PDA

View Full Version : Need gift ideas for neighbors

momma_boo
06-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Our neighbors who have lived here only about 3 years are moving back to their home country - Yemen (the father works as a diplomat-related job). They've always been very friendly and when DD#1 was born, the mom sent over warm food every day for about 2 weeks.

We'd like to get them something small ($20) as a nice gesture, but I have no clue what on earth to get them.

Any suggestions?

deenass
06-23-2005, 02:44 PM
What about a book about the town you live in (like the history of the town), most local bookstores carry them. It's a nice reminder of where they lived.

tigalig
06-23-2005, 02:56 PM
We have a place at the mall that sells photographs (framed and unframed) of beautiful canopy roads in our town. Maybe you could find something similar (Chamber of Commerce might know). It would be a nice reminder for them.

murpheyblue
06-23-2005, 03:01 PM
I think something specific to the place where you live would be a lovely momento for them. If you can't find anything, a frame or photo album where they could put photos of their time here would be nice.

It's so nice to hear about good neighbors. I think many places are becoming decidely unneighborly these days.

wilelm
06-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Esther,

I just thought I'd let you know that no matter what you give them, it's a great idea. Having married into the Arab culture 8 years ago, I can tell you they take good neighbors VERY seriously. I took an Arabic Folktales class in college, and many of the folktales deal with neighbors and hospitality--it's a very important and serious subject to them.

Sheila
Mother of Miriam, 03/10/03 and
Gabriel, 12/30/04

Marisa6826
06-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Esther-

Is their house nice? What about taking a nice picture of it and placing it in a pretty frame?

-m

aliceinwonderland
06-23-2005, 05:11 PM
I was going to say the same thing...I very much regret not buying a small painting/professional picture of the brownstone in Boston DH and I first lived together :) I'm planning to get one as soon as we go back:)