back at you.

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-24-2005, 09:40 AM
I didn't know that either...big hugs from me too girlie!!!!
They bite the big one and going thru 5 is more than anyone should ever have to be dealt on their plate!- we love you girlie!

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-24-2005, 09:44 AM
thoughts are with you!

with Bronwyn the second I pee'd on that stick I packed up Tristan and drove to the nearest hospital...there at the receptionist desk as you enter I called my OB and gave him the number to the lab there and asked him to order me a stat progesterone and quant Beta...I had a needle in my arm within 40 minutes of pee'ing on the stick!!!!!!

I had results in 1 hour!!!!!

I had a script called in to the pharmacy and knew I was pregnant befre heading home!!!!!

Next time around stay on top of your Dr's...it is really nothing big for them to do such things we just ned tos peak up sometimes!!!!

I had a repeat blood test done two days later at the same hospital and results within an hour again...
Neve

aliceinwonderland
06-24-2005, 09:47 AM
I agree that the number is kind of shocking. Sorry this happened to you.

e.

kijip
06-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Well with my last mc I was on progesterone 2x/day from the first evening post positive urine test. We still had a missed mc followed by a D and C since there was no cardiac function on the second ultrasound. When we try again my doctor wants me on progesterone 4 days after ovulation. In addition I am already on baby aspirin, 4 grams folate, a prenatal, and high dose B vitamins. I am in the "well it can't hurt" catagory. Most women who mc 1-4 times will be able to carry their next pregnancy to term. Or at least that is what I have read/been told. But I think the hormones did help, especially in regards to calming my nerves.

ribbit1019
06-24-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm so sorry Jeana! It is so horrible to have to go through that. I've been there far too many times.
Big hugs to you and your family!

Christy
Maddy says "Hi baby!" Such a little parrot!

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Surprise!
http://lilypie.com/days/060221/0/21/0/-5/.png[/img][/url]

jec2
06-24-2005, 02:38 PM
jeana, sorry to hear about your loss. hugs sweetie.

Bethann31
06-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Jeana,

I am so very sorry for your loss. I went through this just a couple of months ago as well, and I had no idea how high the percentage was either. Up until then I was 4 for 4 and thought I was invincible.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamsvi20030604_4_Katherine+Grace+is.png

nov02mom
06-24-2005, 04:35 PM
I had 2 m/c's due to low prog. levels....so when I got pregnant with Jacob they checked very early!! My levels were terrible, so I started on supplements right away.....although....it's such a bad feeling just waiting to see if you m/c again. Needless to say- they worked this time!!!