PDA

View Full Version : Are cubic zirconia rings just too tacky?

Calmegja2
06-23-2005, 01:12 PM
I have CZ earrings that I wear instead of diamond studs, and I challenge anyone, unless they were a jeweler under a scope, to tell the difference.

I also have a few CZ rings ( my Mamaw had a thing for CZ, and she left it all to me) that are just gorgeous, and you cannot tell at all, again, unless you were under a scope.

I get more compliments on one in particular than I do on my actual diamond engagement ring. LOL!

aliceinwonderland
06-23-2005, 01:22 PM
I personally would rather go without anything on rather than wear cubic zirconia. Just my personal preference.

OT, but I used to work with a lady that wore a 9 carat diamond ring, and if you did not know her one would assume that ring was CZ as it was so huge. I mean, especially when she wore black, you could not help but notice this huge thing in her very petite fingers! I'm not even a huge jewellry person myself!

e.

geochick
06-23-2005, 01:24 PM
I say go for the cz! I think the real giveaway with czs is that they are often mounted on lesser quality mounts. With earrings/rings, make sure you get enough prongs so that it looks like you are trying to protect the real thing. I would also make sure you get good metal mounts (14K gold, etc.) so that it looks good. Czs only cost a few cents to make, so you see a lot of them on cheap mounts. I have a diamond ring and cz earrings, I can't tell the difference and I'm a geologist! Good luck.

Sarah1
06-23-2005, 01:41 PM
>I personally would rather go without anything on rather than
>wear cubic zirconia. Just my personal preference.
>
ITA with Eri. I don't know why...maybe it's because CZ is just so cheap or because it's an imitation of something. I say buy another stone. A lot of people are not going for diamonds these days.

C99
06-23-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't get it: why would you buy something that looks like a diamond if you are trying to make a statement about not supporting the diamond industry by not buying diamonds? I would go for another stone instead, even if you can't wear it every day. A good friend of mine just got a ruby engagement ring.

Mommy_Again
06-23-2005, 02:45 PM
They make some really good CZ stuff these days. It's not like when it first came out when it was totally obvious. If you find a good source, you'll have a hard time telling the difference.

I am not sure what type of ring you are going for, but I love the big cocktail rings made out of semi-precious stones that are popular. The center stone is the size of a dime or bigger, with diamonds (or in your case, CZ) surrounding it in various mount styles. Depending on the quaility of the center stone, you could get a gorgeous ring for only a few thousand dollars.

tigalig
06-23-2005, 02:53 PM
I have grown to love diamonds and I would say that you should wear what you like period. As mentioned in a pp though, I might reconsider liking the look of diamonds, if you're trying to make a statement against them. Unless, of course, you're going to tell everyone that it's a CZ - in which case, who cares what people think? It could be a good opportunity for you to *educate* the world, while loving your diamond-looking CZ.

jasabo
06-23-2005, 02:56 PM
I don't think they look bad, as long as you get a tasteful size (not a big ole 5 carot monstrosity ;) ). I have a pair of Diamonique (from QVC) earings that I really like and I get compliments on them all the time. They're on the smaller side b/c I think large ones do look fake. I wear them much more often then my real diamond earrings b/c I'm always afraid I'll lose my real diamonds. With the fake, it's not such a big deal if they get lost.

That said, if you like the way it looks and it makes you happy, go for it!! Who cares what other people think :)

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

deenass
06-23-2005, 02:59 PM
HAve fun and buy a CZ!!!! I highly reccomend QVC's Diamonique line, I bought a HUGE enagagement ring & wedding band that I wear when we go on vacation (since I don't like to take my diamond ring in pools or beaches and don't wnat to leave it in a hotel room). I get more compliments on that ring then I do my engagement ring. It's totally fun to wear and was fun to shop for (I wnet throught teir website late one night, ordered 10 rings and sent back the ones I didn't like).

Jewelry should be fun and you should enjoy what you wear and you don't have to spend 2,000 to look like you are wearing a $2,000 ring!

As for knowing the difference, a jeweler complimented my ring. Grnated he didn't see it under a scope, but I figure, most people can't tell the difference from where they are standing and he proved the point.

cara1
06-23-2005, 03:12 PM
What political/moral issues?

mommymia
06-23-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm not trying to make a statement. I just don't want my money going to the diamond industry.

mommymia
06-23-2005, 03:39 PM
"What political/moral issues?"

