PDA

View Full Version : When you leave DC how do you handle potential medical problems?

mattiew
06-23-2005, 03:35 PM
OK I know that subject line was terrible but I can't think of how I want to phrase my question concisely so here goes......when you and your spouse are traveling without your children do you leave a legal form that allows someone else to make decisions regarding their medical care? I know I have seen this posted before but have been unable to find the post! We have never done this in the past but DH is suddenly worried about our next trip.

Thanks!
Carrie

hobey
06-23-2005, 04:23 PM
When DH & I went away last month and left DS with my parents, we left a written authorization that both of us signed along with DS's insurance card authorizing my parents to make any medical decisions on our behalf in the event something bad happened. We included start & end dates as well as a secondary contact (my FIL).

HTH!

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

macassi
06-23-2005, 04:37 PM
I leave a "to whom it may concern" note giving my parents authority to authorize medical care. I leave the insurance card and/or copies of it. In the note, I also include our contact information (cell phone, etc.), my pediatrician's contact information and location, our preferred hospital, and my daughter's medical condition and current medications (she's on daily treatment for asthma) along with her escalation plan. It seems like overkill since my parents know this information, and I usually include it in an overall instruction sheet, but I figure it's better to do overkill. I picture them in an emergency being able to hand the ambulance driver the sheet and going here, read this instead of trying to remember medication and doctor names.