Well, like this, for example (see link below). Also, diamonds are not rare. Their distribution is just highly limited in order to create a false sense of supply-and-demand pressures.

But I am not at all trying to start a debate or judge anyone who wears them, I just wanted to know about CZs.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/amnestynow/diamonds.html

StaceyKim
06-23-2005, 03:49 PM
interesting article.
maybe you should contact oprah (she seems to have the most beautiful diamond earrings, rings, necklaces, etc. that i have ever seen!)
i am sure she doesn't want to support terrorists
i wonder what she would say about the article

mommymia
06-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Interesting thought. There has been a lot of press about diamonds (the only reason I know anything about them) so I would assume Oprah knows. But if she did a program on them, I'm sure it would reach many more people quickly.

loewymartin
06-23-2005, 03:53 PM
What about moissanite? I have moissanite earrings that I love. I didn't want to spend a lot on diamonds, but wanted the look and came across these. They look like diamonds, are hard like diamonds (so you can presumably have a ring made and it will be hard like a diamond) etc.

Michelle
Mom to Alia born 5/16/02 and the GIRL! peanut due 8/13/05

bunnisa
06-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Someone I know has a (VERY expensive) 3 carat ring, and when the jeweler was sizing her, he asked if she'd like a duplicate in CZ. He told her that most of his clients with larger stones wore the duplicates and kept the real one locked up.

Bethany
mom to William 6/03
and another little one due late Feb '06!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png

Marisa6826
06-23-2005, 04:40 PM
My engagement ring is quite large - larger than I ever anticipated. It belonged to Jonathan's Mother, and she left it to him when she died. The ring iself is at least 20yo.

Hydra (a/k/a) tried REALLY REALLY hard to get me to have a fake made and put the real one back in the bank. My feeling is, if you're going to have a ring, why hide it? It's meant to be worn and enjoyed - not collect dust in a safe deposit bank.

Granted, I'm not travelling the high seas on the QE2 or the streets of Europe - Just Whole Foods and Trader Joes ;), but I still can't see wearing a fake and hiding the real one. I do, however, turn it if we are in a somewhat questionable area, or taking the subway.

-m

mommymia
06-23-2005, 04:41 PM
I have never been one for fancy jewelry, but I've grown to like the look of diamonds. At the risk of offending anyone here, I just could never buy diamonds because of all the political/moral problems associated with them. (Almost all my married friends have diamond rings and I am not making a judgement call, I'm just stating my own personal preference.)

I'm thinking of instead getting a cubic zirconia ring. But I'm not sure if it's something that would look weird and if those who know about jewelry would just think I'm tacky for wearing a fake. Or, are there CZs that really do look real?

Thank you.

aliceinwonderland
06-23-2005, 04:45 PM
My ring is pretty old too (wanted that old European cut: round stone set in square). But it's not large ;)

Though after working with the lady with the 9 carat diamond ring, anything DH gets me or I get myself the rest of our lives together will look puny by comparison. LOL.

e.

Puddy73
06-23-2005, 04:47 PM
A friend of mine is a jeweler who specializes in appraisals. He said that it is often impossible for even a jeweler to tell a good quality cz from a diamond without a scope. For the price, QVC and HSN both have some good cz jewelry. Have fun!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

HannaAddict
06-23-2005, 05:12 PM
I agree about wearing your real ring. I love my engagement ring and band. Both "estate" pieces, diamond set in platinum (band has tiny channel set diamonds) from the 1930's. They were my husband's grandmothers. I loved the setting and now the look is "in" again too. (He and his brothers lucked out. His older brother inherited a large, miner's cut solitaire on a lovely substantial band. Younger brother inherited a ring too, but decided to buy one and was the Visa Magic Moment winner when they rang up his diamond ring! He didn't even know there was a contest until they credited his account and asked for a release for press purposes.)

The diamond industry is awful and I think it would be a great idea for Oprah to do a segment on it. (She has my favorite earrings, gorgeous teardrop diamonds.) I have some lovely earrings (not as nice as Oprahs), also from estate diamonds, so I feel a little better about them. I hope they were made before the diamond cartel had a lock on the industry. Maybe that is wishful thinking.

But I see nothing wrong with CZ and getting the look, some sparkles, without the ethical quandry of supporting an industry that is responsible for some really terrible atrocities. The desire for a "diamond" is really great marketing by DeBeers.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

papal
06-23-2005, 05:30 PM
i just sent an email to Oprah... maybe she is unaware of this issue. I am with the PP, I can't get myself to buy a diamond.. this after reading a National Geographic about the conditions of the mines in Africa.
Another option is getting antique diamond rings.. they probably don't have the history attached to them that todays diamonds do. Or there are so many other pretty stones. Like the op said, diamonds are NOT rare.. De Beers artificially controls the supply and demand to make them look like they are precious.. if their vaults were opened up, diamonds would be no more precious than CZ.. ha! Also, it was De Beers (i am pretty sure) who started the whole 'tradition' of getting an diamond ring for an engagement.. this did not exist a 100 years ago.. and then they upped the ante by saying a ring must be worth X percentage of your monthly pay or some such crap. I might be talking out of my large behind though.. so feel free to correct me if i am wrong.
Oh yeah, and the new De Beers campaign to ingrain into the psyche that now for an anniversary you should give a THREE diamond ring (past, future, present), makes me want to beat someone. Slick ads. Don't get me wrong... i get caught up in the hype sometimes too.

ETA: here is the national geographic article that enlightened me.
http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/data/2002/03/01/html/ft_20020301.1.html

miki
06-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Go ahead and get a good quality CZ. Or one of the other names that artificial diamonds go by. They will actually look better to the average person than ordinary diamonds (by ordinary I mean not the 9 carats Eri's talking about) because the fake kind have more fire, more sparkle. You'd have to go to a jeweler to tell the difference.

HannaAddict
06-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Don't forget the new ad campaign designed to get women to buy their own ring, the ring for your right hand. I saw a dateline type story about this ad campaign and how they dreamed it up to reach career women and/or women who aren't married but have $$ to spend. I see the ads all the time now. Wonder when they will tell women to spend 2 mos salary on their right hand ring!

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

papal
06-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Very clever marketing, no doubt about it.
It is ingrained into the psyche.. size of the diamond on an engagement ring etc.. my dh refuses to ever buy me diamonds... when i have watched a particulary romantic movie, i too want a diamond ring.. just shows how easy it is to be manipulated.. lol.

papal
06-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Oprah hosted a 'Legends Ball'... all these famous black women were honoured.. she gave everyone these diamond earrings... oh how i wish she had given some other stone.. she has the power to reverse a trend and start a new one. Then again, she may have been bought by De Beers too!

muskiesusan
06-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Diamond engagement rings have been popular for centuries among European royalty/uppercrest, but you are right that DeBeers made it a must have for the common folk.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

jasabo
06-23-2005, 06:31 PM
See, I think it's so interesting how she fights so hard for the rights of women and children in Africa, etc., yet still buys diamonds by the bucketful....I wonder how she justifies that to herself.

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

muskiesusan
06-23-2005, 06:34 PM
My engagement ring, as well as earrings and a necklace, have diamonds mined in Canada. I felt better about them since they were "bloodless" or "conflict" free, however, I then read an article that made a really good point that the only way to truely make a difference is to quite buying diamonds, real and fake, Canadian or antique. Basically, until the desirability of the stone is removed, the prices will not come down and it will still be a big market for terrorists, etc.

I will try and find the article and link it, but it's been a while since I read it.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

MelissaTC
06-23-2005, 06:39 PM
I also recommend Diamonque. I bought myself a three stone princess cut on white gold that is awesome. It is 3 carats and I love it to pieces. I also have the matching earrings and a heart necklace. I am impressed by the quality and for the price, I can treat myself when I want. I also own diamond jewelry and other stones. Tanazite is actually my favorite. :)

StaceyKim
06-23-2005, 07:35 PM
i think she should do a segment on it for sure
but then she would have to get rid of all those beautiful diamonds!
hmmmmm

keep us posted on the oprah feedback

rashmi,
congrats on the pg! i haven't been here too much lately and i just saw the siggie! you must be so excited!!!

jbowman
06-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Marisa,

I actually have a copy/fake of my engagement ring (it was the "prototype"--a CZ in sterling silver). One of my best friends designed it--it is hilarious to have *two* rings. I have my "real" engagement ring insured and I wear it most of the time, but I did wear the fake when I was in Italy last month. Sorry, this is OT of the original post!

pritchettzoo
06-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Some options other than CZ:
Moissanite (supposed to be superior to CZ but still a man-made stone): http://www.moissanite.com/index.cfm
Conflict-free diamonds (google search will give you more info; I believe Canada has laws governing certification but not the US)
Heirloom stones ("Old European" cut diamonds are stunning IMO. My engagement ring's center stone is a sapphire with OECs on the side, so I'm biased. ;))
White Sapphires (not quite the same sparkle though)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

KBecks
06-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Check out www.betterthandiamond.com. I hope that's OK to post. It's a site with good simulants and they also have nice pieces. However, they are not inexpensive CZs. Another shopping site is www.czjewelry.com

Also there is a diamonds forum that is great online called www.diamondtalk.com. They have a whole board devoted to simulants.

I only have my engagement ring, but any new jewelry for me would be good fakes. However, my lifestyle does not create a need for me to own more sparklies, even fakes would probably be a waste of money right now.

There is some beautiful stuff out there, have fun!

aliceinwonderland
06-24-2005, 04:38 PM
I agree of the "Old European" cut :) That's what I have, but it was bought at an estate jewlery store, it's not a hairloom :(

My friend, on the other way was given something (same cut) that had been in her husband's family forever. That ring is one of the most beautiful things I've seen. And neither hers nor mine are huge at all. It's just the way the stones are set...

nov02mom
06-24-2005, 04:40 PM
I have several thoughts.....1st- Have you thought about Moissonite (maybe wrong spelling) I know the guys who invented this stuff, and it really looks GOOD!!!! Not cheap, but not nearly what a real diamond would go for.
2nd- Can you talk to a reputable (not a mall jeweler) about having a fake made? I have several pieces of jewelry that I very rarely take out of the safety deposit box, and I have VERY GOOD fakes of them. Trust me, only my jeweler and myself know!!!

nov02mom
06-24-2005, 04:40 PM
I have several thoughts.....1st- Have you thought about Moissonite (maybe wrong spelling) I know the guys who invented this stuff, and it really looks GOOD!!!! Not cheap, but not nearly what a real diamond would go for.
2nd- Can you talk to a reputable (not a mall jeweler) about having a fake made? I have several pieces of jewelry that I very rarely take out of the safety deposit box, and I have VERY GOOD fakes of them. Trust me, only my jeweler and myself know!!!

pritchettzoo
06-24-2005, 08:50 PM
LOL--mine's not an heirloom either (no rich relatives + bad taste in jewelry anyway). I guess I worded that badly. I just meant old diamonds. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

tina-t
06-26-2005, 12:54 AM
I did not get to read all the posts, but I would recommend the QVC line of diamonique. It is very hard to distinguish from a real diamond.

lisams
06-26-2005, 12:48 PM
I think CZ is a great alternative for people who don't want to put thier money into the diamond industry. I don't wear jewelry often so it seemed ridiculous to spend so much money on something that will only be used a handful of times a year. I have a pair of small CZ earrings that I really like.

No one will know either way and you'll feel good knowing you didn't put money into the diamond industry.

Lisa

elvisfan
06-26-2005, 04:28 PM
>I have never been one for fancy jewelry, but I've grown to
>like the look of diamonds. At the risk of offending anyone
>here, I just could never buy diamonds because of all the
>political/moral problems associated with them. (Almost all my
>married friends have diamond rings and I am not making a
>judgement call, I'm just stating my own personal preference.)
>
>
>I'm thinking of instead getting a cubic zirconia ring. But I'm
>not sure if it's something that would look weird and if those
>who know about jewelry would just think I'm tacky for wearing
>a fake. Or, are there CZs that really do look real?
>
>Thank you.
There were "issues" around my original wedding set and so I then opted for an Epiphany set from QVC.Hand to heart, everyone I encounter thinks it's real.My MIL has a real "rock" and it looks just like hers
If I had known about Epiphany round the time of my engagement, it would have saved a lot of tears and heartache.

aliceinwonderland
06-28-2005, 04:43 PM
and over the weekend i was reading a news magazine where there'a several big adds soliciting applications for executive jobs, etc. and there was one for something called something like The Council for Responsible Jewllwery Practices--so I guess the diamond issue is not as obscure as I once thought.

e.